Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 12:52 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times

Advertisements

You Republicans complain nonstop about the poor getting stuff for free. You vote Republican to get rid of one of the stingiest social safety nets in the world.

There is another side to that coin. The young woman in the video below currently gets an allowance of $1000 a month and it's not enough. Corporate welfare creates people like the one below, and you voted for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUT4XrD2N8o

Last edited by Tonyafd; 07-20-2018 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 05:50 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Didn't watch the video. I won't subject myself to that because I am a Republican, and I do not support corporate welfare. If the corporation cannot stand on their own, than they should not stand. Let the free market decide who is worthy.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:58 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Didn't watch the video. I won't subject myself to that because I am a Republican, and I do not support corporate welfare. If the corporation cannot stand on their own, than they should not stand. Let the free market decide who is worthy.
In general, I agree with you.

However, there are some notable exceptions that must not be overlooked because the companies involved are crucial to our nation.

Specifically, companies, mostly defense-related companies, that have skilled work forces on the payroll, from engineers to assembly personnel, that build the weaponry and other materiel crucial to national secrity, that keep our nation free. It is Imperative, that they be supported and largely intact, even in "lean" years so that we don't jeopardize our nation strategically.

it took many decades, in some cases nearly a century, to get these companies where they are technically, and no matter what, they must survive for they are critical.

It is also important to note that most things people refer to as corporate welfare are not welfare at all. For example, oil depletion, which is nothing but depreciation of an asset (oil field).

Mostly, it is a term used by LWNJs as a shield to deflect criticism of individual welfare (which has helped build a nation of parasites).

Old 07-20-2018, 06:01 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
There are many, many arguments against corporate welfare. None of them are to be seen on Dr. Phil.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post

However, there are some notable exceptions that must not be overlooked because the companies involved are crucial to our nation.

Specifically, companies, mostly defense-related companies, that have skilled work forces on the payroll, from engineers to assembly personnel, that build the weaponry and other materiel crucial to national secrity, that keep our nation free. It is Imperative, that they be supported and largely intact, even in "lean" years so that we don't jeopardize our nation strategically.

it took many decades, in some cases nearly a century, to get these companies where they are technically, and no matter what, they must survive for they are critical.

It is also important to note that most things people refer to as corporate welfare are not welfare at all. For example, oil depletion, which is nothing but depreciation of an asset (oil field).

Mostly, it is a term used by LWNJs as a shield to deflect criticism of individual welfare (which has helped build a nation of parasites).

I would hope that the expenses incurred are paid for by the military budget. In such case, I don't think this would be considered corporate welfare. The military requires a strong and intact supply chain, should a real threat arise.

This is a better use for money than many forms of welfare we pay for today, because it actually creates jobs and keeps our nation free, and our people strong and safe. Welfare should be reserved for citizens who truly require assistance. There is no point in creating an artificial welfare class of any kind, because it would only become a burden during desperate times like war, economic turbulence, and other unpredictable future events.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:04 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Didn't watch, but no welfare for any co (or person) If its crucial, people will voluntarily pay for it

Old 07-20-2018, 06:08 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post

Let's be realistic, what military equipment's using technology that's even ten years old, never mind a hundred?

I disagree we must support these companies during peaceful times, witness how quickly we rampred up military production after Pearl Harbor. It's simply putting lipstick on the pig of corporate welfare, it's still a pig. Most if not all of these companies make more than enough profit to sustain themselves during lean times, let's not expect American taxpayers to do it.

The RW worship of corporations is truly mind-boggling.

Old 07-20-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Let's be realistic, what military equipment's using technology that's even ten years old, never mind a hundred?

I disagree we must support these companies during peaceful times, witness how quickly we rampred up military production after Pearl Harbor. It's simply putting lipstick on the pig of corporate welfare, it's still a pig. Most if not all of these companies make more than enough profit to sustain themselves during lean times, let's not expect American taxpayers to do it.

Are these businesses traditionally supported in ways besides revenue from engineering, manufacturing, etc? I figure the profit is what sustains them, because the rates paid for the work are likely to the moon. Just look at what a coffee cup on airforce one costs... https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/y...eight-in-gold/

Does everything the government wants have to cost 100X market rate? No wonder this country is in so much debt...

Old 07-20-2018, 06:12 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

The RW worship of corporations is truly mind-boggling.

Are you talking about all the money that Obama gave to Elon Musk for example?

Old 07-20-2018, 06:17 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,809,067 times
No corporate welfare and no subsidies. Make it or don't on your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies