Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 08:30 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,573,952 times

Advertisements

Bear in mind the OP says that it's appropriate for a 2 year old to have an AR-15 (see Post 74 at the link below) if that gives any indication to the mentality and agenda of the OP when starting this thread about so-called "stand your ground" laws. :

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...own-gun-8.html

Old 07-31-2018, 08:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,528,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Even if he got his azz kicked he would have been better off than what he’s going to get. The man might as well be eligible for the witness protection program if he doesn’t go to jail. Who’s going to hire him? He’s for sure going to have to move. His whole life will be uprooted.

And his family probably is suffering too. The article mentioned a wife. Perhaps he also has children.

And I’ll never forget the video of his little boy in the store when McGlockton ran in after he was shot. There’s another person who will have to live with this decision. A beating would have been infinitely better, though I don’t think an ex-con who has been clean all those years would be so hot to go back to prison, so I don’t think he would have done much more than shout at him and leave once he put him on the ground.
I'm not sure about that. This is different than the Zimmerman case because there's video and it was clear that he was responding to a physical assault.

You're great at putting yourself in the shoes of both the guy who died as well as his son, but you should try putting yourself in the shoes of someone who was assaulted. Both Ralph_Kirk and I have been attacked. I was beaten up once and a second time I was told I was going to be killed for something I didn't do - the guy had a knife on me - and it was a case of mistaken identity. I'm telling you that I physically responded with NO forethought at all. None. And I'm convinced I'd be dead if I hadn't.

Ralph had a worse experience than mine given his injuries. He posted about it earlier in the thread.

Unless you've gone through something like this, you have no idea how lightening quick it all happens. The fear is overwhelming, the adrenal is pumping and you are unable to think straight.

Old 07-31-2018, 08:58 PM

21,407 posts, read 10,493,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm not sure about that. This is different than the Zimmerman case because there's video and it was clear that he was responding to a physical assault.

You're great at putting yourself in the shoes of both the guy who died as well as his son, but you should try putting yourself in the shoes of someone who was assaulted. Both Ralph_Kirk and I have been attacked. I was beaten up once and a second time I was told I was going to be killed for something I didn't do - the guy had a knife on me - and it was a case of mistaken identity. I'm telling you that I physically responded with NO forethought at all. None. And I'm convinced I'd be dead if I hadn't.

Ralph had a worse experience than mine given his injuries. He posted about it earlier in the thread.

Unless you've gone through something like this, you have no idea how lightening quick it all happens. The fear is overwhelming, the adrenal is pumping and you are unable to think straight.
That’s horrible what happened to both of you, and nice to see you both seem to be fine now and living a decent life despite it. I doubt you have people harassing you every day, and no one wanting to hire you. I actually think Zimmerman had it better because it wasn’t on video. It was his word against a dead person, and the blood on the back of his head backed him up a little bit. This video does not back up Drejka in my opinion. It’s going to haunt him forever.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:13 PM

8,858 posts, read 5,340,160 times
Who appointed Michael Drejka handicapped spot monitor for the Circle A Food Store in Clearwater, Florida? Sounds like a self-appointed busybody. Hope it's worth it for him if he's sued in civil court.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:19 PM

18,792 posts, read 8,409,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Bear in mind the OP says that it's appropriate for a 2 year old to have an AR-15 (see Post 74 at the link below) if that gives any indication to the mentality and agenda of the OP when starting this thread about so-called "stand your ground" laws. :

"First grenaders."

https://www.google.com/search?ei=XyZ....0.go-Fw-qW-OY

Old 07-31-2018, 09:21 PM

501 posts, read 301,708 times
Quote:
That’s what I keep wondering. People keep saying how a shove can result in death, but he managed to survive his fall. He took one second from lifting his head up to pulling the trigger.
Just because shoving someone so that he falls to the ground can kill doesn't mean it always does. Shooting someone doesn't always kill either.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:25 PM

16,366 posts, read 8,461,601 times
Quote:
We disagree on a lot. I have great empathy for handicapped people. I worked for one for nearly two decades. Even he would think this was a horrible incident and should never have happened. But he has great patience waiting for spots to open up, and further would have empathy for the man who lost his life and the child who witnessed it.

I don’t understand why people can’t see how wrong this guy was to appoint himself the guardian of that parking space. He could have told the woman she was wrong to be parked there and moved on, like most people would have done. Instead he stood there and argued with her, and it was obviously pretty heated judging by the looks going his way by the other patrons. He was being enough of a jerk that someone went into the store to tell her boyfriend about it. McGlockton made the wrong choice to shove the guy on the ground, but he did not use deadly force. He was not the thug here. Drejka could have waited two more seconds and would have seen the guy was backing off. He was too quick to use his gun. I have no respect or sympathy for him, and do not think he was the victim. We will have to agree to disagree on that one.

As for the comparison of the woman with the shopping cart, I didn’t make it. I responded to the comparison by saying there was no comparison at all.
Wow, you are like a blind person trying to instruct sighted people about what they are looking at.
I give you an entire (not comprehensive) list of where you missed the boat, but you practically dismiss it with your reply.

As to whether you want to call the shooter the victim or not, you must be basing that on your own warped perspective and bias.
He committed no crime by berating the parking violator, whether you think so or not. Being a parking lot monitor as you (who try to degrade him as) have put it, is not a crime.
Do you acknowledge this or not?

So he is complaining about a violation of the law to the perpetrator of said crime. Again not a criminal act.
Then comes along the guy who physically attacks him, thus becoming the assailant/criminal, and the person he attacked now is classified as the victim.
Are you with me so far?
If you cannot see this, let me be condescending and spoon feed it to you since you have had this fly over your head enumerable times, either from bias or being intentionally obtuse.
Lets say he got pushed to the ground and never pulled a gun. Would you still not call him the victim of a crime, or not?
Regardless, the person on the receiving end of a crime is called the victim, and the perpetrator of the physical attack is called the assailant.
These are cold hard facts whether you like it or not.

Lastly, just because you knew one handicapped person who might have had the patience of Job, does not mean other handicapped people do, or should be expected to. After all, that is why we have those spaces, to ease the burden and day to day challenges they face.
You can read my posting (because it is a long story and I don't have the desire to retype it out again) about a guy I know how is bound to a wheelchair, every frigging day of his life.
He needs the extra space to be able to open his old Impalas passenger door open, then manhandle his wheelchair out the door. Then he must slide along the bench seat and into his chair. He cannot do this in a regular parking space unless other spaces are open next to it. He also needs a ramp to get up and onto the elevated walkway.
If another vehicle is parked in that only space and too close to the ramp, he is stuck, even if he parked in a regular space further away.
Anyway, one day at the park he was there, but I didn't see his car parked in the spot. You want to know why?
Then look up my posting history with key words like wheelchair and tennis to discover how this man has an incredible attitude, and empathy for others to hear the rest of the story.
Rest assured he has empathy that is severally lacking in you by comparison!

Quote:
Well, I’m conservative so there goes that. I’m also not a fan of people killing someone over nothing. If he can’t take a fight, he shouldn’t start one. All these guys with their guns starting fights and ending up killing people, over parking spaces, loud music, being loud in a theater. Imagine if that were your kid. This sh*t has got to stop. This is not the Wild West.
Ok, well lets say it is a small woman berating an inconsiderate jerk for abusing a handicapped space, does that make a difference?
Should she be expected to engage in a physical fight for speaking her mind/opinion and doing the right thing?

AGAIN, as an FYI, the guy didn't start a fight, rather the assailant did.
Yet you continue to show your ignorance of the facts, despite the video evidence of exactly what happened.

`

Old 07-31-2018, 09:28 PM

33,014 posts, read 12,284,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post

The OP's last post in this thread was 422 posts before your post above (a bit under 1/4 the length of the whole thread).

Old 07-31-2018, 09:48 PM

21,407 posts, read 10,493,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
Just because shoving someone so that he falls to the ground can kill doesn't mean it always does. Shooting someone doesn't always kill either.
Yeah, but the question is whether a shove to the ground warrants instant death to the attacker. I may have been on his side if he had waited long enough to assess whether it would warrant that. He didn’t.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:55 PM

501 posts, read 301,708 times
Quote:
Yeah, but the question is whether a shove to the ground warrants instant death to the attacker.
Being violently assaulted, without any warning, warrants self-defense. That's the assessment that is needed.

As I said, if someone shoots at you, they don't always kill. Sometimes they miss, right? So - if someone shoots at you and misses, and you shoot him, is that self-defense? Or maybe you should wait until they shoot again, you know, to "assess" if your reply is warranted. Maybe they just meant to shoot only once... And even if they shot at you twice, maybe they're done or are out of bullets, so your shooting them is unwarranted.

Last edited by Terr; 07-31-2018 at 10:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies