Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 08:50 AM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I agree to an extent, but you have to analyze the entire incident.

- Victim comes out of store and sees a man aggressively arguing with his wife face to face.

- Victim has no idea what’s going and shoves the aggressive man in what I assume was an attempt to protect and create separation between shooter and the female.

- Shooter pulls his weapon and aims towards the attacker

- Inital attacker sees weapon and begins to retreat no longer posing a threat to the shooter.

- Shooter pulls trigger and kills man.

This is not a clear cut case of SYG and I predict the shooter will be charged soon.
Girlfriend, not wife.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:51 AM

24,597 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Call me crazy, but any man who spends as much time casing out joints for people who illegally park in handicap spots to harass them about it as this man does, does not seem mentally stable enough to be carrying a gun.
Call me crazy, but any couple who parks illegally in handicap spots shouldn’t be surprised when someone calls them out on it nor should they immediately resort to violence in front of their 3 kids.

You must hate handicapped people.

Because I have seen handicap people go off on rants if they go to the restroom and someone is taking their stall.

They have it hard enough in life, they don’t needs idiots taking their spot.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:52 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,088,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Then that could means never speak to anyone, never look them in the eye..... I mean, any situation could potentially escalate into the use of deadly force. I was once staring off into space at a fast food place. Except I just happened to be looking toward a couple. I didn't realize it until the guy walked over and asked what I was looking at. I apologized and he walked off. "Potentially" he could have had a gun.
Then you absolutely did the right thing. Especially if you had been carrying. Better to back down and take a little crap than to get into a verbal altercation that could easily escalate into a fist fight and then the use of deadly force if someone was carrying.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Legal expert gives his take on this case.

https://youtu.be/W1o6NbK5jg8
That's a much better view of the tape than the link from the beginning of the thread.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:56 AM

2,362 posts, read 776,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sure. It is cowardly even if the law is on your side.
No it's not cowardly. What is cowardly is pushing a man twice your age and half your size from the side when he cannot even see you. That guy's death is honestly his own doing. No one has to suffer fools.

Also, pulling out a gun and firing cannot be cowardly by definition. It escalates a situation to possibly deadly consequences for both the person doing the shooting and the person they're shooting at. Plus, possible legal consequences which I hope he avoids but the lynch mob keeps demanding a pound of his flesh.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:59 AM

2,362 posts, read 776,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
About to pummel?
Uh, is that how you intrepret backing up?
If you watch the video you will see he only backs up when the guy draws his gun. My guess is if that guy had no gun, he'd be pummeled while on the ground. The attacker realized he was outgunned (pun intended) and then became a coward. Easy for him to be brave when the man is twice his age and half size - not to mention he even surprises the guy.

So he's dead, are you really upset about it? There are more important hills to die on than championing that thug.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:00 AM

24,597 posts, read 9,437,319 times
The girlfriend of the deceased also lied about the “parking lot being full”

Shocker.
Quote:
The nursing assistant told the newspaper she parked in the handicap spot because the parking lot was packed. Surveillance video, however, showed several open parking spaces in front of the store prior to the deadly shooting.
https://nypost.com/2018/07/20/stand-...space-sheriff/

Old 07-23-2018, 09:06 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
As far as I am concerned, if it was the girlfriend/wife that parked the car illegally, then she should face a felony murder charge as well. Felony murder is applied when someone dies as a result of your illegal act. If the shooting was a good one, then Felony Murder should be looked at.

All in all, I think most, if not all, people reading about this story will avoid using a handicap spot when they are not supposed to, and that is the good outcome from this. Maybe the only thing that is good.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And what would you do if someone was yelling and screaming in your SO's face? Would you get in front of the guy and if he got in your face, shove him away?
The guy who later pulled the gun was standing, his feet not moving, when the girlfriend opened the door and got out of the car, moving toward him.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:08 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
The problem I see here is that this guy felt he was in the right about the parking space. And he backed that up... with a gun. It really is that simple. He had a bruised ego (and a bruised ass). So he got revenge the only way he knew how.

Stand your ground is completely bogus. If someone is acting like an idiot and is called out someone could claim "that man was yelling at me. I was scared, so I shot him." It is so open-ended.

Few years back, I was in traffic waiting at a light and the guy behind me rear-ended me. The speed wasn't much, but these cars are made of paper today. I got out of the car (traffic was still stopped). Thankfully the damage to my car was just the paint. I don't think the bumper buckled. The guy that hit me was still there just facing straight ahead ignoring me. I waved at him. Nothing. I wanted him to at least acknowledge that he hit my car. I tapped on the driver side window (not banged, tapped). "Hey, you know you hit my car, right?" He opened up his suit jacket and displayed his gun to me and pointed back at my car. I obliged. Not worth it. I considered walking around to get his plate, but traffic started moving and he sped off - I got 3 digits and the make - not worth anything apparently.

All things considered, I should be glad that I didn't "make him feel unsafe" by my approaching him. He could have shot me then and there and claim he had just cause.

Now, what if the damage was severe? I shouldn't let him just get away. But what options do I have? This guy used the gun as his "trump card." Don't mess with me sonny or I'll shoot you. It is not right. And what if I had a gun myself? Do I go shoot him? What would that solve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies