Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2018, 07:16 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,956,531 times

Advertisements

What this law basically means is, If someone initiates an aggressive conversation without someone and the person they are arguing with fears for their safety, they can defend themselves with deadly force.

The shooter had done that repeatedly.

Here is another poster from Texas at the forum:

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...=896444&page=5

I haven't read the Florida law on stand your ground specifically. I know here in Texas there is a clause within the law that states if YOU instigated the confrontation you can still make a self defense case in court but the fact you ( the shooter ) causing the situation to escalate to deadly force makes proving you feared for your life very hard to prove.

Stand your ground doesn't specifically cover use of deadly force anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong, but stand your ground simply means a citizen has no duty to retreat. In many states, use of deadly force is only authorized if an individual makes an effort to escape/retreat from the situation before resorting to deadly force. In self defense cases a person almost always prove they feared for their life to be protected under the law for self defense.

To me, I believe it's a bad shoot here.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:18 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Interesting Post from a person in Florida

Pinellas county which is loaded with communists is in SW Florida a few hours drive from Seminole county...

In FL one should assume everyone is armed and not to initiate violence be it physical, verbal or both...
I agree with the last part (don't be civilized in Florida) - but never knew there were so many Trump campaign and admin officials....or Russians for that matter, in that part of Florida. Most of the Russians come to have babies in Sunny Isles - in the Trump properties on the other coast.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/russia...to-us-citizens

I know Central Command isn't that far away - but never thought of all those Generals as commies...then again, Petraus Betrayed us while there...so maybe that coup is taking place under our noses? I'll have to check with my survivalist friends...

Old 07-23-2018, 07:18 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,493,553 times
Quote:

The Zimmerman incident happened in Seminole county in Sanford FL, I live 45 minutes from where it took place. Pinellas county which is loaded with communists is in SW Florida a few hours drive from Seminole county...

SYG in FL applies to anywhere you happen to be, in your house, vehicle or walking down the sidewalk etc...

If one fears for their safety or is being attacked including verbal threats of violence ie someone says they are going to beat them to a pulp or beat them to death then deadly force can be used...

Had the person who was shot killed shooter instead this would have also been seen as a justified shooting because the shooter was involved in heated argument with the occupant of the vehicle and when someone is in their vehicle in FL it is considered an extension of their home. Likewise if the person in the vehicle had a firearm they could have also blown the shooter away because the shooter was verbally attacking them and they could have been in fear of their life or bodily harm, if they said loudly "I'm in fear for my life" and the person kept-up the verbal attack the shooting would be seen as justified. If someone being attacked physically or verbally says those words loudly to another person they'd had better turn tail and run in the opposite direction because that is the cue that they are about to be blown away...LOL

Where the person who was killed went wrong is they initiated physical violence against the shooter, had he walked out and said back-off we are leaving but the shooter kept verbally assaulting them, tried to put their hands on them or prevented them from leaving then all bets are off and he could have blown the shooter away and it would also been seen as justified...

It remains to be seen if the DA decides to charge the shooter...

In FL one should assume everyone is armed and not to initiate violence be it physical, verbal or both...
That is correct. Your car is an extension of your home. You do not need a concealed carry permit to have a pistol in your car.
IF the woman was armed she could have shot that guy dead if he had harassed her to the extent that was claimed.

There are 3 places in florida you can not carry in.
1. Court.
2. Bar.
3. Schools.

You do need a CCW if you are going to carry in public. Get caught without a CCW and a pistol or 2 in your waistband. That's a felony charge.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:19 PM

Also, I think this is far from over.
The sheriff did not want to touch this hot potato with a ten foot pole and would rather push it up because of the crap storm coming.

The other two parties don't show a history of harassing people illegally parked, the shooter does. He was armed and started an argument. He knows the laws and used it to his advantage to start an altercation and kill someone. He says he feared for his life. He wasn't scared when he was running his mouth. People like him and his bad judgement are bad for all lawful firearm carriers.

This should go to the Florida Grand Jury to decide if he should be charged.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:20 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,493,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I agree with the first part - but never knew there were so many Trump campaign and admin officials....or Russians for that matter, in that part of Florida. Most of the Russians come to have babies in Sunny Isles - in the Trump properties on the other coast.

I know Central Command isn't that far away - but never thought of all those Generals as commies...then again, Petraus Betrayed us while there...so maybe that coup is taking place under our noses? I'll have to check with my survivalist friends...
Commies are what Florida born and conservative transplants alike refer to democrats.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I agree with the last part (don't be civilized in Florida) - but never knew there were so many Trump campaign and admin officials....or Russians for that matter, in that part of Florida. Most of the Russians come to have babies in Sunny Isles - in the Trump properties on the other coast.

There are a lot of interesting posts on that survivalist forum, and the majority think it was a bad shoot caused by a confrontational idiot that give firearms holders a bad name.

In other words, they want nothing to do with supporting this mans actions.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:35 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Quote:
There are a lot of interesting posts on that survivalist forum, and the majority think it was a bad shoot caused by a confrontational idiot that give firearms holders a bad name.

In other words, they want nothing to do with supporting this mans actions.
Most honest gun owners dread the idea of ever being in a situation requiring them to draw their weapon. Most don't fantasize that they will get to shoot someone. Then again most sane people wouldn't do what the guy that got shot did either.
I won't call it a justified shooting because I don't know what was said by the shooting victim to the shooter. His actions were clear.
This shooting was like a road rage between 2 hot heads.
There are few things that come to mind that ring true to me.
1. If you have $50 in your pocket you are more likely to spend it than if you didn't have it.
2. Bar fights are far more common than fights at church.
3. If you have a gun on you, that will make it far easier to make an excuse to use it, than if you left it at home.

I never carried and never felt a need to, never saw the fascination in carrying a 2 pound side arm on my hip, under my arm, or behind my back.

Last edited by boneyard1962; 07-23-2018 at 08:30 PM..

Old 07-23-2018, 07:44 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,644,647 times
Quote:

The Zimmerman incident happened in Seminole county in Sanford FL, I live 45 minutes from where it took place. Pinellas county which is loaded with communists is in SW Florida a few hours drive from Seminole county...

SYG in FL applies to anywhere you happen to be, in your house, vehicle or walking down the sidewalk etc...

If one fears for their safety or is being attacked including verbal threats of violence ie someone says they are going to beat them to a pulp or beat them to death then deadly force can be used...

Had the person who was shot killed shooter instead this would have also been seen as a justified shooting because the shooter was involved in heated argument with the occupant of the vehicle and when someone is in their vehicle in FL it is considered an extension of their home. Likewise if the person in the vehicle had a firearm they could have also blown the shooter away because the shooter was verbally attacking them and they could have been in fear of their life or bodily harm, if they said loudly "I'm in fear for my life" and the person kept-up the verbal attack the shooting would be seen as justified. If someone being attacked physically or verbally says those words loudly to another person they'd had better turn tail and run in the opposite direction because that is the cue that they are about to be blown away...LOL

Where the person who was killed went wrong is they initiated physical violence against the shooter, had he walked out and said back-off we are leaving but the shooter kept verbally assaulting them, tried to put their hands on them or prevented them from leaving then all bets are off and he could have blown the shooter away and it would also been seen as justified...

It remains to be seen if the DA decides to charge the shooter...

Per Florida Statute 776.012: "A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony." Note the word REASONABLY. I don't believe that being shoved to the ground reaches the level of believing you are at risk of imminent death or great bodily harm. At the most you might get a bruised behind and a fractured wrist, which I do not believe constitutes great bodily harm.

Nor would being verbally accosted by the shooter, constitute the right for the woman in the car to shoot the bully to death. Being verbally accosted may be unpleasant but it is not usually a threat to one's life unless I guess, someone is saying, "I'm going to kill you", or is reaching into the car trying to abduct or assault you."

This situation could indeed be viewed as one in which a father had the right to defend his wife and child from a crazy bully who was verbally accosting them in a threatening manner in a parking lot. He did not resort to deadly force but I believe he had a right to defend his wife and child from this crazy maniac.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
He could argue, and he'd lose. From the video, the shooter was nowhere near his girlfriend. Nor was the shooter making any threatening gestures or body language. Ofc, we have no clue what was being said, but he was too far to be a threat.
No, she felt threatened for her safety and to prove it, felt safe enough to get out when her boyfriend came to her rescue.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:47 PM

33,999 posts, read 17,030,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Per Florida Statute 776.012: "A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force if he or she reasonably believes that using or threatening to use such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony." Note the word REASONABLY. I don't believe that being shoved to the ground reaches the level of believing you are at risk of imminent death or great bodily harm. At the most you might get a bruised behind and a fractured wrist, which I do not believe constitutes great bodily harm.

Grandmother dies after being shoved to ground in Chinatown altercation | Boston Herald

https://www.wishtv.com/national/alle...xas/1116600202
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.