Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 11:29 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

I think we already have such a law.

President Trump and his family are not "lining their pockets" via the White House anyway. If you think they are, please explain how.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 11:31 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
I don't think they need a bill and I'm not a Trump supporter.

However, I do feel that our government should enforce current ethics violations that Trump engages in - most notably him using his family/his own hotels and paying for lodging of himself and his entourage on his golf trips to Florida. That is a blatant violation of ethics laws/codes whereas government officials are not supposed to enrich themselves and/or their families with public money, yet for some reason the GOP lets him continue to do this.

I worked many years consulting with federal agencies and saw people fired and imprisoned for way less than what he has done in regards to him staying at his hotel in Florida. He could easily golf and stay at a hotel not affiliated with himself or his family in Florida (note we have to pay for his secret service and/or other staff members to accompany him).

Old 07-24-2018, 11:31 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Trump has made $60 million off charging his campaign and the RNC for the use of Trump-owned properties. He's profiting from people booking events at Trump-owned properties to curry favor. Ivanka is getting personally favorable trade deals and licensing arrangements. Jared has made hundreds of millions while serving in the White House.

Stop with the BS claims that Trump and his family are losing money.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:33 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
http://thehill.com/homenews/news/398...ency-to-enrich

I can't wait to see the arguments on how this perfectly reasonable standard is a problem. But of course, Trump supporters will consider it a problem if Trump and his family can't continue to line their own pockets via the White House

His shady dealings and those of his family are increasingly annoying to me....I need a drink!

but truthfully, rarely ever have adult beverages.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:35 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I doubt the Republicans will allow a vote on this.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:40 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
liberals will never pass the 'future lobbying'... that is their bread and butter
It is all of Congress' bread and butter. Corporate America is the "deep state".

Old 07-24-2018, 11:41 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark59 View Post
Some facts-

Trump has lost one bilion dollars of his wealth since taking office. He DONATES his entire salary.

Obama went from a new worth of 2.5 million before office and left worth over 30 million on a 400k salary. So who used and abused the office?

Clinton went into office worth a few million and when Hillary left SOS they were worth 300 million plus so who abused it?

I agree with the bold, however none of them had businesses/properties whereas they and their staff stayed and paid hotels, fees, meals, transportation costs, etc., to their own businesses (or those owned by their spouses and/or children). Trump does violate ethics laws by doing this and it is weird so many conservatives overlook it as if Obama or Clinton did it, I think you'd have a problem with its.

He's spent more of our public money than his entire salary by staying at his own hotel/resort and paying his own hotel/resort for his staff staying there with him and feeding them his food. His salary is nothing compared to the cost of his vacations during his first year in office. And note, I'm hoping he's not still doing this. I don't really pay much attention to the news anymore as they focus way too much on stupid ish he says and not items of importance to me. I do feel they pick apart way too much of what he says but that first year, he committed a sh*tload of ethics violations staying at his hotel with his staff (hosting the Chinese and their entourage, etc.).

I've actually known people get fired and imprisoned for doing this sort of thing and if I had even eating a meal at a cousins restaurant for a business meeting, I could have been fired due to ethics laws. It's interesting to me how he is so above the law in this respect. Ethics laws do apply to the executive office. IMO the GOP are just some punks basically and are afraid to do to Trump what they'd do to Clinton in the same situation.

I also agree with another poster, we don't know if he has lost any wealth as a result of his being in office. He also transferred a lot of his interest in his businesses/properties to his children - something that can easily be undone when he is out of office so not really a loss.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:42 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,741,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Trump has made $60 million off charging his campaign and the RNC for the use of Trump-owned properties. He's profiting from people booking events at Trump-owned properties to curry favor. Ivanka is getting personally favorable trade deals and licensing arrangements. Jared has made hundreds of millions while serving in the White House.

Stop with the BS claims that Trump and his family are losing money.
emm74 nothing anyone can say will make Trumps cult members change their minds. Unfortunate because this country will be paying for years.
The party of deficit hawks has caved to their leader.
He said he was going to drain the swamp and we have people doing stupid things with taxpayer money. The guy just lies then relies to cover his first lie and keeps them so confused they don't know what to think.
If he tells them he is losing money they believe him.
Trump is for Trump only but, his technique is genius, I give him that.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:43 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
This is political grandstanding and would prevent not just Trump but others like Kerry (Heinz global brand) from becoming President.

Chelsea Clinton in particular would run afoul of this law if she chose to run in the future so let that sink in as well. (Husband runs hedgefund, parents give speeches, whole family writes books...imagine Chinese book censor giving it the green light? Whooops violation of the law. )

Sounds good on the surface but it's a pretty horrible proposal.
Except of course that John Kerry doesn't own the Heinz company. Even his wife doesn't own the Heinz company.

But why let a little thing like facts get in the way, right?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/heinz-sight/

Old 07-24-2018, 11:43 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
emm74 nothing anyone can say will make Trumps cult members change their minds. Unfortunate because this country will be paying for years.
The party of deficit hawks has caved to their leader.
He said he was going to drain the swamp and we have people doing stupid things with taxpayer money. The guy just lies then relies to cover his first lie and keeps them so confused they don't know what to think.
If he tells them he is losing money they believe him.
Trump is for Trump only but, his technique is genius, I give him that.
Not only is he not draining the swamp, he is polluting it even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies