Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 02:11 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,704,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
The Federal Goverment is allowed, by the Constitution, to regulate interstate commerce. Vehicles, produced in various states, and sold in other states, are "interstate commerce". California is, de facto, forcing other states to bear the costs of California's regulations. Congress is regulating that. Congress passed laws for that - one of them is the Clean Air Act, that forbids California from setting tougher standards. California was granted a waiver to be excluded from the law, under Obama administration. That waiver is going to be revoked and the law will apply.

Hope this made the situation clearer for you.
It's very clear. And since Republicans want to push education to the states, are they going to let that go? Because textbooks are written nationwide and just because one state wants say Bible vs. Darwin doesn't mean I should have to pay for that. Nor should I have to deal with hiring people from those states. Truth is, I don't care if they move education to the states. Odds are, blue states just won't hire from red states because they won't be able to trust their pedigrees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Trump and gang are doing a super job of turning America into a third world country.
Stunning isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 02:13 PM

20,457 posts, read 12,375,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I reported your post.
ok. good for you.

I think what I said was accurate. I also did not intend it as any kind of insult. Rather a clarification of the position.

you are arguing for the states strangling regulations. because you aren't interested in what you want, rather you are interested in regulating the actions of others. I mean seriously, why is it wrong to point that out? to make that clear as a point of reference to understand where people come from.

Your comment out uneducated Trump land was a personal attack. vastly more than my comment that simply sought to clarify where you are coming from.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Trump and gang are doing a super job of turning America into a third world country.
that is absolutely correct! So long as what you mean by "third world" is rising employment rates, historically low minority unemployment rates, rising incomes, and a rising manufacturing sector in the US.

I mean yea, if that's what you mean then sure Trump and gang are doing a super job! (I will also get to keep more of my hard earned money this year thanks to Trump and gang)

Old 07-23-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
LOL.

I actually can make a clear case that California's law impacting car emissions is directly impacted by the constitutional requirement that inter state commerce be the purview of the Federal Government.

so..... both seem to have some constitutional bases. (we could debate both these points)

I think its a wonderful comparison because at the end of the day no liberal believes in any version of states rights.
WRONG. I'm very liberal and I'm all for state's rights. Marijuana has brought $319 million in tax revenue in one year to our state. Think I want it to be legalized nationally? No way, come pay for it in our state. Abortion will be legal in our state after Roe V. Wade is overturned so we won't be paying for desperately poor mothers and babies that can't afford them. We care about our water, our air and I fully support state's right in setting car emissions standards. We care about education and the lower the standards red states make their education, the happier we are not to hire from them. I fully support Obamacare by state as long as we can set a ten year qualification period for red state refugees so they can't game our health coverage.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:16 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,451,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
Simple. Because CA, using its size, is de facto imposing automotive standards on the rest of the country. Which is about as far away from federalism as it gets.
California is not imposing anything on the rest of the country.

The auto manufacturers are perfectly free to build autos to lower standards for the rest of the country.

You would probably find that in many cases the cost of the more polluting vehicles would not be any cheaper, because the manufacturers would be maintaining duplicate production lines.

In fact, simply not selling cars in California could raise the cost of vehicles by reducing the economies of scale. For that reason we should want them to sell cars in California.

The most cost efficient policy would probably be just make all vehicles to the higher standards, which is apparently what the auto manufacturers have been doing all along. It's sensible.

People on this forum are howling at the moon.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:17 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,134,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
It's about time. The Federal standards are good enough. We can't have 50 states imposing 50 standards on manufacturers.
I thought libertarians were all for states' rights? Are you saying you want a more powerful federal government?

Old 07-23-2018, 02:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Yes. And this is very consistent with that. Let states regulate their own environmental standards. Then when Trump country visits the blue states, they will get to see what the earth is supposed to be like. They are what WALL-E was made for. But I don't care about red states, they can do what they want to themselves.
Actually its just the opposite. You were against individual states having any control over federal environmental regulations. Now you are for CA having control over federal environmental regulations.

No one cares about your seething hatred for the President or the states that overwhelmingly voted for him either.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
WRONG. I'm very liberal and I'm all for state's rights. Marijuana has brought $319 million in tax revenue in one year to our state. Think I want it to be legalized nationally? No way, come pay for it in our state. Abortion will be legal in our state after Roe V. Wade is overturned so we won't be paying for desperately poor mothers and babies that can't afford them. We care about our water, our air and I fully support state's right in setting car emissions standards. We care about education and the lower the standards red states make their education, the happier we are not to hire from them. I fully support Obamacare by state as long as we can set a ten year qualification period for red state refugees so they can't game our health coverage.

Seacove, seriously that is a nice list but you know full well that this discussion about California emissions standards is all about controlling the actions of others. There isn't any way around it. That's the point here.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:19 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,034,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Id rather people not get asthma or lung cancer thanks.
What about the cheeeeeeeeeldren? You didn't even mention them.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I thought libertarians were all for states' rights? Are you saying you want a more powerful federal government?
They USED to be about state's rights. With Republicans controlling every branch of federal government, they suddenly are all about federal control. Notice the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies