Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 04:12 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Clearly you were suggesting a currency backed by "something of value," which usually refers to gold or silver:

In response to your comment where you assumed that a currency "backed by something of value" would not cause panics, I pointed out that there were many panics while we had a "currency backed by something of value." Once again, all you need to do is look up the many panics that occurred prior to the creation of the Federal Reserve, and/or prior to the abandonment of the gold/silver standard in 1971.

Basically, I've answered your question, but for some reason you don't seem to want to acknowledge thus.
Basically you're babbling the same non answer. I asked "why would a currency backed by something of value cause a financial panic."
All you've responded with is that there were panics with a gold backed currency. Again can you explain what is intrinsic to a value backed currecy that would cause a panic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2018, 04:12 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
A compromise is in order. End ICE and the Fed

Old 07-21-2018, 04:15 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
So, now they support the 1%! Because Trump is suggesting hitting them hard???? Too funny.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:19 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm not sure you want to mess with the folks that control the Fed. Those that do know where Jimmy Hoffa is...if you catch my drift.

You are quite confused. If you catch my drift.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:22 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Trump wants the fed to continue to artificially keep the interest rate lower. Not likely he will end it, he wants to manipulate it to his satisfaction.

Well at least the fed saw the 2008 crash before it happened and kept us out of that mess. And the kept out of the great depression.

Oh, wait a second...

I thought two years ago Trump complained that the rates were kept too low for too long. Now he wants them to remain too low.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:24 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Fun to watch Occupy Wallstreet supporters, flip overnight just because it is Trump doing it.
They were right. We got hosed, and they ( the architects of destruction ) walked away laughing.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:26 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Well at least the fed saw the 2008 crash before it happened and kept us out of that mess. And the kept out of the great depression.
2008 wasn't near as bad as it could have been. Rates were cut to near zero and then we had quantitative easing. It can be argued whether or not QE should have happened but it did help keep things from getting as bad as they could have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I thought two years ago Trump complained that the rates were kept too low for too long. Now he wants them to remain too low.
It's good for the stock market and it helps the economy in the short term by creating bubbles. Most people who know anything about the economy though would agree that rates were too low for too long.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:30 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Basically you're babbling the same non answer. I asked "why would a currency backed by something of value cause a financial panic."
All you've responded with is that there were panics with a gold backed currency. Again can you explain what is intrinsic to a value backed currecy that would cause a panic?
You seem to be too lazy to do the research I suggested, so if you insist, here is as direct an answer as possible: Metal backed currencies are too inflexible. Let's say your population is growing by 2% a year, but due to its fixed price against gold (say, $35/ounce, or whatever) and the inability of miners to produce an additional 2% increase in the supply of gold per year, demand for new money will outstrip the supply. As a result you will get deflation and some sort of panic caused by shortages of money. This is why panics of some sort occurred every 10 years or so prior to the creation of the Fed, and prior to the abandonment of the gold/silver standard in 1971. Since 1971, recessions have actually become less frequent.

The reason why fiat currencies work so well is because their value is based on supply and demand. Currency is (mostly) created when someone takes out a loan (which amounts to demand of new currency) and it is destroyed as that loan is paid off. If demand for new loans increases, the system allows the supply of currency to increase. If demand for new loans decreases, the system allows for the supply of new currency to decrease. This is difficult to do in a metal-backed system, unless you allow banks to create their own currencies (which many did back in the day), which is essentially a subversion of the metal-backed system, so why even bother? Fixing the value of a currency is an artificial restraint on its supply. It is as stupid to fix the value of a currency (via a metallic standard) as it is to fix the value of cars, corn, widgets, or anything else.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:38 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
At this point I can't help but wonder if Trump is trying to intentionally collapse the economy. The current economy isn't great but its bearable for most people. A good economy is the number one barrier to an authoritarian dictator taking over. If we see an economic collapse, it's very possible a far-right theocratic dictatorship could replace the current US government ala "A Handmaid's Tale." I wonder if that's the ultimate goal of Trump and the GOP.

Old 07-21-2018, 04:47 PM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Here we come Great Depression 2.0. I hope all you Trump supporters enjoy your soup lines and tent cities. You want 1955 but you are going to get 1935.
Why do you think the Fed is the only chartalist system there is? Why does the government even need interest bearing bonds anyway? Gold has no yield.

We should have a simple chartalist a 5th grader could understand. What we have is a shell game few people understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies