Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 05:39 PM

5,068 posts, read 2,278,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terr View Post
Ok seriously, I didn't post the OP in order to discuss police shootings. Apples and oranges.

My question is, does that decision mean that people in the 9th Circuit area (California, Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington among others) now can "open carry" with no restrictions?
Not if Kamala Harris gets her grubby little hands on this and forces an en banc hearing, with no jurisdiction, just like she did in the Peruta ruling. Then the full panel will reverse the decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 05:42 PM

5,068 posts, read 2,278,237 times
Quote:
So - literally - any gun owner can legally walk around (in public places of course) in CA with a non-concealed weapon tomorrow?
Without looking closer, my answer would be 'no'. We had a similar legal finding in NY, but it only applied to the district where the plaintiff filed the suit. In the NY case, the ruling only applied to a single county. I'll look into this one some more later.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:45 PM

501 posts, read 303,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Okay then, "own" or be in "possession of" or "have access to" or "a minor, who is a party of interest in personal property with revocable access privileges" or some other semantical phrase of a substantially similar nature. I don't have a problem with changing that phraseology because it will result in the same point.

Which is there are definitely some sick fringe people on here who don't think there should be age restrictions at all concerning firearm access. See Post 74 for one example:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...own-gun-8.html

That's one example of a gun advocate saying anything goes, and a cursory review of gun related threads on this forum will reveal similar fringe viewpoints.
21 or 18 is not a toddler. And yes, there is a cut-off age for adulthood. Once you're an adult, you should be able to own a gun. But the cut-off age should be uniform. At 18, you're your own man/woman, should be able to vote, drink, make your own decisions and yes, own a gun.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:46 PM

501 posts, read 303,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Without looking closer, my answer would be 'no'. We had a similar legal finding in NY, but it only applied to the district where the plaintiff filed the suit. In the NY case, the ruling only applied to a single county. I'll look into this one some more later.
But this is the 9th Circuit Court. It applies to California, Nevada, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington etc.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:50 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
This ruling applies to every state that is covered by the jurisdiction of the 9th Circuit (CA, OR, AZ, WA, AK, and possibly one or two others I think), which is opposed to the impact of the ruling if it came from a district court. Now, I'm not exactly sure what the ruling entails as far as specific details go, so I don't know exactly what these states would be required to authorized. Of course, this only holds true if the ruling isn't overturned.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:11 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Does this make "open carry" the law of the land? (Well, as much of the land as covered by the 9th)?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN1KE28C

(Reuters) - A federal appeals court ruled on Tuesday that the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment protects a right to openly carry a gun in public for self-defense, rejecting a claim by Hawaii officials that the right only applies to guns kept at home.
It should. I don’t understand the big deal.

If someone is stupid enough to walk around with a weapon openly why not. That fool will be just another moving target.

Consider this:

Four hoodlums see someone with a weapon. Only one of the hoodlums has a weapon. That’s enough to jump the “good” (but stupid) guy with a weapon. They’ll beat him up and take his gun. Now you have four hoodlums with 2 guns.

Whatever.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:16 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post

If someone is stupid enough to walk around with a weapon openly why not. That fool will be just another moving target.

Consider this:

Four hoodlums see someone with a weapon. Only one of the hoodlums has a weapon. That’s enough to jump the “good” (but stupid) guy with a weapon. They’ll beat him up and take his gun. Now you have four hoodlums with 2 guns.

Whatever.
Whatever. You can "what if" any kind of fantasy you want. How often do you see that happening to police? They walk around openly carrying every day.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Rarely does the Supreme Court take a case unless there is a counter ruling. Will another court rule otherwise? The ruling stays in place unless the Supreme Court puts a hold on it.
What part of "US.appeals Court ruled". Says it has not been heard in litigation already?

Old 07-24-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
So - literally - any gun owner can legally walk around (in public places of course) in CA with a non-concealed weapon tomorrow?
Only if you are real daring and it is a good day to die!

Old 07-24-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post

Consider this:

Whatever.

Everyone that carries is a threat to you!
As it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies