Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 12:00 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
No it isn't. You just don't like that I asked you that question. You obviously don't know. I think it is offensive that you would make that statement, when you don't know. Yeah I know you don't care what I think, but someone else might, whether you think so or not.
You don’t know either, what’s your point? Did the guy hit his head? No. Watch the video.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:10 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
That guy didn’t just point his gun at the man, he immediately SHOT him! If he just wanted to defend himself, I’m sure just pulling the gun out would have ended the confrontation. There was no need to kill him! Don’t make excuses for this guy!
Another poster on this thread mentioned that brandishing, without being followed with a shot, isn't allowed in Florida.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:12 PM

733 posts, read 760,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
You don't deserve to die but then if the person you shoved shoots you, he doesn't deserve to go to prison either. See how that works?
No, I don't see how that works. If someone physically attacks you, assault charges should be applicable. If someone shoots you, murder charges should be applicable. You imply all levels of escalation are equal. I believe there are different levels. Getting yelled at does not justify a punch/shove. Getting shoved does not justify murder.
Quote:
That's precisely what SYG is about. Allowing people to use deadly force if they have reasonable fear of immediate bodily harm. We can spend time quibbling on what reasonable fear means. Basically, it depends on what stage you're at. When it comes to being arrested, the police. Prosecuted? The DA and then any judge. If it actually see's a trial then the jury will decide if it was reasonable.
Well, apparently you are correct here. It's a joke to me, that one can legitimately claim feeling threatened when there is little to no apparent real physical threat of danger. That zero attempt at any additional step before shooting someone is required.

Watching the video, once the gun was pulled, the shover was literally backing away. I find it hard to believe the man with the gun felt imminent harm was coming at that point.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:14 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Another poster on this thread mentioned that brandishing, without being followed with a shot, isn't allowed in Florida.
is that true? doesn't seem right.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:22 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
Watching the video, once the gun was pulled, the shover was literally backing away. I find it hard to believe the man with the gun felt imminent harm was coming at that point.
All of this happened inside a 2 second window. We cannot know what the shooter was thinking. But inside a 2 second window, with adrenaline pumping, many people would have done the same. Like I said, when panic takes hold, people perceive things differently. Time slows down or speeds up, people develop tunnel vision, have out of body experiences.

None of this is the shooter's fault btw. He didn't ask to be shoved - hell, he was blindsided. Because of that, we don't (in a civilized society) don't send him to prison. Now if the shooter was robbing a bank and thought someone was armed, panicked and killed him then yes we'd charge, because this time the shooter's actions directly were responsible.

You might not like the guy died? Doesn't mean we send someone to prison. You should think of it as someone doing something stupid like walking into traffic without looking. Yeah, tragic he died but not the fault of the person who ran him over.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:27 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I have to say - I just watched the video again and noticed something I didn't catch before. Not only did the guy walk straight up and knock him down without hesitation, but a second guy left the store and was walking quickly toward him, too. The man in the blue shirt who was taking in the conversation before entering the store must have said something to him and then followed him out.

You have two guys approaching you and you're on the ground? Not a safe feeling, I'm guessing.
You’re on the ground, have a gun, and those guys walk away. There was no need to immediately shoot the guy. Stand Your Ground means stand your ground, not immediately shoot when the guys are five feet away and unarmed.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:28 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,698 times
[quote=Mr. Ryu;52579732]The girlfriend was in the safety of her car. She could have rolled up her window and not engage the guy. She also could have moved.

Also, why did she exit the car when she saw her boyfriend walking towards the car??

Possibly to stop him from any physical confrontation. He might have been a hothead that could be easily provoked.

BTW, what if the guy that knocked down the man was black? The shooter would be in jail for sure.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:33 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
saw that video footage, the guy doing the shooting was in the wrong on a number of levels, and the sheriff is also wrong.
Which footage?

The longer one from BentBow's OP link, or one of the shorter clips from another link?

Old 07-23-2018, 12:34 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Armed people, not appointed to the role of security or police, should not be going around attempting to enforce laws.

Think about it. How would his action have remedied the long term problem of people parking in the handicapped spot without credentials? I guess it only matters THE MOMENT he visits the store. If he felt so strongly about, why does he not get a job at the store and enforce the rules.
Where do you think we're going? Every time a cop does his job the idiots burn half the city down. People are going to take the law into their own hands if they have to.

I live in a liberal hellhole and have no idea what my rights are here, I'm thinking they are something akin to the Soviet Union (Minnesota). We don't have a SYG law here. So in my case, I'm better off hoping the violent animal criminal who belongs in a cage either doesn't notice me or has something else on his mind. Because if I kill him with a gun I'm screwed. If I beat the living crap out of him (which I probably could against most) I'm screwed and probably sued. So in my case, living in a place that hates white males and will automatically assume I had whatever assault coming...I'm better off hoping for the best and doing NOTHING.

Old 07-23-2018, 12:37 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Here's an example. This poor young mother of 4 abducted and raped repeatedly by this walking sh&Tbag who has done this before and was of course released on the Obama inspired catch and release program. You know...rape is no longer a violent crime apparently to this whacked in the heads liberals.

No problem, she's an acceptable loss right? How long before he's turned loose again?

https://www.twincities.com/2018/07/2...an-in-custody/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies