Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 12:32 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,054 times

Advertisements

I am for the death penalty.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Shouldn't sub-human genetic scum such as pedophiles, rapists, serial killers be killed? They certainly will never contribute positively to society and end up just wasting oxygen, there's nothing good about them at all and no "counseling" will ever change them. The kind of people that their mothers should have drowned at birth.

Plus, if all of these people were summarily executed it would save a TON of money on keeping them alive and taking care of them.

After 20,000 years, hanging and decapitation have only recently been ruled cruel and unusual.

There is nothing cruel or unusual about it.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:34 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,741,992 times
Because some of us believe that the government should not have the right to kill people.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:51 PM

643 posts, read 329,197 times
I'm against the death penalty.

The fact I am a Christian has nothing to do with my opposition .

I just feel that the families of the victims who demand it are doing it strictly for revenge.

Yes, punishment should fit the crime but I am in favor of life in prison w/o parole for anyone convicted of murder.
( that takes care of keeping society safe)

For the punishment phase, no contact with the outside world.
To the outside world you no longer exist.

The only visitor would be a visit from a cleric of your choice.

Solitary confinement with no TV or newspaper.

Books allowed only.

Serving a life sentence that might be 50 years would feel like 500 years.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:10 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,239,198 times
Was watching a show that had Pablo Escobar’s hitman on it. He’s killed thousands of people, including his own girlfriend on Escobar’s order but has served his time and is out already. Giving tours of Escobar’s properties and re-enacting kills as a YouTube star. Making a killing off his prior killings. That’s messed up. But he claims to be reformed and paid his debt to society after just 22 years.

That to me is an obvious death penalty case.

Life in prison doesn’t make sense to me. If you’re saying there is no chance they would ever be reformed and able to rejoin society just put them down.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:17 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
I'm against the death penalty.

The fact I am a Christian has nothing to do with my opposition .

I just feel that the families of the victims who demand it are doing it strictly for revenge.

Yes, punishment should fit the crime but I am in favor of life in prison w/o parole for anyone convicted of murder.
( that takes care of keeping society safe)

For the punishment phase, no contact with the outside world.
To the outside world you no longer exist.

The only visitor would be a visit from a cleric of your choice.

Solitary confinement with no TV or newspaper.

Books allowed only.

Serving a life sentence that might be 50 years would feel like 500 years.
I understand and respect your opinion, but I’m personally not okay with having monsters live out their lives on my dime. These violent criminals that kill, torture, rape, molest and ruin people’s lives do not, in my opinion, deserve to keep theirs.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:20 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,067 times
This is why I don't support the death penalty:

https://www.innocenceproject.org/

Old 07-22-2018, 02:44 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You could probably google faster the reasons folks don't support the death penalty.

Religion is a big one...go from there.
But religion is also a big reason people do. White evangelicals are among the most pro-death penalty cohorts.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:48 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,584,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
This is why I don't support the death penalty:

https://www.innocenceproject.org/
^^^This. As long as there is even the possibility of error, there should be no death penalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Maybe becuase they fear they may be sentenced to it someday?
Please see above. People do get wrongly accused. Can you imagine anything more horrifying than that? I have never harmed another person in my life, but every time I hear about someone who has been found to be innocent after years in prison, I have nightmares, because it really could happen to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The only reason to take the life of another is in defense of a life or property. No one except that indivudual themself, owns their life.
^^^This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Because some of us believe that the government should not have the right to kill people.
^^^And this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Probably because the criminal justice system is totally corrupt and people realize that enough lying scum cops and prosecutors have sentenced enough innocent people to death that the only way to keep innocent people from being executed is to not have the death penalty. As a result, all the guilty scum killers get to live life in prison. But the criminal justice system isn't about justice, it's about money. So the USA is the most incarcerated society in the history of the planet. Leave it to us to figure out a way to make corporate profits off of prisons, to make an industry out of arrests and trials.
^^^With limited amounts of this thrown in, just for seasoning. I think most people in the justice system are good, but the pressure to solve a case and get a prosecution can easily derail the whole process. The ultimate goal of a prosecutor should be, not to prosecute the first available suspect, but to pursue the truth. Sadly, that is not always the case.

I understand the desire for revenge when someone has been raped or murdered. I absolutely do. The thing is, I'm just idealistic enough to believe that one of the functions of society, including the justice system, should be to counteract that impulse, to cool hot emotions, and to ward off the very human tendency to seek vigilante solutions.

Old 07-22-2018, 02:49 PM

14,772 posts, read 8,101,600 times
I support it...if it is an obvious case, where the guilt is not in question
for things like Murder and Pedophilia. Shame that it takes so long.

I don't like the idea of my tax dollars keeping them alive, in that kind of circumstance to be honest.
But there have been cases where people have been found Guilty, when they weren't....so it has to be a clear cut case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies