Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 06:49 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
He had the "guts" to give amnesty to millions of Mexicans and to have his administration support death squads that murdered 1000's in Central America. Guts to go behind our backs and trade arms with a sworn enemy, Iran.....

Gut in that more members of his admin were indicted than any before or after (I think Trump will beat that)...

To think that people approve of this is pretty amazing. It just shows how bad "normal" has gotten.

He was an actor- Hollyweird and all. But present Trumpies wouldn't have liked him because he believed Russia was the evil empire...NK also. He didn't brag about those types of people being great and strong and nice.

Again, only with Trump being so horrible can people then relate and call a Hollyweird actor who made his government fame by being a snitch (turned in fellow actors for "anti-american" worldviews) a "great"....

I wonder if current republicans or conservatives would call a POTUS that gave millions Amnesty...someone with cajones?? I think not, but I could be wrong. So far the definition of "great" seems to be anything Trump does - no matter how much against reason or the Constitution.
Hmmmmm. You seem to have missed the history of the United Staes both before and after Reagan.
Batista
The Shah
South Vietnam
Saddam
Just to name a few.
The amnesty. Context in history matters, so do details. Reagan didn't initiate the amnesty. He only agreed to it when the democrats led by Ted Kennedy promised to increase funding for border security and enforcement. They reneged on their end of the deal. So yes about 3 million illegals got amnesty. Reagan never paraded illegals on stage like Obama did. Reagan never represented an illegal who was also a chemical engineer as the average illegal either. That was Obama.
You are right. In todays politics Reagan wouldn't have been elected by the GOP. He wasn't extreme enough.
JFK would have been protested and bashed by the left. That whole ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country bit? Yeah the left would have screamed that JFK was trying to steal government benefits. JFK wasn't soft on illegals either.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:25 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Reagan was a Republican and a gentleman. Trump is posing as a Republican and the most uncouth, disgusting lying treasonous traitor there could be. Can't compare them to each other! And, I was not a fan of Reagan.

Reagan was a democrat, before he got Red Pilled.

Reagan: #walkedaway.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:30 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Don't tell Donny, but Russia and Iran are military and economic allies.
For now. The genius of Trump, if he has any, is to drive a wedge between them. It's not hard. Russia has no need for Iran other than using them as a pawn against the US. It's already happening, Trump has agreed for Assad to stay. Israel is fine with him too. Who needs Iran anymore? Russians won't. On top of that, there is no love lost between Russia and Islam.

Old 07-21-2018, 12:47 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Rr 100%

Last edited by eureka1; 07-21-2018 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: forgot caps

Old 07-21-2018, 12:49 PM

1,991 posts, read 900,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Lol at the time Reagan was attacked by the left hardcore while President

Maybe in 30 years libs will have a soft spot for Trump too.
This is true for the most part, but the difference is that while you may not have agreed with Reagan, he was able to put forth his argument to the country as a whole. He tried to convince everybody and not just his base that his ideas where what's best for the country. I may not have agreed with Reagan all of the time, but I was never ashamed of him as President. I'm ashamed and embarrassed about Trump's presidency everyday.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:07 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I'm not a Conservative. However Ronald Reagan changed American politics. You had the Reagan Democrats who voted for Ron during his 2nd run. Reagan Democrats are more like Bill Clinton supporters. Where do Ronald Reagan and Trump supporters differ is on policies. Reagan is the grandfather of NAFTA. It was his idea, later that idea was championed by Bush Sr, and passed into law by Bill Clinton. That policy helped improve tariff free trade between three large countries, but on the flip side. Overtime the NAFTA policy helped hurt the American job market, but also hurt land rights in Mexico which caused many to migrate here legally and illegally. It was Ronald Reagan that allowed millions of illegal migrants to stay. It was also Ronald Reagan that was anti Union. Ronald Reagan was more of a globalists, he wanted walls torn down, helped with engagement of China.

Trump is completely opposite of Ronald Reagan.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
actually in many ways they both have balls. The difference is or was: Reagan had more knowledge about foreign and had a better mannerism. Trump just doesn't know how to say some things. The ability to put things into words, is not his strong card.

Old 07-21-2018, 03:38 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Horse pucky! You were obviously AWOL when Nixon was dealing with an angry press. How about Gerald Ford dealing with the fake news he was a stumbling putz? Jimmy Carter having no balls at all due to his handling of the Iran crisis.

Stop defending Trump's whining like a two dollar garage sale leaf blower over being treated so "bigly unfairly'. The fool hands people his dirty laundry then cries like a two year old when it gets hung in full view.

Reagan in the grip of early onset dementia was four times the president Trump could hope to be.
sorry I disagree with you on this. Of course others have had to deal with a negative press but anyone who pays any attention knows Trump has had to deal with 100% more than, even Nixon. A lot of it he brings on himself but the press still will not back off even a little.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:00 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
I disagreed with Reagan regularly but I respected him, when it comes to taking action he was very aggressive in his actions. The firing of the Air Traffic Controllers, Reaganomics, Russia Iran-Contra, Trump doesn't come close. He also had a great staff headed by James Baker.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:05 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
I didn't agree alot with what Reagan did, but who had more balls? Him or Trump?

Reagan was no friend of the common working people (so in that he and Trump would be similar) but at least we know he would never have abased himself before any foreign leader of any country at any time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies