Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 03:39 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Of course they can, though my understanding is that gays, as a group, have a higher average income.

No, the point is that the party makes "LGBT" a central issue and tout it all the time, as if it's a civil rights issue akin to the actual civil rights struggle of black-Americans in the 20th century. By harping on it all the time, they needlessly turn off big swaths of voters outside our biggest cities.

My impression is that most gays aren't even down with gay activists and some of their rhetoric that gets parroted by the Democratic Party.
As if it was a civil rights issue? It IS a civil rights issue. Just as black people had to fight to be treated fairly and equally, so do our LGBT friends. Black people fought long and hard to gain rights that they deserved to have had from the get go in this world and the same goes for our LGBT friends. It’s very much a civil rights issue and a very important one today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 03:49 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
True, I’m always open and admit that as a party we’ve really screwed up. I think somehow and maybe Nancy carries some of the blame as Leader, people think we look down on them and don’t care about their issues, that worries me because we have to win back those areas and I think the party has become way too complacent being the party of NYC and SF.

Bold is mine. I think it goes beyond that. The Democrat party over the past few decades has focused on many fringe groups. It's a very fractured party and I'm not sure how you get back the unemployed roofer by supporting illegal immigrants as one example.

Had Sanders won the nomination Hillary supporters would have gotten behind him, I don't know if you can count on them getting behind a candidate like that this election cycle.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:03 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
No you call them illegals ,you call them criminals ,you take away their children ,it is the republicans that are deplorable. Then you lie about who is doing it to them.
Entering the US illegally is a violation of the law. You do realize that US citizens who are arrested for violating the law are separated from their children as well, no? That's a predictable consequence of violating the law. Are liberals brain dead? /SMH

Old 07-23-2018, 05:41 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,951,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Entering the US illegally is a violation of the law. You do realize that US citizens who are arrested for violating the law are separated from their children as well, no? That's a predictable consequence of violating the law. Are liberals brain dead? /SMH
People (or liberals) need to realize that legal immigrants are different from illegals. Unfortunately, they think it’s one in the same.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:25 AM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
*This is neither an endorsement nor a defense of President Tinyhands*

The Democratic Party walked away from White Working Class voters. They sided with the billionaires instead via NAFTA, and stood buy while the Republicans crushed the unions. Now Dems have embraced deliberately obtuse identity politics- telling working class whites that they're privileged... while simultaneously mocking them and outsourcing their jobs to China and illegal immigrants.

And Dems wonder why my trump-voting kin won't support them??

I'll never vote for Trump... and really any Republican is iffy to me at this point. But tens of millions of my fellow rednecks see things differently. And Democrats have learned *nothing* from the election of Trump.

Most accurate assessment of Dems I have seen from a liberal in quite some time.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
By 2020, a lot more states are going to have their republican gerrymandering rolled back, as was done this year, in Pennsylvania. Without that, they wouldn't hold a majority in the House, today.
not happening. Its actually promoted by both parties in each state,as, quite frankly, if you are the minority party statewide, you essentially get guaranteed house seats, too, via Gerry-mandering.

Plus GOP controls several dozen states-meaning all chambers, Dems, only control 6 that way last time I looked.

To change a state, one must control all legislative chambers. GOP dominance there is not going to flip. Mid America abhors the Democratic party, and by that, I mean the overwhelming majority of states not touching a coastline.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:47 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
It's incredible, really, and a measure of their arrogance. They honestly think they can insult working class people, a la Mitt and "47% are takers," and then expect these people they insult to vote for them, 'cuz, you know, the minimum wage or "jobs programs" or whatever.
I've come to the conclusion that Liberals aren't particularly interested in winning. Virtue signaling is far more important.

If liberals wanted to win, *all* they'd have to do is clearly and unambiguously declare that our approach to the war on drugs has been a failure, and call for the legalization of marijuana. That's it. That alone would give them a landslide. Better yet, state clearly and unambiguously that we need socialized medicine. And give people the facts- that we *already* spend twice as much on healthcare as countries with socialized healthcare. That we *already* have massive healthcare rationing- implemented by Wall Steet rather than voters.

But the former would require balls. The latter would require balls... and offending Wall Steet. So much easier to nag the nation about identity politics. That may play well with the base- it's safe in that sense- but no trump-voter wants to hear about it.

For *decades* the white working class supported Democrats even if they didn't agree with the party on everything. Because there was something in it for them (unions, mainly). That's gone for the most part. And regardless of whose fault that is... exactly why *would* my fellow rednecks support Democrats anymore?

Democrats have shown no interest in answering that question.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
For *decades* the white working class supported Democrats even if they didn't agree with the party on everything. Because there was something in it for them (unions, mainly). That's gone for the most part. And regardless of whose fault that is... exactly why *would* my fellow rednecks support Democrats anymore?

Democrats have shown no interest in answering that question.
and w/o Rust Belt ec votes, no DNC path to 270 exists.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:03 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
and w/o Rust Belt ec votes, no DNC path to 270 exists.
That's true. Trump won rust belt states by a fairly narrow margin, so I think Democrats are hoping Trump is so awful that these rust belt states will flip back to blue in 2018 and 2020. Basically 'ignore the problem and it'll go away'.

In the short term they might be right. Maybe.

But in the long term... alienating THE largest voting bloc in the country (working class whites) is a damn poor strategy. I have no love for Trump or the Republicans... but a party that abandons its own base deserves to lose.

Support for assorted 'social justice' causes has become a class signal. A badge of inclusion in the educated, urban, multicultural middle class. A way of declaring oneself separate from those ignorant rubes out in fly-over country. I grew up in Deepest Darkest Appalachia... decades later I'm an educated urbanite, so I can see the appeal of this on an individual level. But that's become most of the DNC's political culture- driving my rural kin into the arms of the a cynical con-man like Trump.

Trump is no natural ally of working class people. He's urban, socially liberal, a silver-spoon billionaire who hasn't done an honest day's work in his life. But he doesn't talk down to rednecks. He doesn't act like he's better than them. He promises to work on their priorities- and follows through at least to some extent. He doesn't tell the white, straight, cisgender *majority* that they should be ashamed of who they are. He isn't pushing government-enforced social engineering projects designed to aide everyone *except* this same majority.

Democrats could learn from this, but I've seen no mainstream interest among them. They prefer to look down on these people, revel in their virtue-signalling, and rely on demographic change that's been just around the corner for how many election cycles now?

Well, my fellow liberals... how's that working out for ya'?

Old 07-23-2018, 09:15 AM

Quote:
he doesn't talk down to rednecks. He doesn't act like he's better than them. He promises to work on their priorities- and follows through at least to some extent. He doesn't tell the white, straight, cisgender *majority* that they should be ashamed of who they are. He isn't pushing government-enforced social engineering projects designed to aide everyone *except* this same majority.

Democrats could learn from this, but I've seen no mainstream interest among them. They prefer to look down on these people, revel in their virtue-signalling, and rely on demographic change that's been just around the corner for how many election cycles now?

Well, my fellow liberals... how's that working out for ya'?
Dems are hilarious in their stupidity. No one did more for the RNC than the DNC.

He has delivered for his base or worked towards a large portion already of what he said he would do. Rust belt will stay with Trump, and key unstated fact, it just takes 1 of 3 states-Pa, Mi, or Wi for Trump. Any one in 2016 and he was POTUS. So if you view DNC odds in them as 50-50 each, odds to take all 3 are one in EIGHT (2 to the third power).

As for the virtue-signaling, while libs were busy patting themselves on the back, the SC has been reshaped or will be through 2045 with the next SC's appointment in a few months, and yes, it will sail through.

I do not laugh with liberals. I laugh at them. This is like watching a pitcher throw it dead red to me (right down middle) on 0-2. When it should be outside corner at start dropping way out of strike zone.

You are spot on. DNC is oblivious to what is happening, and what the root causes and corrective action are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies