Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 05:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

I guess they learned form the Zimmermann case and charged this guy with manslaughter as opposed to murder. Manslaughter is far easier to prove than murder.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:07 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
btw the Sheriff said he supports the decision to arrest & charge Drejka.

If you click on the abc link there's a pic of Drejka ... dressed in orange.
Has the press gotten around to showing McGlockton as a younger teenager yet?

Even Fox News, when reporting this incident, referred to the GZ/TM incident and showed a picture of the much younger TM than he was. Stupid press!

Old 08-14-2018, 06:16 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I wouldn't be so sure about him being acquitted. I'm pro-gun, an NRA member, and generally support "stand your ground" laws, but this guy is the poster child for stand-your-ground gone bad. He literally spends his spare time stalking handicapped spots, while armed, hoping for a confrontation. He's a danger to society and needs to be off the streets. I have no use for people who park in handicapped spots illegally, but a disapproving look should suffice. Relentlessly berating people while armed is the height of irresponsibility. I personally would have zero problem convicting him of premeditated murder. He was actively looking to shoot someone.
I really appreciate your unbiased post. Thank you!

Old 08-14-2018, 08:36 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
What a joke. He provoked nothing. He asked a lady to stop breaking the law and the “victim” ran into over and violently assaulted him. If this is really what the DA is going on then it woke even get passed a grand jury.
No his responsibility ,he should have called a cop.The man came out and saw a many "yelling loudly" at his girlfriend and child and pushed the man away and then(you forget this) he backed away.............he was shot twice . Manslaughter for sure considering the man's history.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:24 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
The SYG supporters are back pedaling worse than McGlockton with a gun pointed at him.

Weeks ago when this was initially discussed here, many SYG people made the key issue that SYG simply has to do with any time you feel endangered - regardless of who starts the confrontation (Drejka). They even turned a blind eye to the obvious evidence that McGlockton was backing up when he was shot. The threat of bodily harm to the shooter was over before Drejka pulled the trigger.

But now that he is being charged, they change their tune to "well, the ACTUAL confrontation is between McGlockton and Drejka, therefore McGlockton started the confrontation." Got to love it. Really. You know what Drejka could have done? He had MANY times when he could have taken a path that did not involve killing a man:

- He could have ignored the situation entirely and gone into the store and bought a soda
- He could have simply brandished the gun and said "If you come at me again, I'll shoot you."
- He could have shot a warning shot away from the man to scare him
- He could have shot the man not in the chest

It is a very slippery slope from someone shoving you down and that allowing you to shoot a retreating aggressor to someone tripping you by accident and then being shot. "I was tripped. I thought I was being attacked. So I shot the guy."

For the record, I'm not saying that the couple that parked in the handicapped spot should have parked there. Certainly not. And I do support Drejka approaching the driver. I don't know specifically what was said. It really shouldn't take long to say "Hey lady, you can't park there unless you are legitimately disabled" - then go about your business. McGlockton shouldn't have shoved Drejka. However, put yourself in McGlockton's shoes - he sees somebody yelling at his wife/girlfriend. Maybe he has a gun (he did). Maybe he saw the gun(!) and decided to protect his wife the only way he knew how. In Drejka's shoes, you are pushed to the ground by a big dude (he looked big in the video). You are afraid. You pull your gun. The man backs up...

And you shoot anyway? Come on now. There's that awful cliche: With great power comes great responsibility. Drejka was irresponsible and is responsible for taking that man's life unlawfully.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:28 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,246 times
Drejka threatened people 3 different times before shooting incident.

(CNN)The man charged with manslaughter after shooting another man in a Clearwater, Florida, convenience store parking lot has a history of threatening drivers, according to documents from the Pinellas County Circuit Court.

...............Court documents show that the July incident wasn't the first time Drejka aggressively confronted drivers over parking spots or what he perceived to be traffic infractions. In one incident, he caused a traffic accident by "brake checking" a car behind him, according to reports.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/14/us/fl...nts/index.html

Last edited by applej3; 08-14-2018 at 09:39 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 09:43 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
this incident brought back plastic cowboy hat lady to spew nonsense.

Democratic Lawmaker Says ‘Stand Your Ground’ Laws Let White People Get Away With Murder | The Daily Caller

Old 08-14-2018, 10:35 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
No his responsibility ,he should have called a cop.The man came out and saw a many "yelling loudly" at his girlfriend and child and pushed the man away and then(you forget this) he backed away.............he was shot twice . Manslaughter for sure considering the man's history.
That would have went over real well. I can see the CNN headline now: "Racist, white, nazi calls police on poor woman who accidentally rested her car in handicapped zone."

It would have played 24/7 "breaking" news for a month, only to be interrupted by the occasional update on the Russian collusion story.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:49 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,346,246 times
We
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
That would have went over real well. I can see the CNN headline now: "Racist, white, nazi calls police on poor woman who accidentally rested her car in handicapped zone."

It would have played 24/7 "breaking" news for a month, only to be interrupted by the occasional update on the Russian collusion story.
Would have "went over" real well? hmmm
So now in addition to a stellar vocabulary you also have a crystal ball??

STILL waiting for that audio tape, btw.

Last edited by applej3; 08-14-2018 at 11:49 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 11:11 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,768,093 times
A manslaughter charge looks pretty appropriate to me.

I have no problem with concealed carry or open carry. No particular problem with SYG laws. But that's not a license to shoot a retreating man because he hurt your pride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies