Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 03:30 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Most of the wealthy people in red states live and vacation in blue states.
So wealthy red state residents live in blue states? Are you smoking again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 03:34 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I'm surprised he realized there are wealthy people in so called red states! The more these people go on about red states and blue states, the more people like us, who have traveled all over look at them as idiots.

Actually, there is very little difference among Americans in all 50 states. Regular people in all 50 states are very similar in both attitude and income when cost of living is factored in.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:36 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
People have flocked to North Carolina, Colorado for example, both former very red states.
Former?

NC has 2.5 million registered Dems, 2 million registered GOP.

I think CO. is definitely purple to blue.

Not allowed to use former - because if we use that, we'd have to say people are leaving the "formerly red" northeast....

I lived in WV for a year when I was younger. At first glance we enjoyed the place. I liked the people - and the scenery.

But after I found out that they (capitalists from London and Wall Street circa 1900 or so) had purchased virtually every sq. ft. of mineral rights and could strip mine directly under my feet I gave it up. No jobs either.

Much of the country is purple - independents are BY FAR the largest registered group....so much of the old ways don't pertain any longer.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Former?

NC has 2.5 million registered Dems, 2 million registered GOP.

I think CO. is definitely purple to blue.

Not allowed to use former - because if we use that, we'd have to say people are leaving the "formerly red" northeast....

I lived in WV for a year when I was younger. At first glance we enjoyed the place. I liked the people - and the scenery.

But after I found out that they (capitalists from London and Wall Street circa 1900 or so) had purchased virtually every sq. ft. of mineral rights and could strip mine directly under my feet I gave it up. No jobs either.

Much of the country is purple - independents are BY FAR the largest registered group....so much of the old ways don't pertain any longer.
My point holds steady. Yes, NC was a formerly red state before a lot of Yankees moved into the state.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Sitting here near Newport RI and I can confirm that many of the buyers here and on the Cape are "Red Staters", specifically Texas and related resource extractors.

Heck, the Kochs even have a place on the Cape....so, yeah......some truth to that.

They like places where oil refineries aren't sitting right next to them.

Some nice places too - generally in the 7 million to 20 million range. Usually one of 5-7 houses they own, so they only spend a couple weeks here.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
My point holds steady. Yes, NC was a formerly red state before a lot of Yankees moved into the state.
Ah, so all the talk about them being Democrats way back....must be false!

Gotcha!

To be somewhat accurate, NC is 23% African-American and I doubt most are Yankees. They are probably Blue. Much of the state was never for slavery either (the western part)....

My Florida born neighbor down there.....lives in NC for 1/2 the year as do many "red-staters" from other places, despite their politics.

The growth of educational and research institutions has also colored the state more purple...again, the influx could be from anywhere.

In a general sense, as any area becomes more educated and well-to-do (resource extraction aside), it veers toward the center or left.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Ah, so all the talk about them being Democrats way back....must be false!

Gotcha!

To be somewhat accurate, NC is 23% African-American and I doubt most are Yankees. They are probably Blue. Much of the state was never for slavery either (the western part)....

My Florida born neighbor down there.....lives in NC for 1/2 the year as do many "red-staters" from other places, despite their politics.

The growth of educational and research institutions has also colored the state more purple...again, the influx could be from anywhere.

In a general sense, as any area becomes more educated and well-to-do (resource extraction aside), it veers toward the center or left.
What are you talking about? You're all over the place. People moving from the north to NC has made that state purple. I don't know what the debate is. If you know your American history, you know that NC was a part of the Confederacy and was a Democrat state going back to that time. It became Republican in modern times.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:53 PM

19,845 posts, read 12,106,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
According to 2017 National Movers Study, and various news articles citing census figures and so forth, folks are moving to Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Colorado, Vermont, Arizona, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...merican-movers

With the exception of the auto industry and NASA around Huntsville, Alabama is probably getting retirees moving down from the north, as is South Carolina, and Arizona. Lot of retirees moving to North Carolina as well.

Looks like working folks are moving to Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Colorado, and Vermont.

None of them are red states.
According to your link, out of the top 10 states people are moving TO - 4 are Red states, 3 are Independent and 3 are Blue.

Out of the top 10 states people are moving OUT of - 6 are Blue, 3 are Red and 1 is Independent, with the top 4 states percent outbound being Blue.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:58 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Oh, don't I wish.

Many wealthy people have more than one home. Some have as many as nine. I realize this may be news to some.

Often, they maintain a primary residence in a state with the best tax situation but spend their time at homes in more pleasant environments.

Old 07-22-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
According to your link, out of the top 10 states people are moving TO - 4 are Red states, 3 are Independent and 3 are Blue.

Out of the top 10 states people are moving OUT of - 6 are Blue, 3 are Red and 1 is Independent, with the top 4 states percent outbound being Blue.
But, she heard that Oklahoma and West Virginia were full of rednecks, so thought she'd make a topic on those ignorant people! This shows her ignorance of the reality of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies