Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2018, 06:19 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Negatory. Stand your ground is a simple concept. "Democrats" may want to reconsider their manners before engaging a likely armed citizen. The dead man's innate anger got him killed. That's a fact.

Gun rights are definitely moving in the right direction.
Exactly, as a Democrat I need to be cognizant that anybody coming up to me to unload on me verbally also has the right to unload his gun on me if I do anything but thank him for being kind enough to relay his well intentioned opinions. Anything else, and I'm a dead man! That is because the Constitution give rights to armed citizens that unarmed citizens don't and will never have. If I'm unarmed I am always wrong!

Old 07-26-2018, 06:24 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Although under the Castle Doctrine, SYG, and a few other cases, that's not needed as a reason. The circumstances of the shooting automatically form the defense.

For instance, under the Castle Doctrine, if someone has forcefully entered the house, it's not necessary to state "I was in fear for my life."
I think this is true. If I remember the wording correctly, when someone uses force against you (like the attacker did here), you have the right to SYG and “meet force with force.” There is nothing about fearing for your life as a requirement.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:31 PM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
Exactly, as a Democrat I need to be cognizant that anybody coming up to me to unload on me verbally also has the right to unload his gun on me if I do anything but thank him for being kind enough to relay his well intentioned opinions. Anything else, and I'm a dead man! That is because the Constitution give rights to armed citizens that unarmed citizens don't and will never have. If I'm unarmed I am always wrong!
If you can present a situation in which SYG has been a successful defense when the person shot had not initiated a physically violent action, I would be glad to see it.

Otherwise, you're just bloviating.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:44 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
If you can present a situation in which SYG has been a successful defense when the person shot had not initiated a physically violent action, I would be glad to see it.

Otherwise, you're just bloviating.
What I am saying is that someone being chased or cornered can initiate violence in order to try to escape. As a matter of fact, I done that several time during my lifetime (and got away.) Under pre-SYG rules, this was considered self defense, now your assailant can kill you and use SYG.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:02 PM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwduvall View Post
What I am saying is that someone being chased or cornered can initiate violence in order to try to escape. As a matter of fact, I done that several time during my lifetime (and got away.) Under pre-SYG rules, this was considered self defense, now your assailant can kill you and use SYG.
That worked for Zimmerman. That didn't work for Oulsen. SYG isn't actually a free pass anyway--the state prosecutor can still press charges.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:11 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I think this is true. If I remember the wording correctly, when someone uses force against you (like the attacker did here), you have the right to SYG and “meet force with force.” There is nothing about fearing for your life as a requirement.
We keep repeating ourselves.

The law has two parts. You can use force - of the same general type...in the first instance.

Only if you are in valid fear of death or great bodily harm GOING FORWARD can you use deadly force.

Example.....IF (and obviously I don't know) Zimmermanns head was being bashed up and down against a sidewalk, he could use deadly force.

But if he was pushed, fell down and the perp didn't jump upon him and continue (or wasn't in the process of doing)....then he is not allowed to use deadly force...

In other words, you can't think "hey, I'm not hurt but that shove could have hurt me" and then shoot someone. This, I think, will be the issue if this shooting goes to court.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:42 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
That's exactly what I've been saying. Why is it that when a black male gets killed by a civilian or the police, their always say "i feared for my my life"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Thank You.

When the topic is "why are whites always calling the cops on blacks....treating them as if they are criminals", there answer is "Statistics show blacks commit violent crime nX more than whites. Right there they are saying that statistics warrant MORE FEAR OF BLACKS. Then when you say that whites are more likely to shoot blacks because of FEAR, they we are the ones being racist.

The thing is that long before crime statistics whites feared blacks because they knew the history of what whites have done to blacks and they felt that blacks had pent up anger against whites that could explode at the slightest provocation or opportunity. That is why Pharaoh wanted male Hebrew babies killed. He understood human nature and feared that given the opportunity the males would rise up and do against him what he did to them.

You add that with the fact that we are seen as athletically superior, meaning bigger, stronger and faster, they fear confrontations with us even more. That is why the gun means so much to them, as well as these SYG laws, to give the benefit of the doubt to them.

Call it what it is.....
Statistically,
53% of ALL Murders in the USA
69% of ALL violent crime in the USA(as witnessed here)
72% of ALL theft/robbery/burglary in the USA
13% of ALL USA population

Profiling, puts it lightly!!!
Statistically, their is good reason to have fear.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Technically, I think eastern Europeans are stronger than Africans, on average. The World's Strongest Man is always a white guy, not that it matters much. Strong, athletic people come in all shapes, sizes, and racial backgrounds. And being bigger is not always better. If it were, the 7-foot-tall MMA guy (Stevan Struve) would be the absolute king of MMA and all combat sports, but he's not -- he loses more than he wins. Other examples are available as well.

The only time I have ever fought anyone my size, was when I fought in a weight class, in sanctioned competition wrestling boxing and later PKA.
I have never been in a fight with someone smaller than I.
As an AF brat, I started 1st grade @ 5 in Germany, like they do in Germany.
So, when I got here, they let me go on and would hold me back a grade, if I could not keep up.
Well, I was always 1-1/2 years younger than everyone in my class. All the way through school.
Guess who found out quick, don't mess with the little guy?
Never underestimate your opponent!

Old 07-26-2018, 10:20 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
I had another good day today, I managed not to park in any illegal parking spots or immediately assault anyone calling me out for it. Now, instead of a criminal record or a bullet in the chest, I got to go home.

Life is so much better when people follow the law and not think they're above the law.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:54 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
One violent man met another violent man. One violent man had a gun, one did not. Live by the sword die by the sword. I feel sorry for none of them. Very similar to a road rage incident, race really has nothing to do with this. This is what our society has become. The stand your ground laws are not the problem, citizens who are trash are the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies