Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2018, 11:17 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
The SYG supporters are back pedaling worse than McGlockton with a gun pointed at him.

Weeks ago when this was initially discussed here, many SYG people made the key issue that SYG simply has to do with any time you feel endangered - regardless of who starts the confrontation (Drejka). They even turned a blind eye to the obvious evidence that McGlockton was backing up when he was shot. The threat of bodily harm to the shooter was over before Drejka pulled the trigger.

But now that he is being charged, they change their tune to "well, the ACTUAL confrontation is between McGlockton and Drejka, therefore McGlockton started the confrontation." Got to love it. Really. You know what Drejka could have done? He had MANY times when he could have taken a path that did not involve killing a man:

- He could have ignored the situation entirely and gone into the store and bought a soda
- He could have simply brandished the gun and said "If you come at me again, I'll shoot you."
- He could have shot a warning shot away from the man to scare him
- He could have shot the man not in the chest

It is a very slippery slope from someone shoving you down and that allowing you to shoot a retreating aggressor to someone tripping you by accident and then being shot. "I was tripped. I thought I was being attacked. So I shot the guy."

For the record, I'm not saying that the couple that parked in the handicapped spot should have parked there. Certainly not. And I do support Drejka approaching the driver. I don't know specifically what was said. It really shouldn't take long to say "Hey lady, you can't park there unless you are legitimately disabled" - then go about your business. McGlockton shouldn't have shoved Drejka. However, put yourself in McGlockton's shoes - he sees somebody yelling at his wife/girlfriend. Maybe he has a gun (he did). Maybe he saw the gun(!) and decided to protect his wife the only way he knew how. In Drejka's shoes, you are pushed to the ground by a big dude (he looked big in the video). You are afraid. You pull your gun. The man backs up...

And you shoot anyway? Come on now. There's that awful cliche: With great power comes great responsibility. Drejka was irresponsible and is responsible for taking that man's life unlawfully.
People would be right when they say that the shover started the confrontation. Had he survived, he could have been charged with assault, and the verbal exchange would have no relevance.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:12 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
People would be right when they say that the shover started the confrontation. Had he survived, he could have been charged with assault, and the verbal exchange would have no relevance.
Well, it started the PHYSICAL confrontation. The dude casing the car and screaming at the GF "started" the confrontation.

As I'm sure most know, words often lead to more than words.....we cannot deny that fact.

That doesn't mean it is an excuse....just the sequence of events. You can't start the clock at the shove. The clock for this episode starts earlier...and for the perps actions starts weeks and months beforehand with violent threats, etc.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:12 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
But now that he is being charged, they change their tune to "well, the ACTUAL confrontation is between McGlockton and Drejka, therefore McGlockton started the confrontation." Got to love it. Really.
I started to say you need to reread the thread, but that would mean you've read it already and I'm not sure you have. If you had, you would have seen that many, many people already made both the points you made above starting pretty much when this incident made the news.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:28 PM

501 posts, read 303,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Well, it started the PHYSICAL confrontation. The dude casing the car and screaming at the GF "started" the confrontation.

As I'm sure most know, words often lead to more than words.....we cannot deny that fact.

That doesn't mean it is an excuse....just the sequence of events. You can't start the clock at the shove. The clock for this episode starts earlier...and for the perps actions starts weeks and months beforehand with violent threats, etc.
The episode starts at the time a crime has been committed. "Words" are not a crime. The violent assault by the guy that was shot was a crime.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:25 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,294 times
Bail remains at $100,000.
Drejka says he can't afford an attorney.
Judge sets conditions.

Bail, conditions set for man charged in fatal shooting

Old 08-14-2018, 03:25 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
What you've got here is two stupid laws, a misfit troublemaker hell-bent on shooting someone, and another man who overreacts to verbal confrontation. His position, however, is the easiest to understand given the way his girlfriend was being harassed.

That was cold-blooded murder and Drejka should go away for life. If Florida law doesn't allow for that, then changes to it are urgently needed. But, if I'm on the jury, I'm convicting him regardless of the stupid law.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:39 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
What you've got here is two stupid laws, a misfit troublemaker hell-bent on shooting someone, and another man who overreacts to verbal confrontation. His position, however, is the easiest to understand given the way his girlfriend was being harassed.

That was cold-blooded murder and Drejka should go away for life. If Florida law doesn't allow for that, then changes to it are urgently needed. But, if I'm on the jury, I'm convicting him regardless of the stupid law.
There you go, don't pay a bit of attention to the law. You know better than the entire representative body that made the law. Always good to see a clear thinker in the crowd.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:11 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Drejka threatened people 3 different times before shooting incident.

(CNN)The man charged with manslaughter after shooting another man in a Clearwater, Florida, convenience store parking lot has a history of threatening drivers, according to documents from the Pinellas County Circuit Court.

...............Court documents show that the July incident wasn't the first time Drejka aggressively confronted drivers over parking spots or what he perceived to be traffic infractions. In one incident, he caused a traffic accident by "brake checking" a car behind him, according to reports.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/14/us/fl...nts/index.html
Thank you for posting that article. I knew my first instincts about this guy were right. He's an aggressive a-hole who was looking for an opportunity to use his gun. The only incident listed in here where he didn't pull a gun or threaten to shoot someone was the one where he deliberately caused a woman with two young children to wreck into his car.

He pulled a gun on a woman with children in her car in a school zone! He pulled a gun on teenagers for stopping at a yellow light! The guy was a powder keg waiting to go off.

Why was someone that unstable allowed to concealed carry? There should be some sort of database for allegations like this against concealed carry license holders could be kept. It's one thing to feel in danger and pull a weapon that wasn't used, but each of these incidents were the concealed carry holder being aggressive against others. There should be some mechanism to keep track of that unwarranted aggressiveness, especially in a state with Stand Your Ground laws. In each of these instances, there was a police report (or witness in the case of the truck driver and his manager).

Last edited by katygirl68; 08-14-2018 at 04:20 PM..

Old 08-14-2018, 04:19 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post

I was wondering about this supposed "overreaction." What if when the guy in the blue shirt went into the store and told McGlockton the man was yelling at his girlfriend, the store clerk said that guy threatened to kill one of my customers a couple of weeks ago over that same parking spot? It's established that the store clerk knew of that incident. Even if he didn't mention it, we don't really know what blue shirt said to McGlockton. I don't know that I'd call it an overreaction.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:24 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
The episode starts at the time a crime has been committed. "Words" are not a crime. The violent assault by the guy that was shot was a crime.
Hey, someone went to Kindergarten and understands "sticks & stones".

A rarity for the board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies