Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 12:23 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

This column was written by a black college undergrad at Columbia. He's been taking the punditry by storm by calmly and logically rebutting the dominant liberal view on blacks in America, in particular rebutting Te-Nehisi Coates.

In this article he takes aim at the widely held belief among many liberals that the black wealth gap is caused by slavery and government supported residential segregation beginning with redlining in 30s.

https://quillette.com/2018/07/19/bla...al-wealth-gap/

Quote:
But slavery is hardly the root cause of America’s prosperity. If it were, then we would expect American states that practiced slavery to be richer than those that did not. Yet we see precisely the opposite. The South, where slavery thrived, was “the poorest and most backward region of the country,” according to the economist Thomas Sowell.1 This remains true today.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-19-2018 at 01:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 12:36 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
This column was written by a black college undergrad at Columbia. He's been taking the punditry by storm by calmly and logically rebutting the dominant liberal view on blacks in America, in particular rebutting Te-Nehisi Coates.

In this article he takes aim at the widely held belief among many liberals that the black wealth gap is caused by slavery and government supported residential segregation beginning with redlining in 30s.

https://quillette.com/2018/07/19/bla...al-wealth-gap/

Should not you have waited for such an article from someone who actually graduated? I mean....a USC undergrad is hardly "credentials"...lol. However, I imaging it would be much harder to find such garbage reasoning from someone who actually had some credentials.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:43 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Should not you have waited for such an article from someone who actually graduated? I mean....a USC undergrad is hardly "credentials"...lol. However, I imaging it would be much harder to find such garbage reasoning from someone who actually had some credentials.
He goes to Columbia. The article is well written with plenty of citations. He is clearly a smarty young man.

Do you have an argument against the article? Can you comprehend what has been written?

Old 07-19-2018, 12:47 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
too bad you lack the fortitude to attack the arguments he made, rather than him personally..

Old 07-19-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
He goes to Columbia. The article is well written with plenty of citations. He is clearly a smarty young man.

Do you have an argument against the article? Can you comprehend what has been written?

Well.....first off you have to note the secondary and tertiary impact of "slavery" on the economy. Slavery may have been banned in the north, but businesses and profit from the slave trade was not banned from the north. The insurance industry, the banking industry, Real Estate, Ship building, et al, all got growth and profit from the slave trade and was not limited to "the south".

Secondly, Southern states were poor because they remained in the OLD ECONOMY of agriculture, when the nation was transitioning to the industrial revolution, a revolution financed and made possible by the the agrarian era, which was made profitable via slavery. Think of the rust belt and how being heavy manufacturing based hurt the region when manufacturing declined and we moved to information technology. It would be assassin to thus argue that manufacturing played very little role in the growth and prosperity of the nation based upon how poorly the rust belt has been doing relative to the rest of the nation as of late.

Finally, the north had slavery also....it just ended it before the south did.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 07-19-2018 at 01:03 PM..

Old 07-19-2018, 01:07 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,773 times
Growing up in the South, in a minority majority area, I have seen this with my own eyes. Go ahead and call me a racist, get that out of your system. For anyone else with an open mind, I will tell you my experiences.

In middle school, there were lots of black kids on the honor roll. We would get a pizza party in the library, an hour lunch. All of the kids knew each other. It was a small town. By the time we reached high school, it changed. There were only 3 black males left on the honor roll. Plenty of black girls, plenty of Latinas, 2 Asian girls, one Jewish girl. The 3 black males, were picked on constantly. I saw one sucker punched for no reason at a bus stop. They were afraid to be around other back males. 2 were in band with me. They were smart, and I am sure they all made it to college. They were accused of wanting to be white. They were shunned.

Most of the black males assumed the "thug" culture. They acted out in school. Caused fights. 13 got arrested for gang raping a girl. How can anyone explain this change in behavior, other than they were influenced by those around them. It wasn't slavery coming back to keep them down. It wasn't the white man sneaking in the bushes. These smart kids were transformed into low life criminals.

It is truly sad. Blacks in other countries don't act this way, it is truly an American invention. It plays into the fallacy from the white supremacists that blacks are inferior.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post
Growing up in the South, in a minority majority area, I have seen this with my own eyes. Go ahead and call me a racist, get that out of your system. For anyone else with an open mind, I will tell you my experiences.

In middle school, there were lots of black kids on the honor roll. We would get a pizza party in the library, an hour lunch. All of the kids knew each other. It was a small town. By the time we reached high school, it changed. There were only 3 black males left on the honor roll. Plenty of black girls, plenty of Latinas, 2 Asian girls, one Jewish girl. The 3 black males, were picked on constantly. I saw one sucker punched for no reason at a bus stop. They were afraid to be around other back males. 2 were in band with me. They were smart, and I am sure they all made it to college. They were accused of wanting to be white. They were shunned.

Most of the black males assumed the "thug" culture. They acted out in school. Caused fights. 13 got arrested for gang raping a girl. How can anyone explain this change in behavior, other than they were influenced by those around them. It wasn't slavery coming back to keep them down. It wasn't the white man sneaking in the bushes. These smart kids were transformed into low life criminals.

It is truly sad. Blacks in other countries don't act this way, it is truly an American invention. It plays into the fallacy from the white supremacists that blacks are inferior.

Ignoring all of that, sorry, most WEALTH comes from home values. In the free market, price or value is determined by the interplay of supply and demand. Ignoring the inheritable aspect of wealth, for the moment, homes values are most influenced by WHITE DEMAND. Why? Its more white people than any other race. Whites have higher incomes than blacks. Thus, more whites and more money means that whites are the biggest DEMAND influence in the real estate market, home values and appreciation rates....and hence wealth.

Here is the thing. All races are generally attracted to areas where whites live, while whites are generally not attracted to areas where other races live. This means that the market forces to build home appreciation, value and hence wealth are greatest in white communities. Whites lack of desire for non white areas is what keeps property values lower in black communities and hence wealth. When whites do find a black area attractive......its only because they see a future where the area will become mostly white via gentrification as blacks will often get pushed out of the market.

When too many blacks start moving in....white demand wanes and the community declines in value and wealth often due to the lack of white dollars chasing those properties.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 07-19-2018 at 01:34 PM..

Old 07-19-2018, 01:27 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Well.....first off you have to note the secondary and tertiary impact of "slavery" on the economy. Slavery may have been banned in the north, but businesses and profit from the slave trade was not banned from the north. The insurance industry, the banking industry, Real Estate, Ship building, etc all got growth and profit from the slave trade and was not limited to "the south".

Secondly, Southern states were poor because they remained in the OLD ECONOMY of agriculture, when the nation was transitioning to the industrial revolution, a revolution financed and made possible by the the agrarian era, which was made profitable via slavery. Think of the rust belt and how being heavy manufacturing based hurt the region when manufacturing declined and we moved to information technology. It would be assassin to thus argue that manufacturing played very little role in the growth and prosperity of the nation based upon how poorly the rust belt has been doing relative to the rest of the nation as of late.

Finally, the north had slavery also....it just ended it before the south did.
Precisely. This argument is very easy to rebut just looking at the three sectors of economic activity. The economy of the Southern states was based on the primary sector (the extraction of raw goods, e.g. agriculture and mining) while the economy of the Northern states had more to do with taking those raw goods and manufacturing them into products for consumers, which is the secondary sector. Today, the tertiary economy defines modern economies around the world and is more popularly known as the service industry, and the Northern states also had a big leg up on the Southern states here as well with the banking industry being a primary example. There is a direct correlation between reliance on these sectors and wealth/prosperity; the poorest countries in the world are largely agricultural, developing nations have demonstrated successful transition to large-scale manufacturing, the world's advanced economies are deeply involved with the sale/utilization of services and information (information-based industries are sometimes classified as the quaternary sector).

Apparently this kid is unaware of how slavery supported higher wealth-generating activities in the secondary and tertiary sectors, not just in the U.S., but in Europe as well. As far as I'm concerned, the kid easily gets an F. This stuff is taught in high school...or at least it used to be.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Precisely. This argument is very easy to rebut just looking at the three sectors of economic activity. The economy of the Southern states was based on the primary sector (the extraction of raw goods, e.g. agriculture and mining) while the economy of the Northern states had more to do with taking those raw goods and manufacturing them into products for consumers, which is the secondary sector. Today, the tertiary economy defines modern economies around the world and is more popularly known as the service industry, and the Northern states also had a big leg up on the Southern states here as well with the banking industry being a primary example. There is a direct correlation between reliance on these sectors and wealth/prosperity; the poorest countries in the world are largely agricultural, developing nations have demonstrated successful transition to large-scale manufacturing, the world's advanced economies are deeply involved with the sale/utilization of services and information (information-based industries are sometimes classified as the quaternary sector).

Apparently this kid is unaware of how slavery supported higher wealth-generating activities in the secondary and tertiary sectors, not just in the U.S., but in Europe as well. As far as I'm concerned, the kid easily gets an F. This stuff is taught in high school...or at least it used to be.

{hands clapping} Much more eloquently stated than I did....but FACTS!

Apparently not only was the kid unaware.....so are the people who were impressed by it.

I am thinking maybe its not that hard to get into Columbia as I thought.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:05 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsvibe View Post

None of this happened in a vacuum; a good book to read that explores the history behind this is Acting White: The Ironic Legacy of Desegregation.

But truthfully, this is irrelevant. Firstly, at every level of educational attainment, the median wealth among Black families is substantially lower than White families. White households with a bachelor’s degree or post-graduate education (such as with a Ph.D., MD, and JD) are more than three times as wealthy as Black households with the same degree attainment. Moreover, on average, a Black household with a college-educated head has less wealth than a White family whose head did not even obtain a high school diploma. Secondly, the real estate market has mechanisms in place that enforce and maintain racial segregation, regardless of socioeconomic status, and this plays a huge role in maintaining the racial wealth gap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies