Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 10:57 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,780,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
That has been answered several times in this thread:

Money.

Regardless, guns and marijuana have nothing to do with each other.
I only brought guns up because of the false comparison Retroit made between marijuana and cigarettes. I think there's a lot of cognitive dissonance on the right when it comes to their views on guns and their support of the war on drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 11:01 AM

68,300 posts, read 54,222,946 times
Would it be a good idea for Democrats to officially embrace marijuana legalization?

It would be a GREAT idea for both parties to embrace marijuana legalization and stop the flow of foolish amounts of $$$ we spend trying to keep people from it.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:04 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,326,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I only brought guns up because of the false comparison Retroit made between marijuana and cigarettes. I think there's a lot of cognitive dissonance on the right when it comes to their views on guns and their support of the war on drugs.
You're probably right. I just have to keep stressing, to the point of being annoying, that money is the root cause of much of that cognitive dissonance.

Corruption makes our government look like it is run by complete buffoons, but most are not buffoons. They are just career politicians who are good at their craft.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:06 AM

45,119 posts, read 60,226,663 times
Some of you won't like this, don't care, but comparing marijuana and cigarettes is disingenuous at best.

Setting aside the health risks of smoking anything, one alters ones perceptions and behavior while the other one doesn't.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I hope they do. It would give me another reason to disagree with them.

Actually, I only have a problem with marijuana smoke. I don’t have a problem with the extracts (THC and CBD). I can’t figure out why libs oppose cigarettes but support marijuana.

Specific
examples?

Perhaps you can't figure out why you imagine they do?

643 posts, read 327,258 times
STATE issue is what it should be.

37,769 posts, read 40,907,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Public opinion is there. This is something people really want, especially those on he left side of the political spectrum. 61% of Americans favor recreational legalization and over 90% favor at least medical. The only demographic in America still overwhelmingly opposed to legalizing marijuana is white evangelicals.

However, establishment Democrats have been slow to board the legal marijuana train or have been at best passively supportive on the subject eg. Obama. Republicans on the other hand will continue to fight legalization tooth and nail because of the religious right as well as big money from special interests like Big Pharma and private prisons. I think the time is right that if the Democrats were to fully embrace legalization and push for it, it would be politically beneficial to them. What do you think?
As long as every No Smoking law (federal, state, county and city) applies plus no dope smoking in attached domiciles (town houses, apartments, etc.) because the smoke and smell comes through the walls.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:19 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,326,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some of you won't like this, don't care, but comparing marijuana and cigarettes is disingenuous at best.

Setting aside the health risks of smoking anything, one alters ones perceptions and behavior while the other one doesn't.
And this altering you refer to is worth ruining thousands of lives every year? And putting law enforcement officers in harm's way in order to try to fight it?

You sound rather inexperienced, or it is possible you have an agenda. Either way, it makes me wonder if you even realize that the reason cannabis was made illegal in the first place has nothing to do with the "altering" of the humans who consume it?

Old 07-24-2018, 11:24 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,780,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
You're probably right. I just have to keep stressing, to the point of being annoying, that money is the root cause of much of that cognitive dissonance.
I agree money is behind it. However, most conservative voters could care less about the profits of Big Pharma or the private prison industry. They are convinced however that keeping marijuana illegal is to protect the children and protect the moral fabric of society. Most religious conservatives still buy into Reefer Madness and "gateway drug" anti-cannabis propaganda.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchisedec View Post
STATE issue is what it should be.

How many states will give it serious thought while it's still Federal Schedule 1, no different than heroin in the Fed's inane way of classifying drugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies