Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 08:18 PM

762 posts, read 1,596,206 times

Advertisements

Tomocox do you believe you stereotype?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 08:58 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,779,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
You just proved the stereotype, but I don't relish it, and I certainly don't condemn you for it. You fit the stereotype, and you can't help it, but you are still in it. It angers me that I can't point out that the rain is falling from the sky without some narrow minded people claiming that I am not a sunny kind of guy. I pointed out a problem which affects many poor people, especially those of color, to such a point that it becomes an expectation, not an exception. That is when a stereotype becomes real, no matter what the cause of the expectations. As a sales oriented person, I want every person to be able to buy my product or service. So don't accuse me of making it worse... Show me the facts that prove my OP wrong.
What stereotype? I just said that I am not a criminal. I never falsified documents or lied to an employer or potential employer. So what are you talking about? And for some professions...I can understand where a credit check would be necessary...but in most cases, it's not. And I have had several desirable jobs where they didn't care about that. (Oh and I worked as a bookkeeper/accounting assistant by the way). If they did, I wouldn't be interested. Again, I fail to recognize exactly what your point is.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:50 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShona View Post
What stereotype? I just said that I am not a criminal. I never falsified documents or lied to an employer or potential employer. So what are you talking about? And for some professions...I can understand where a credit check would be necessary...but in most cases, it's not. And I have had several desirable jobs where they didn't care about that. (Oh and I worked as a bookkeeper/accounting assistant by the way). If they did, I wouldn't be interested. Again, I fail to recognize exactly what your point is.
Well, if you could read, or am I stereotyping, you would have read that not one person was being critical of you, but the fact that for whatever reason, you fall into the demographic of a low credit scoring black American. You borrowed money and then decided not to repay it. While it may have been a choice between human necessities (food, clothing & shelter), the fact is you chose. I had to make the same choices years ago, and I too lost my credit. The difference is that you happen to be black and just like me being stereotyped as a hillbilly from Kentucky, you fall into the group that evidences the stereotype.

I want to end this stereotype. I didn't start it, I just had the guts or stupidity to discuss it.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:30 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Well, if you could read, or am I stereotyping, you would have read that not one person was being critical of you, but the fact that for whatever reason, you fall into the demographic of a low credit scoring black American. You borrowed money and then decided not to repay it. While it may have been a choice between human necessities (food, clothing & shelter), the fact is you chose. I had to make the same choices years ago, and I too lost my credit. The difference is that you happen to be black and just like me being stereotyped as a hillbilly from Kentucky, you fall into the group that evidences the stereotype.

I want to end this stereotype. I didn't start it, I just had the guts or stupidity to discuss it.
ya know, as the thread progresses, I'm leaning more towards the bolded word.

I'll reiterate MissShona: WHAT STEREOTYPE???? common sense would dictate that bad credit is more common among certain socioeconomic groups, not races. you are more likely to have bad credit if you are low income, REGARDLESS of race!! last I checked, PLENTY of whites, Asians, and Hispanics also had bad credit

you're taking something as simple and widespread as lying and bad credit and turning it into a racial issue, which it ISN'T!!! poor people come in all colors. you seem incapable of seeing the difference between a racial stereotype/issue and one that plagues all races and is more of a stereotype/issue of poor/low income people.

I'm sorry, but what was the POINT of this thread anyways????? you say you want to end this stereotype, but you are just fanning it and making yourself appear to be a racist. you had ONE bad experience w/ some lady and choose that experience to make gross generalizations about an entire race???!?!?! racial stereotypes only exist so long as idiotic people choose to make sweeping statements such as yours based on the actions of a few people. what was the point of this thread??? what goal were you trying to accomplish by starting this thread???? if you were trying to start some meaningful discussion on racial issues, you failed, miserably.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:08 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
Quote:

Again, what do you think blacks should do about the stereotype?

Old 04-07-2008, 01:48 PM

152 posts, read 335,375 times
Tom, do you even know what a stereotype is? It is a commonly held notion about a group of people based on generalizations and assumptions. This is exactly what you are doing and I am sorry that you cannot see this. Because you've seen a few or several black people with bad credit, you are somehow acting like this has a bad impact on every black person in this country...and it most certainly does not. And I don't care what Juan Williams or Bill Cosby say, there again, they do not speak for me or are some kind of authority on black people just because they are black. They are two individuals with their own opinions. That's another thing, one black person says something and somehow they are speaking for every black person in the nation. It's a burden that is unfair and i don't appreciate it.

MissShona has a low credit score because of school loans and many young people are in this position regardless of race. To compare her to someone who was trying to commit a criminal act is really offensive.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:53 PM

200 posts, read 121,781 times
Why is it that whites are judged as individuals, but members of color, especially blacks, held accountable as a group for the actions of one or a few?

It's clearly a double standard and a racist one at that. I'm willing to bet, had the thread starter come into contact with a white woman, who fit the same description and had the same bad credit and criminal history, he would not have broad-brushed the entire white race (because more than likely he is white himself).

Much like homophobia, racism, is the product of ignorance, and an unwillingness to understand a particular group of people.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:48 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
Why is it that whites are judged as individuals, but members of color, especially blacks, held accountable as a group for the actions of one or a few?

It's clearly a double standard and a racist one at that. I'm willing to bet, had the thread starter come into contact with a white woman, who fit the same description and had the same bad credit and criminal history, he would not have broad-brushed the entire white race (because more than likely he is white himself).

Much like homophobia, racism, is the product of ignorance, and an unwillingness to understand a particular group of people.
This point is true...but apprently you've missed some pretty explicit posts around here. There have been a NUMBER of folks referring to 'redneck whites'...to tradesmen and craftsmen who feel entitled to rip customers off 'just because they're (the workers) white'....to 'white oppression' of minorities, 'white' affinity for Confederate flags, Nazi sympathies, and 'whites' as being the only group in our society incapable of 'understanding' all the OTHER groups. "Whites" are also spoken of as not having a 'real' culture, unlike everyone else. "Whites" are considered 'default' racists, because they've failed to 'immerse themselves' in others' cultures" (the members of which, presumably, are under no obligation to immerse THEMSELVES in 'white culture'...if, indeed, such a thing exists at all)..

Racism is WRONG, in ALL its myriad manifestations.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:01 PM

200 posts, read 121,781 times
Oh please. And whites also dominate the political, business, and educational establishments of this country. They make up a disproportionate amount of wealth here.

Whites don't have a culture? You're kidding. White culture is everywhere, it's default - it is what it is.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:05 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
Oh please. And whites also dominate the political, business, and educational establishments of this country. They make up a disproportionate amount of wealth here.

Whites don't have a culture? You're kidding. White culture is everywhere, it's default - it is what it is.
Yes, I noticed that..things like math, science, engineering, and astronmomy. Also freedom, democracy, and animal rights....those pesky 'whites' have just about taken over EVERYTHING....

Thanks for the reminder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies