Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 04:14 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
According to your link, out of the top 10 states people are moving TO - 4 are Red states, 3 are Independent and 3 are Blue.

There are actually 11 states, not 10. Count them again if you doubt me.

I was responding to a post claiming that people were moving to red states like Texas for employment. According to this info, Texas is not one of the states gaining people.

People are indeed moving to red states, but with the exception of NASA and the auto industry around Huntsville, Alabama, and perhaps the Raleigh/Durham area in North Carolina, it is likely people moving to southern red states to retire rather than seek employment. Arizona, South Carolina, Alabama, and North Carolina are attracting a lot of retirees.

Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Colorado, Vermont, South Dakota, and Idaho are gaining population. As it is unlikely many are moving to these states to retire, jobs are probably the attraction.

So are you maintaining that 3 of these states vote independent?

Which ones, pray tell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2018, 04:15 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,027,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
West Virginia is beautiful as we vacationed there 2 years ago. But someone like me wouldn't fit I'm as I possess a mouthful of my own teeth.
All those teeth and you still can't form a complete sentence...

Old 07-22-2018, 04:17 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
In 1970, all four metro areas had similar population sizes. Yet, the first and last left the other two in the dust long ago. Even before the high-tech boom, both Austin and Raleigh-Durham were far and away the most liberal areas in otherwise conservative states. BTW, resources (even oil) doesn't really matter. Yes, Texas had oil to fund it, but so does Louisiana. North Carolina has no oil, yet is also high-tech rich. If lack of oil isn't a problem for Raleigh-Durham, then Columbia should have developed high-tech with comparative ease, given it also has a warm winter climate and low taxes. But it didn't!

So if oil is neither an advantage nor disadvantage in high tech industries, and all four cities have similar climates (especially winter ones), then how come Austin and the NC Triangle boomed while Baton Rouge and Columbia stayed largely on the rocks?
First of all, RDU and Columbia were never the same size. RDU was more than 2x as large as Columbia in the 70s. Furthermore, most of the RDU metro is indeed Red. And you completely ignored the growth in Greenville/Spartanburg.

Second, the fastest and largest growing metro in the Carolinas, Charlotte, is nothing like you try to depict in your cherry picked example. And its current growth has to be seen to be believed.

People are moving to the Carolinas, Texas, and others to escape the liberal hell holes in the NE and CA. People coming here say it time after time.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:19 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
What an elitist comment to make. So, you're subjecting an entire area and the people to your standards? An area subjected to Democrat control for decades.

It seems the ignorant like to come here and show their ignorance for all to see.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:21 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
West Virginia is beautiful as we vacationed there 2 years ago. But someone like me wouldn't fit I'm as I possess a mouthful of my own teeth.
False I assume.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:24 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Ignorant Democrat partisans, who live in states like NY or CA, who have never been to or experienced any other part of America think that anyone who lives outside of NY or CA is ignorant.

The modern members of the Democrat party think that regular Americans in places like Indiana or Georgia or Montana are ignorant. They think we don't deserve equal representation and they would like to invalidate the Constitution.

And before I moved out of largely rural and ultra-conservative north Louisiana, I used to think that "liberal Democrat" and "common sense" didn't belong in the same sentence. Then I went to college in a big city (not even a big coastal one, but Memphis) next to a strongly artsy-bohemian area of town; and discovered that just because they thought different from me didn't mean they were lacking in common sense. It's also where I first encountered a saying attributed to Einstein (but most likely a paraphrase of him by a Life Magazine editor -- "Common sense is the accumulation in ones mind of unquestioned assumptions and prejudices before the age of 18". I discovered considerable merit in it, for not everybody has the same kinds of experiences and mental functionings, which means there's a wide diversity of thought. Some old-fashioned thoughts simply do not stand the test of further scrutiny and get discarded in favor of more "liberal" thoughts. How's that for evolution favoring liberalism :P

Old 07-22-2018, 04:26 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,803,645 times
I agree. People like to point out the growth and prosperity in places like Texas, Georgia, and North Carolina but you can't talk about red states without discussing Oklahoma, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, and West Virginia. Those states are the reddest, most conservative states in the country and are also probably the worst states to live in.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:28 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,377,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
And before I moved out of largely rural and ultra-conservative north Louisiana, I used to think that "liberal Democrat" and "common sense" didn't belong in the same sentence. Then I went to college in a big city (not even a big coastal one, but Memphis) next to a strongly artsy-bohemian area of town; and discovered that just because they thought different from me didn't mean they were lacking in common sense. It's also where I first encountered a saying attributed to Einstein (but most likely a paraphrase of him by a Life Magazine editor -- "Common sense is the accumulation in ones mind of unquestioned assumptions and prejudices before the age of 18". I discovered considerable merit in it, for not everybody has the same kinds of experiences and mental functionings, which means there's a wide diversity of thought. Some old-fashioned thoughts simply do not stand the test of further scrutiny and get discarded in favor of more "liberal" thoughts. How's that for evolution favoring liberalism :P
I'm sorry for your experience, but that isn't mine. I was a liberal from an early age, but, having lived all over the country and world became a conservative. My gay Korean husband and I moved back to the US and we work hard. We have become very successful and very much dislike the Democrat message of victims. We will continue to be Republicans.

Old 07-22-2018, 04:29 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,600,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree. People like to point out the growth and prosperity in places like Texas, Georgia, and North Carolina but you can't talk about red states without discussing Oklahoma, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, and West Virginia. Those states are the reddest, most conservative states in the country and are also probably the worst states to live in.

And you can't talk about the blue places unless you talk about the hell holes of Baltimore, Detroit, STL, Oakland, South Chicago, South LA etc. These places are absolutely some of the worst places on the planet to live. I'll take any of those Southern states over those Democrat plantations.

Care to talk more?

Old 07-22-2018, 04:29 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Well. But they don't want to talk about those! Conservatives will stick to discussing NC and Texas, thank you very much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies