Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 10:02 AM

25,438 posts, read 17,128,344 times

Advertisements

Nice try, Media.
You tried to stir up controversy by reporting outrage where none exists. You try this all the time and sometimes it succeeds; you get maybe 2 emails from people who say they are outraged, and away you go.

See where the 'fake news' conversation started?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 10:03 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,557,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
The one they interviewed in the piece would be Gen Z, not a Millennial.

If they are offering avocado on food and craft beer, call me a millennial!

Old 07-22-2018, 11:22 AM

4,771 posts, read 3,278,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I played sports through out the 80s and I never received a participation trophy or ribbon. I am X gen born to baby boomers. I learned to lose which made me appreciate winning. Maybe it was the area I grew up in but nobody received anything for participating. I am grateful I never received anything for participation.
I earned my living in Baseball and I never received one either, but am told they started back in the 80's. I have no problem with them for kids that are say 5 or 6, however I think many make to big of a deal about them. Certainly no effect on kids serious about sports these days as they are more skilled and competitive then ever before.

I actually replied to this post before actually reading the link. Heard about it about a week ago and though it was kind of strange, but after reading the article I see it was all in fun.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:13 PM

25,805 posts, read 16,451,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I earned my living in Baseball and I never received one either, but am told they started back in the 80's. I have no problem with them for kids that are say 5 or 6, however I think many make to big of a deal about them. Certainly no effect on kids serious about sports these days as they are more skilled and competitive then ever before.

I actually replied to this post before actually reading the link. Heard about it about a week ago and though it was kind of strange, but after reading the article I see it was all in fun.
It’s what I love about minor league baseball, they aren’t so constrained with their promotions. The Saint Paul Saints have some priceless promotions.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:04 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,563,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
As a Generation Xer, I have never understood why my generation is like basically ignored, at least compared to the Baby Boomers and the Millennials. Perhaps it is similar to what the senior Silent Generation feels.
Don't underestimate the charms of being ignored. Compared to the potshots people are always taking at Boomers and Millennials, flying under the radar is a picnic. I kinda like it.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:12 PM

18,432 posts, read 15,186,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And funnily enough, started by Baby Boomer parents for their generation x kids. LOL...and continued by generation x parents.

Shaking my head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
I played sports through out the 80s and I never received a participation trophy or ribbon. I am X gen born to baby boomers. I learned to lose which made me appreciate winning. Maybe it was the area I grew up in but nobody received anything for participating. I am grateful I never received anything for participation.
I had the same experience. I’m a Gen Xer, born in ‘69. Back then,(70s & 80s) you either won or you lost. I never even heard of a participation trophy until I had my own kids in sports.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:13 PM

56,989 posts, read 35,122,003 times
Quote:
So it’s bad for NFL players to “offend” football fans by taking a knee...

But you applaud a minor league baseball team for purposely trying to offend young fans that they need to attract to be successful?

And people wonder why baseball is in such bad shape in this country.

No coincidence that this was in Alabama.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:22 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,113,068 times
Genius marketing strategy: mocking the audience that you need to survive.

Next up: marketing makeup by playing up stereotypes of women with PMS.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:27 PM

4,771 posts, read 3,278,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
I had the same experience. I’m a Gen Xer, born in ‘69. Back then,(70s & 80s) you either won or you lost. I never even heard of a participation trophy until I had my own kids in sports.
I believe they are designed mostly for the little guys and girls. Some YMCA's don't even keep score. Personally I think the biggest travesty in youth sports, specifically Baseball are the boundary rules. I believe a parent should be allowed to take their kid anywhere they want as long as they can make the team. Who wants to be stuck being restricted by area playing for a possible bad coach?

Old 07-22-2018, 04:11 PM

33,865 posts, read 16,906,563 times
Quote:

spot on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies