Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:07 PM

200 posts, read 121,781 times

Advertisements

How incredibly ignorant of you to take credit for things you only marginally were responsible for.

Mathematics, in particular were first understood by the ancient Egyptians, and then more broadly understood by east Asians.

When you start suggesting whites created modern everything, you start on a slippery slope...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 06:20 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
How incredibly ignorant of you to take credit for things you only marginally were responsible for.

Mathematics, in particular were first understood by the ancient Egyptians, and then more broadly understood by east Asians.

When you start suggesting whites created modern everything, you start on a slippery slope...
My post was OBVIOUSLY made in sarcasm. The point WAS that these things aren't "white", or any OTHER color--they're part of our modern life, which isn't 'white'..it's AMERICAN..

You'll have to be patient with me, and clue me in here. I drive a pickup built by Asians. I have three races in my family, two of which aren't white. I have three kids and four grandkids, none of whom are wholly white. I live in a house that was recently re-roofed by Mexicans, I have a black god-daughter, and I live in an area that's mostly non-white. Each week I take a turn in a carpool, hauling 6 Jr. High-School girls home, only ONE of whom is 'white'....and each night I climb into bed with an Indian. I attend a Catholic church that's about 60% Hispanic and 10% Filipino.

Sorry, but somehow, I just don't feel as 'dominant' as you seem to think I am. Could be I just don't 'get it', I guess. How is my life 'dominated by white culture', in your estimation?....

Old 04-07-2008, 06:34 PM

89 posts, read 66,885 times
Lets be honest, and economics aside, it's not exactly a lie that African-Americans are over-represented in nearly every field of criminal activity.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:39 PM

200 posts, read 121,781 times
It's not, you're right. But let's not make blatant generalizations either. Plently of blacks are highly educated, and successful.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnmeon View Post
It's not, you're right. But let's not make blatant generalizations either. Plently of blacks are highly educated, and successful.
Of COURSE they are....and it has nothing to do with being "white", either. That was my point...."success" shouldn't be looked at as having any 'racial' component, any more than failure should.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:06 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
I have asked several times, but not one person can or is willing to disprove my hypothesis that black people living in a black ghetto have reason for the stereotype to fail. Make it fail!!! While many people are busting my chops, not one of the chop busters has given me documented reason to fail my hypothesis. If my stereotype is not true, please, I beg, please kill it. PLEASE. I don't want people to be negatively stereotyped. I don't want to think in stereotypical manner, but I don't have the evidence to show me otherwise and that no longer allows it to be a stereotype, but rather a fact.

Last edited by tomocox; 04-07-2008 at 07:25 PM..

Old 04-07-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I have asked several times, but not one person can or is willing to disprove my hypothesis that black people living in a black ghetto have reason for the stereotype to fail. Make it fail!!! While many people are busting my chops, not one of the chop busters has given me documented reason to fail my hypothesis. If my stereotype is not true, please, I beg, please kill it. PLEASE. I don't want people to be negatively stereotyped. I don't want to think in stereotypical manner, but I don't have the evidence to show me otherwise and that no longer allows it to be a stereotype, but rather a fact.
A stereotype is SOMETIMES true, and that' what causes its 'sting". It angers and annoys people, because there's a partial 'rationale' behind it. A totally "bogus" attribute wouldn't 'sting', because it would be simply nonsense, (For example..."Mormon Gang-Bangers"....or "Chinese-American Skinheads"...or "Catholic suicide bombers") These things don't ANGER people, because their absurdity means they have no 'credibility'. Either they don't exist at all...or they exist in such small numbers as to be inconsequential.

As you say, "people living in a black ghetto" DO have problems, and it IS a valid enough stereotype to cause discomfort. But what's your point.? It's STILL a 'stereotype"..meaning it's partially 'true', but by no means "always"..or even MOSTLY. All it is, is a 'stereotype'. Some people fit it...but many don't.
In ADDITION, what exactly, is a "black ghetto", anyway? Black people live in MANY areas (some live near ME) that are by no means, a 'ghetto'. Some black people live in very affluent neighborhoods, and some in heavily BLACK affluent neighborhoods..and these folks would obviously not fit your stereotype. Even many of the folks IN "the ghetto" would be exceptions to the stereotype. So what, really is the point? If you think you can accurately 'judge' folks like this, you're simply WRONG...but you already know that.

Obviously, there are stereotypical blacks who fit the negative 'ghetto' image. Similarly, there are whites who'd fit perfectly into the 'toothless, shiftless, rifle-totin' hillbilly' stereotype..enough of them that there IS, in fact, a valid reason for that stereotype to exist. But certainly MOST whites do NOT fit this image...and, I can assure you from personal experience, that "other" whites do NOT appreciate being 'lumped' into this category. Nevertheless the stereotype exists, and will probably continue to do so.

Stereotypes exist because there's at least a SLIM reason for them....but, by definition, they're inaccurate, incomplete, and not very 'valid'. If they WERE, they wouldn't be called 'stereotypes" at all.

ALL racial groups and ethnic groups, by the way, know of their OWN stereotypes....and often, in PRIVATE, find much humor in them, among family and friends. It's when they come from 'outsiders' that stereotypes begin to cause anger and bad feelings. And that's just 'the way it is", I'm afraid...

Old 04-07-2008, 08:21 PM

762 posts, read 1,596,206 times
Quote:
I forgot what your hypothsis was what was it again

Old 04-07-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veltz View Post
Lets be honest, and economics aside, it's not exactly a lie that African-Americans are over-represented in nearly every field of criminal activity.
African-Americans are certainly represented among the 'criminals' of America, no doubt about it. But you'll have to admit, relatvely few blacks make up the ranks of those who perpetrate securities fraud,, or serial murderers, or people who blow up Federal Buildings, or shoot up school campuses. And VERY few blacks are involved in KKK lynchings, beatings, or intimidation.(at least as perpetrators)... Or espionage. Or corporate "price-fixing". Or tax evasion. Or "insider trading" on Wall Street.

So while blacks are over-represented in SOME crimes, they're UNDER-represented in others....

Old 04-07-2008, 11:00 PM

152 posts, read 335,375 times
Quote:
Then don't think in a stereotypical manner. You act like you are being forced to think this way when you have the choice to operate on the knowledge that while a few black people act a certain way, it does not mean that all blacks do. Like another poster said, there may be some white people that are referred to as "hillbillies" or "rednecks" (both ignorant terms) but should I put you in a position of having to "prove" to me that you are not a so-called hillbilly? There are some whites that are Klan members. Should I make you prove to me that you are not one? No to both questions because the actions of a few have nothing to do with you as an individual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies