Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2018, 06:39 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
It's not over yet. This still goes to the State's Attorney for a decision on prosecution. I won't be surprised if he does prosecute. If I was the shooter, I'd hit the road to destination unknown.
I'll bet he does also. After watching the video, the guy was backing away. A jury might convict this guy.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:45 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
So you think if attacked, you should turn and run?
They seem to see things that way.

It is okay to attack, harm and injure people, even if they are not really capable of fighting back the old fashioned way, so long as you are not "imminently threatening their life". People who aren't prone to taking personal responsibility for their actions seem to prefer it this way.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:47 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
https://www.tampabay.com/news/public...pace_170174041

McGlockton went up to Drejka and "slammed him to the ground," the sheriff said.

"Our job and our role is not to substitute our judgment for the law and what the Legislature has crafted as the framework," he said, "but to enforce it equally and fairly as we’re required to do."

An Armed society is a polite society. Want to be violent? Today is a good day to die, then.

I have no pity. None what so ever.

I agree I have no pity for someone needlessly taking a verbal argument to the point of a physical altercation. One less violent nut case roaming the street.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:48 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
It is silly to try to argue that California is right and Florida is wrong, or visa versa. What you have here is legislation and laws based to two opposing philosophies.
Agreed. And that's the way it should be imo.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:48 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We don't know his story. His wife or family member could be handicapped and he has a real thing for people who do this. I understand that.

Don't body slam someone to the concrete and you won't get shot. That's always been my rule.
You've never gotten mad and pushed someone?
Quote:
And LOL at the boyfriend/girlfriend story. She has 3 kids by this guy (I assume) and probably getting Govt assistance for not being married.
There's really nothing to LOL at here. The shooter is a crank who likes to confront strangers over trivial matters like parking spaces. These types are pretty common and wouldn't normally cause much harm beyond hurt feelings. But because of the law in Florida they can essentially murder people and get away with it.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I've seen a pistol pulled once in my 64 years -over a parking space.
Must be a coincidence.

Watched a VICE special last night on the Phillipines. 70% of them are armed...big Gun Country. A guy running for political office needed 150 cars to protect him when he went to register his papers to run again. Last time he ran 50 of his supporters and family were murdered in one group....women, children, etc.

Very Polite. Trump likes their way. They have a strong leader.

The Philippines has about the same gun violence murder rate as Mexico but Mexico has much stricter gun laws. Very difficult to legally obtain a gun in Mexico. Both have slightly lower rates than the USA.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:56 PM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's hard to 'root' for either party.

One couple think they are above the law and park in the handicap spot.

Another guy (known to be a trouble maker, constantly looking to get in people's faces and pick fights) decides to be a 'hero' and get in a ladies face.

I get it that the guy violently shoved the other guy, but at that point he paused and stood still, and did not continue to advance or to attack. It might be because he wanted to see what the fallen guy would do, but perhaps he also saw him reaching into his shorts for presumably a weapon.

At that point, the guy with the gun had absolutely ZERO reason to slowly raise the gun, point it at the victim, and gun him down in cold blood. WTF does 'standing your ground' have anything to do with this? If anything, he should simply have aimed the weapon and backed away and called the cops or something. But he didn't, he chose to be some Bruce Willis action hero. CLEARLY, guys like these should NEVER have a concealed weapons permit or carry a gun, because they are irresponsible gun owners who let emotion and their hot heads rule their actions.

If it were up to me that guy shooting would be charged with something, he is absolutely no saint, and this is absolutely nowhere near a case of self defense or standing your ground the way it was meant to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EwnQW3tUpc
First off, great post.

100% agree that we're dealing with 2 arseholes here.

There are some issues with the law as written, this and many other cases would concur.

This guy is right up to the very very edge of not having SYG save him. The fact that the other guy kept the same distance (very close) standing over him is likely the deciding factor.

My father has CC but in his state he had to take rigorous training etc. to get it. That is what I personally support. The idea that any gang-banger or crack pot can suddenly CC legally is effed up to me. Not even in the realm of protecting oneself but just being aware of whom is BEHIND your target etc.

I bought my first gun at a gun show at age 13ish with my lawn mowing money after saving up $110. (Ruger 10-22) I'm a solid pro-gun supporter on the issue, but the SYG laws need some *fixing*.

I know my dad wouldn't have drilled that guy but would have held him off. Killing someone is pretty serious business. Had he freaked out due to adrenalin etc. it would have killed him with guilt.

This guy, probably not.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
You've never gotten mad and pushed someone?

Not since middle school. What kind of world do you live in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
There's really nothing to LOL at here. The shooter is a crank who likes to confront strangers over trivial matters like parking spaces. These types are pretty common and wouldn't normally cause much harm beyond hurt feelings. But because of the law in Florida they can essentially murder people and get away with it.

Confronting someone is different than body slamming someone to the ground. No way the guy could anticipate that sort of response. Perhaps he felt a little more bold having the gun by his side. But when you physically assault someone you do run the risk of being on the wrong end of a gun. And I don't feel sorry for the guy.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:09 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
This is the world we live in where idiots go from zero to sixty in less than a minute.

Being chastised for needlessly parking in a handicapped parking space doesn't justify pushing someone down.

Being pushed down doesn't justify shooting someone.

Simple Kindergarten 101 type logic that no longer seems to apply.

Old 07-21-2018, 07:10 PM

78,333 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The Philippines has about the same gun violence murder rate as Mexico but Mexico has much stricter gun laws. Very difficult to legally obtain a gun in Mexico. Both have slightly lower rates than the USA.
Hard to get a LEGAL gun in mexico.

Just like in the US. 75% of gun violence here, about the difference between us and say Canada is gangs and drugs....and urban.

Yet the blame is constantly laid on the states or PARTS of states that have more "canada like" gun violence levels.

IMO this is one of the biggest political frauds for the last 50 years.

Major cities, rather than addressing poverty, racism, unequal opportunity....just blame guns. On top of that, they blame states like Montana or the rural parts of Illinois etc. for the socio-economic environments they've created on their own.

Heads up because Lincoln Park (Chicago) and Austin( Chicago) are both neighborhoods about 3 miles apart.
The former has 1 murder per 100k residents a year...the latter over 30. Same laws. Same Cops. Well GEE it must be Indianas fault due to their gun laws says the politicians!

I've made this argument before on this forum. Please, if you haven't sat down and thought about it before at least consider the points I've made. Thank you for your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies