Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 01:01 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,297,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
That has been answered several times in this thread:

Money.

Regardless, guns and marijuana have nothing to do with each other.
Yes, they do. if you use, even in a legal state, it is unlawful for you to own a gun. So apparently the Drug War supersedes the 2nd amendment. But that's a topic for another time.

Back on topic, the Democratic Platform in the last election contained some vague reference to marijuana, but it was written by a committee, so it could be interpreted to say almost anything the reader wants it to say.

"The Democratic Party endorsed a "reasoned pathway to future legalization" of marijuana and called for the drug to be downgraded in the Controlled Substances Act"

"On every background check completed at a federal firearms dealer, prospective buyers are explicitly asked if they are a “user of, or addicted to” the substance. A “yes” answer means the gun seller can’t go through with the transaction. A “no” answer — if false — is a crime punishable as a felony, with up to five years in prison."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 01:04 PM

12,268 posts, read 6,440,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Of course they should and then pass it out free to gain more sheeple voters. Yep, get 'em stoned and stupid and put a lever in their hands...
Would it work as well as the firearms thing works for the GOP? I don`t think so.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:08 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,668,264 times
Quote:
Yeah, just like the lottery money did. Man are people gullible...
Who cares? We're making a lot of tax money on marijuana. If it bought us another beautiful ferry I would be fine with it. I see no downside to my state getting $319 million in marijuana tax revenue in a single year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE5q77x6IZI

Old 07-24-2018, 09:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
I have everything invested: My life, my livelihood, and my freedom. I moved from Oklahoma to Colorado 5 years ago so that I didn't have to live in the closet anymore.

Or did you mean money wise? In that case I have nothing invested. I grow my own.

The only way I could possibly get you to relate, and even then it's a long shot, is if you were a long-term coffee lover, to the point of getting a lot of enjoyment out of roasting your own beans, but having to do it incognito for decades because of the risk of being federally prosecuted, because 81 years ago it was prohibited because caffeine is so addictive.

Then, of course, enduring the public stigma of being a caffeine user after the release of "Caffeine Madness"....
You mean like alcohol currently is, that kind of prohibited? <bold> As I've said to you and numerous times on the other numerous threads on C-D I've got no issue with MEDICAL MJ, for people who are in REAL NEED and not the phony B.S. medical cards possessed by many nowadays as a backdoor legalization. I fully believe it has medicinal value, let me say again MEDICINAL value.

Where we differ is I don't believe we need to add another mind altering drug to the masses, we've got enough people screwed up,lazy and unmotivated with the drugs/alcohol that are legally available now,why the hell add more.
The ONLY reason pot is being made semi-legal in some states now is one reason and one reason only, $$$$$$$$, a simple revenue stream that they KNOW the potheads won't complain about. They don't give a rats butt about anything other than that no matter what the consequences may be down the road. You do realize the vast majority of pot "dispensaries" are owned by investment firms and millionaires right? Why do you think that is?
Hell, even the people who long ago started this whole MMJ legalization push were pushed out of business by corporations.

I look at recreational pot just like I do at the illegal distillation of spirits, you want to do so recreationally then you takes your chances with the "revenuers"...

Old 07-24-2018, 09:04 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,668,264 times
Quote:
You mean like alcohol currently is, that kind of prohibited? <bold> As I've said to you and numerous times on the other numerous threads on C-D I've got no issue with MEDICAL MJ, for people who are in REAL NEED and not the phony B.S. medical cards possessed by many nowadays as a backdoor legalization. I fully believe it has medicinal value, let me say again MEDICINAL value.

Where we differ is I don't believe we need to add another mind altering drug to the masses, we've got enough people screwed up,lazy and unmotivated with the drugs/alcohol that are legally available now,why the hell add more.
The ONLY reason pot is being made semi-legal in some states now is one reason and one reason only, $$$$$$$$, a simple revenue stream that they KNOW the potheads won't complain about. They don't give a rats butt about anything other than that no matter what the consequences may be down the road. You do realize the vast majority of pot "dispensaries" are owned by investment firms and millionaires right? Why do you think that is?
Hell, even the people who long ago started this whole MMJ legalization push were pushed out of business by corporations.

I look at recreational pot just like I do at the illegal distillation of spirits, you want to do so recreationally then you takes your chances with the "revenuers"...
Republican John Boehner has joined a marijuana firm.

Former House Speaker John Boehner joins marijuana company: 'My thinking on cannabis has evolved'
Former House Speaker John Boehner is joining the board of directors of a marijuana-focused holdings company.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/john...s-evovled.html

Old 07-24-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Republican John Boehner has joined a marijuana firm.

Former House Speaker John Boehner joins marijuana company: 'My thinking on cannabis has evolved'
Former House Speaker John Boehner is joining the board of directors of a marijuana-focused holdings company.
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/11/john...s-evovled.html
Yeah, he realized he was missing out on a potential butt load of money. Man what fools people can be...

Old 07-24-2018, 09:11 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,778,210 times
Quote:

This right here sums up my biggest problem with the GOP. Republicans want to control people's vices and push social conformity. It's no different than the SJW Democrats who want to force political correctness. Republicans want to enforce "Biblical correctness." I don't want either enforced to be honest. Marijuana hurts nobody and is less dangerous than many substances that are already legal.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:29 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,326,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This right here sums up my biggest problem with the GOP. Republicans want to control people's vices and push social conformity. It's no different than the SJW Democrats who want to force political correctness. Republicans want to enforce "Biblical correctness." I don't want either enforced to be honest. Marijuana hurts nobody and is less dangerous than many substances that are already legal.
Not only that, he is ABSOLUTELY WRONG.

He has a very one-dimensional view of cannabis and its effects on humans, like most who have little experience with the plant.

He completely ignores the fact that it has been in use by millions for the last 50 years, with BY FAR the worst consequence being the carnage done to the lives of the people unlucky enough to get caught with some.

He also has that typical stereotype irrevocably etched in his mind that using it produces only "screwed up,lazy and unmotivated" effects on those who use it. Which is ABSOLUTE, COMPLETE, NONSENSE!

I wish I could shout that part of my message even louder.

The damage being done by prohibition far outweighs any damage the plant could ever cause, another fact which just bounces off of prohibitionists.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:29 PM

24,492 posts, read 33,228,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Pot is depraved? Interesting idea. It's been used for thousands of years, by all kinds of people. I don't think it's a Democratic vs Republican issue. Alcohol is poison, pot is not poison.
I don't consume either of those. Have no rational reason to.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
They said the same thing about Cigarettes years ago as well. How'd that turn out for everyone except the Tobacco companies and their investors? BTW, not a member of the "GOP" or any of the other blather you wrote. You want to play with your vices? You take the risks that come along with them be they physical, legal or otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies