Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 09:16 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
First of all, I have not read the "studies" you posted. Like polls (which I do not believe in general), many of these studies can be biased in an effort to achieve a desired result.
Thus I have to question the methodology of any poll purporting to know inherent fears of someones mind.

Regardless, I will note you didn't answer a single one of my questions. It is hard to discuss a subject when direct questions are ignored.

I'd also point out that I have (in other threads) posted FBI stats (from the Obama DOJ) showing that blacks commit much more violent acts against whites, than visa versa. You are free to look it up yourself, as some of us get weary of re-posting the same things over & o[ver again.

How about try to answer my questions posed to you.

`

You people kill me {pun intended....please don't shoot me because you have a CCW}.

Three centuries of of documented stereotypes and fears......then a current study says that America still has these fears to a degree.....and you want to question the methodology because you don't believe it

Its like knowing a person who has been a KNOWN liar for most of their lives. That person says something that you like or benefits you in some way, so you dismiss all the other people who say he is lying. Look, America has a long history of this type of fears.....and that history is UNBROKEN. Tell me when America did not have this fear? What era did it end and why?

Old 07-26-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
That's exactly what I've been saying. Why is it that when a black male gets killed by a civilian or the police, their always say "i feared for my my life"?

Thank You.

When the topic is "why are whites always calling the cops on blacks....treating them as if they are criminals", there answer is "Statistics show blacks commit violent crime nX more than whites. Right there they are saying that statistics warrant MORE FEAR OF BLACKS. Then when you say that whites are more likely to shoot blacks because of FEAR, they we are the ones being racist.

The thing is that long before crime statistics whites feared blacks because they knew the history of what whites have done to blacks and they felt that blacks had pent up anger against whites that could explode at the slightest provocation or opportunity. That is why Pharaoh wanted male Hebrew babies killed. He understood human nature and feared that given the opportunity the males would rise up and do against him what he did to them.

You add that with the fact that we are seen as athletically superior, meaning bigger, stronger and faster, they fear confrontations with us even more. That is why the gun means so much to them, as well as these SYG laws, to give the benefit of the doubt to them.

Old 07-26-2018, 09:42 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That's why I said "multiple opponents."

What the expert witness will tell you is that the video doesn't show enough detail to determine disorientation--certainly not enough to claim "steady as a rock."

And other expert witnesses will talk about the effects of being in the "red zone" when a person has been attacked (constriction of vision and constriction of the sense of time, for instance).

If you agree "not very likely," why are you debating it?
The state will have expert witnesses to testify there weren't signs of disorientation or confusion in his behavior after he was shoved, while he was pulling his weapon and firing, post-shooting. A jury would believe what they see. Police officers who interviewed shooter will testify as to their non-expert opinions about his behavior, coherence; we don't know what they'd say, but the DA does.

Your 'multiple opponents' theory is pure speculation. Articles have stated shooter told police he feared the shover; no mention of the guy who exited the store. If that's true, his lawyer will have a problem convincing a jury he Also feared anyone other than the shover. No 'multiple attackers.'

I'm debating it because you and others claim this is a cut and dry case of justifiable homicide. I don't. One poster said the prosecutor would be guilty of misconduct to charge the guy.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:25 AM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Thank You.

When the topic is "why are whites always calling the cops on blacks....treating them as if they are criminals", there answer is "Statistics show blacks commit violent crime nX more than whites. Right there they are saying that statistics warrant MORE FEAR OF BLACKS. Then when you say that whites are more likely to shoot blacks because of FEAR, they we are the ones being racist.

The thing is that long before crime statistics whites feared blacks because they knew the history of what whites have done to blacks and they felt that blacks had pent up anger against whites that could explode at the slightest provocation or opportunity. That is why Pharaoh wanted male Hebrew babies killed. He understood human nature and feared that given the opportunity the males would rise up and do against him what he did to them.

You add that with the fact that we are seen as athletically superior, meaning bigger, stronger and faster, they fear confrontations with us even more. That is why the gun means so much to them, as well as these SYG laws, to give the benefit of the doubt to them.
Technically, I think eastern Europeans are stronger than Africans, on average. The World's Strongest Man is always a white guy, not that it matters much. Strong, athletic people come in all shapes, sizes, and racial backgrounds. And being bigger is not always better. If it were, the 7-foot-tall MMA guy (Stevan Struve) would be the absolute king of MMA and all combat sports, but he's not -- he loses more than he wins. Other examples are available as well.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Technically, I think eastern Europeans are stronger than Africans, on average. The World's Strongest Man is always a white guy, not that it matters much. Strong, athletic people come in all shapes, sizes, and racial backgrounds. And being bigger is not always better. If it were, the 7-foot-tall MMA guy (Stevan Struve) would be the absolute king of MMA and all combat sports, but he's not -- he loses more than he wins. Other examples are available as well.

What does what YOU think matter in regards the general perceptions? If we talk about racism there is always some white guy who chimes in to tell us that HE is not racist, as if that ends the debate about the existence of racism....because HE is not racist.

If the headline reads "Americans elects Trump to Presidency". Nobody would take that as meaning that EVERY AMERICAN VOTED FOR TRUMP. Yet, when you make a statement about whites, whites take it as if it is a claim made for every white person on the earth, without exception. That is because, I believe, without using that straw man.....you would cannot deny it.

I made a general claim about perceptions. What YOU think in particular is irrelevant

Old 07-26-2018, 12:09 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a little bird View Post
Thank you for being the first to answer. I'm sure with a death, manslaughter would be the minimum charge (as opposed to simple battery). I agree that he didn't need to pull the trigger, but I also was not in his position on the ground after being shoved down.

I think my main thought that I'm getting at here...he could have easily died from that shove to the ground, so in his mind, it could have easily been "kill or be killed".
Your welcome.

Maybe IS can follow my lead.

In theory any physical act can accidentally lead to a permanent injury or death. For example kids goofing around tripping each other.
Sure if someone falls a certain way and potentially strikes their body on a hard surface (i.e. head on cement) they could be paralyzed or die.
However in the legal world, the jury/judge would have to decide whether it was reasonable to assume such an action would result in the harm that befell the victim.

In this case the assailant was clearly intending to cause some harm to the victim because of the force and method he used to shove him. However most people could not reasonably expect such an action would result in a fatality.
I by no means think it couldn't happen, but it is not statistically probable. While we have no way of knowing what was going through the assailants mind when he attacked the victim, it is highly unlikely he intended to cause permanent harm or death.

`

Old 07-26-2018, 12:12 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The state will have expert witnesses to testify there weren't signs of disorientation or confusion in his behavior after he was shoved, while he was pulling his weapon and firing, post-shooting. A jury would believe what they see. Police officers who interviewed shooter will testify as to their non-expert opinions about his behavior, coherence; we don't know what they'd say, but the DA does.

Your 'multiple opponents' theory is pure speculation. Articles have stated shooter told police he feared the shover; no mention of the guy who exited the store. If that's true, his lawyer will have a problem convincing a jury he Also feared anyone other than the shover. No 'multiple attackers.'

I'm debating it because you and others claim this is a cut and dry case of justifiable homicide. I don't. One poster said the prosecutor would be guilty of misconduct to charge the guy.
"Multiple attacker" would include the woman who exited the car just as the attacker approached.

It will not be possible for the state to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he could not have been disoriented.

It will not be possible for the state to prove that the woman was not exiting the car to get involved in the action, or to prove that the shooter didn't think she was. Between the larger size of the attacker and the fact that an accomplice was involved, "disparity of force" will be a given.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:13 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
That's exactly what I've been saying. Why is it that when a black male gets killed by a civilian or the police, their always say "i feared for my my life"?
As a dumb question, expect a dumb answer as the old saying goes.
I suspect most people pull out the "I was in fear for my life" defense because they do not want to go to jail. This applies across all races, so there is nothing racial to it.

`

Old 07-26-2018, 12:36 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
You people kill me {pun intended....please don't shoot me because you have a CCW
Oh, you are funny.....not.

Quote:
Thank You.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:50 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
As a dumb question, expect a dumb answer as the old saying goes.
I suspect most people pull out the "I was in fear for my life" defense because they do not want to go to jail. This applies across all races, so there is nothing racial to it.

`
Although under the Castle Doctrine, SYG, and a few other cases, that's not needed as a reason. The circumstances of the shooting automatically form the defense.

For instance, under the Castle Doctrine, if someone has forcefully entered the house, it's not necessary to state "I was in fear for my life."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies