Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:26 AM

46,814 posts, read 25,726,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Exactly,
She could have a family member associated with Columbia’s drug cartels, and of course you wouldn’t know that —she may even not know about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Nothing bad ever comes out of Columbia. I can’t imagine what the US Customs is concerned about.
"Columbia"?

Anyway, the people who've been screaming the loudest that "people should just stand in line and immigrate legally" are now going for legal immigrants as well, this is not a surprise.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/changes...s-deportation/

Trump's administration has changed USCIS policy so that any error or missing document can put an applicant directly in line for removal. Even for those who've been in the US, perfectly legally, for years and who are simply renewing. Used to be that errors or omissions would lead to an application being held back and investigated - now, at the discretion of a USCIS agent, it can mean deportation.

"OK", you say, "don't make mistakes!" Well, duh. But as anyone who's been through the grind will know, a typical straightforward case will call for 80-120 pages of forms and supporting documents. (I just found my own in the basement. Literally well over two inches of paper, and my case was Mr. Norman Normal, a fiance from Europe.) The USCIS employees are as helpful as a chocolate teapot - people are advised to print out the relevant directives & findings, and be ready to present them in meetings. ("Sir, I think you'll find that according to this latest directive, a translation no longer needs to be by a certified interpreter, as long as it's accompanied by 2 signatures of US residents who will vouch for its accuracy.")

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; 07-23-2018 at 11:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 11:31 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,728,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Protect...... and secure............ the borders
It can't be that hard.
Secure from what, a Stanford professor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's rather strange that a U.S. citizen would be detained for 6 hours without reasonable cause. I haven't heard that before.

Would like to know the details.
Me too, and once I find them out, I will post them here. Considering that she's in her 60s and will be pensioned soon from her career at Stanford, I'm not expecting that she was doing anything remotely suspicious, but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Exactly,
She could have a family member associated with Columbia’s drug cartels, and of course you wouldn’t know that —she may even not know about it.
But if that's the case, why was she not detained coming back from Colombia last year?

In any case, you guys are right, I don't know details yet, so I shouldn't have started the thread and jumped to conclusions. Let's just wait to see what the details are, and then we can discuss them.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:35 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,728,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
which makes your thread pointless.
I agree with this and have acknowledged my error.
Quote:
Why don't you get the details in full, from both sides?
Well, you know as well as me I won't be able to get it from U.S. immigration. I can get her side of the story, that's the best I can do. And I will. Once I have those details, I'll post them here.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:37 AM

27,292 posts, read 28,366,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
ICE can detain any US citizen indefinitely for no reason. It happens all the time - that's partially why sanctuary cities exist.
So, you're saying that there are U.S. citizens who can only live in sanctuary cities?

Old 07-23-2018, 11:45 AM

46,814 posts, read 25,726,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I'm totally SHOCKED that claiming US Citizenship without papers to prove it is not good enough for Immigration. SHOCKED, SHOCKED - I tell you.
We are at the "Your papers, please" stage already?

Old 07-23-2018, 11:48 AM

35,972 posts, read 30,507,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I'm going to express my frustration and anger with the direction things are taking. We have a friend who is Colombian, this lady is a naturalized U.S. citizen, she is in her 60s and has been working her entire career at Stanford University. She travels internationally for work occasionally, and she also goes back to visit her family in Colombia once a year.

She just got back from such a visit, flying into San Francisco, and apparently had a very bad experience with immigration. They took her passports and detained her for six hours before allowing her in. I'm not sure about the details, but according to her nothing like this had ever happened to her before and apparently there was no reason for it other than to harass people coming from South America.

This morning she's back at work at Stanford. So, what was the point of immigration giving her a hard time yesterday?

I have to say I'm very disappointed. I'm not alone in thinking that we're headed in a bad direction. This isn't the U.S. we grew up with, is it? I remember growing up, and although there was a lot of racism and issues, there was also a very open-minded melting-pot mentality. We were diversified and we embraced it.

That was then. This is now.
Is they, ICE or airport security?

Old 07-23-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
We are at the "Your papers, please" stage already?
You have needed papers to enter or leave the United States for several decades. Legally, that is.

So yes, you better show your papers at immigrations.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:21 PM

62,474 posts, read 28,711,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
I'm going to express my frustration and anger with the direction things are taking. We have a friend who is Colombian, this lady is a naturalized U.S. citizen, she is in her 60s and has been working her entire career at Stanford University. She travels internationally for work occasionally, and she also goes back to visit her family in Colombia once a year.

She just got back from such a visit, flying into San Francisco, and apparently had a very bad experience with immigration. They took her passports and detained her for six hours before allowing her in. I'm not sure about the details, but according to her nothing like this had ever happened to her before and apparently there was no reason for it other than to harass people coming from South America.

This morning she's back at work at Stanford. So, what was the point of immigration giving her a hard time yesterday?

I have to say I'm very disappointed. I'm not alone in thinking that we're headed in a bad direction. This isn't the U.S. we grew up with, is it? I remember growing up, and although there was a lot of racism and issues, there was also a very open-minded melting-pot mentality. We were diversified and we embraced it.

That was then. This is now.

We'd have to know the details of why this happened not just your claims that she was simply detained because she was from Columbian roots. The unfortunate thing for Latinos today is that there are so many here illegally that it they all can become suspect under certain circumstances. One thing that would help is the Latino community taking a stand against illegal immigration and be more verbal about it but I doubt that most will as their tribal mentality trumps our immigration laws,

Old 07-23-2018, 02:37 PM

4,541 posts, read 2,756,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, you're saying that there are U.S. citizens who can only live in sanctuary cities?
No, I'm saying it's one of the reasons local law enforcement refuses to work with ICE in sanctuary cities. The amount of legal immigrants detained is unacceptable.

ICE held an American man in custody for 1,273 days. He

Old 07-23-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
No, I'm saying it's one of the reasons local law enforcement refuses to work with ICE in sanctuary cities. The amount of legal immigrants detained is unacceptable.

ICE held an American man in custody for 1,273 days. He
You know, it's not a good idea for an immigrant to come to the United States and then get put in prison on a drug charge.

That is bound to raise a red flag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies