Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 01:52 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,119,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Because I think that in order to remain profitable, manufacturers will make many modifications to ALL cars so that they can be sold in or out of California. I don't think you can segregate all the costs of California's stupid overreach, I think many of those costs, by necessity, end up bleeding into cars that are sold in all 50 states.

If that is not true, and California's citizens are paying 100% of the freight, than I am fine with it. But then, why would Trump be bothering with this? Car manufacturers are probably incurring great expense to manufacture cars that will survive California regulatory overreach. And those costs are probably being passed along to the rest of the country.

In which case, taxation without representation. Repeal it.
Id rather people not get asthma or lung cancer thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 01:54 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Why not? Why shouldn't a state be able to set their own clean air standards? Why do Republicans think education standards can be by state but environmental standards federal? Why can't a state choose to keep their environment clean?

Here's an example. If red states want to stop using seat belts, I would say fine, don't wear them. That's their choice.
Weren't you just complaining about the bill introduced to let states have flexibility within federal regulations in setting their own environmental standards on coal ash waste?

Old 07-23-2018, 01:56 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
And many of us feel the same way about Trump country. California is the sixth largest economy in the world. Trump country does not have the education to compete because they think education is for elitists. I get it, Trump country detests the environment. They want black coal burning 24/7 and if they could end the EPA tomorrow, they would. But half the country actually does care about the air they breathe and they do want to be able to set the emissions standards since cars are such an important component in controlling air pollution.
well at least we have established a bases for understanding one another's feelings.

By the way while Trump Country is too uneducated to... whatever whatever, Texas (Trump Country) is the tenth largest economy in the world so as bad as we suck we are doing pretty well.

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
The hypocrisy is historic...and too deep to even debate or counter....

Suffice it to say every single major platform that the modern right had hung their hat on was instantly shoved aside as soon as they had power. One could never have imagined that we'd been to vastly increase the debt and deficit for "tax cuts"....when the economy is the "best ever". The Tea Party - which had suddenly appeared after the same party sunk the economy - disappeared overnight. They had their rubes believing that we could not borrow ONE MORE CENT...and even shut down the government to prove their point. Then they cheer 1.5 TRILLION which has to be paid back by their grandchildren?

States Rights is a code word for Jim Crow. But it can be expanded to include "I can pollute the air, water and land in my state if I want to".....and, yes, the current admin believes in that. It also covers all the voter roll manipulation and other such shenanigans.

Yes, we are all hypocrites but this one is unprecedented. Meanwhile, vastly more is being spent for war and the security state...we are bombing or supplying weapons all over the world (plenty of them to Muslim Fundies like the Saudis), while we break valid treaties with Iran. The cozying up to Russia and Kim and Duerte...this I never thought I would live to see.

Divide and Separate is the name of this game. A house divided against itself cannot stand.

501 posts, read 303,745 times
Quote:
Why not? Why shouldn't a state be able to set their own clean air standards?
Simple. Because CA, using its size, is de facto imposing automotive standards on the rest of the country. Which is about as far away from federalism as it gets.

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Weren't you just complaining about the bill introduced to let states have flexibility within federal regulations in setting their own environmental standards on coal ash waste?
Yes. And this is very consistent with that. Let states regulate their own environmental standards. Then when Trump country visits the blue states, they will get to see what the earth is supposed to be like. They are what WALL-E was made for. But I don't care about red states, they can do what they want to themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
Simple. Because CA, using its size, is de facto imposing automotive standards on the rest of the country. Which is about as far away from federalism as it gets.
So a state should be punished for being successful? They are the sixth largest economy in the world. There is ZERO reason they should no be able to set the emissions standards on cars bought and sold in that state.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:57 PM

4,258 posts, read 3,178,135 times
Quote:
And many of us feel the same way about Trump country. California is the sixth largest economy in the world. Trump country does not have the education to compete because they think education is for elitists. I get it, Trump country detests the environment. They want black coal burning 24/7 and if they could end the EPA tomorrow, they would. But half the country actually does care about the air they breathe and they do want to be able to set the emissions standards since cars are such an important component in controlling air pollution.
Trump country doesn't have the education to complete???? Seriously? Contrary to what you apparently believe, nobody, Democrat or Republican, wants air or water that is unsafe. End the EPA...probably not but rein it in for certain. By the way, where does California air come from?

Old 07-23-2018, 01:59 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
well at least we have established a bases for understanding one another's feelings.

By the way while Trump Country is too uneducated to... whatever whatever, Texas (Trump Country) is the tenth largest economy in the world so as bad as we suck we are doing pretty well.
How much of that is based on resource extraction and polluting industries? The Saudis and Russians are doing quite well too....but that is not the future or even the present. Resource extraction based economies and societies generally follow a certain pattern....not one most Americans (unless you get the $$ from it) would approve of.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:01 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

So they have a lot of work to do to get where California is. And the largest contributor to growth in my state of Washington besides California is Texas. Those Texans skip all the other states in between and leapfrog to our state, much to our disgust. That is a different issue. Let states set their own environmental standards and car manufacturers can decide if the market is worth it. That's called capitalism, which Republicans used to support.

Old 07-23-2018, 02:04 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,390,108 times
Quote:
So they have a lot of work to do to get where California is. And the largest contributor to growth in my state of Washington besides California is Texas. Those Texans skip all the other states in between and leapfrog to our state, much to our disgust. That is a different issue. Let states set their own environmental standards and car manufacturers can decide if the market is worth it. That's called capitalism, which Republicans used to support.
so can we let states set their own Abortion laws too? or does 'States rights' only extend where you want it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies