Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 08:51 PM

1,329 posts, read 831,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Oh here we go with trying to use religion. Jesus teaches to follow the law of the land. Are people who come here illegally following the law of our land?

Romans 13 Living Bible (TLB)
13 Obey the government, for God is the one who has put it there. There is no government anywhere that God has not placed in power. 2 So those who refuse to obey the laws of the land are refusing to obey God, and punishment will follow. 3 For the policeman does not frighten people who are doing right; but those doing evil will always fear him. So if you don’t want to be afraid, keep the laws and you will get along well. 4 The policeman is sent by God to help you. But if you are doing something wrong, of course you should be afraid, for he will have you punished. He is sent by God for that very purpose. 5 Obey the laws, then, for two reasons: first, to keep from being punished, and second, just because you know you should.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...13&version=TLB

The Bible also speaks about justice for the stranger and the foreigner.

My religion (Evangelical Lutheran) does not interpret Romans 13 as to say that just because there is a law, that it is just. Christians are not obligated to follow unjust laws. No human being is. If somebody is fleeing for their life from violence or extreme poverty, then there is a duty to help them.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:07 PM

23,451 posts, read 12,487,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
I repped you because you asked a legit question. A simple question that all of us non-Trumpers on this board wonder about on a daily basis. All the conservatives who are attacking you are taking a cue from their cult leader. They will bully you until you become too demoralized to post again and question yourself. Keep it up, you have others on your side here.
Taking a cue? What reason did you use for why people were not being pro-illegal before Trump had even announced his run? There were plenty of posts about illegals back then...there's even a whole sub forum about illegals. You are just using Trump as an excuse to "bully" others.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:15 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Taking a cue? What reason did you use for why people were not being pro-illegal before Trump had even announced his run? There were plenty of posts about illegals back then...there's even a whole sub forum about illegals. You are just using Trump as an excuse to "bully" others.
I've never been pro-illegals and I'm a Democrat.

It's offensive of that poster to assume we all have to go along with the party line and can't evaluate things for ourselves.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:17 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
The Bible also speaks about justice for the stranger and the foreigner.

My religion (Evangelical Lutheran) does not interpret Romans 13 as to say that just because there is a law, that it is just. Christians are not obligated to follow unjust laws. No human being is. If somebody is fleeing for their life from violence or extreme poverty, then there is a duty to help them.
No. Not a whole country or all the countries of impoverished people. We can't afford to take in billions of people who are unhappy with the conditions of their home country. Instead, they should pull together and together with the help of First World countries, ask for help in fixing their broken country.

As it is, most of their problems would be solved if they could practice birth control for a few decades. Most of these impoverished people are due to their countries being unable to support the numbers of people living on it.

And if we took in all the billions of people fleeing from poverty, it'd rapidly sink the good ship that is the United States of America.

Instead... why don't you and your church members move to South America to help these people fix their own country?

Old 07-25-2018, 09:26 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
There were 16 candidates to pick from on the Republican side the most unscrupulous one by far was selected. It wasn't only about Hillary, and yes it does matter to me I do generally vote Democratic but have some conservative leanings and was brought up right. There is no excuse.
I didn’t get 16 choices. I got three, and Trump didn’t win the primary in Texas. I didn’t vote either, because I wasn’t thrilled with the choices. When I voted for Trump in the general, it was so Texas didn’t go blue. I was as shocked as everyone else that he won.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:42 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I didn’t get 16 choices. I got three, and Trump didn’t win the primary in Texas. I didn’t vote either, because I wasn’t thrilled with the choices. When I voted for Trump in the general, it was so Texas didn’t go blue. I was as shocked as everyone else that he won.
People like you kill me because you voted for someone for stupid reasons. You didn't want the state to go blue. My democratic sister voted for Trump because she didn't like Hillary, who did. Yet she couldn't tell you what Trump would do for her because she really doesn't follow politics. And she was shocked as well when he won. But she has no idea how he is running the country because she doesn't follow politics She voted against her own best interest because she wasn't informed

Old 07-25-2018, 09:48 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
People like you kill me because you voted for someone for stupid reasons. You didn't want the state to go blue. My democratic sister voted for Trump because she didn't like Hillary, who did. Yet she couldn't tell you what Trump would do for her because she really doesn't follow politics. And she was shocked as well when he won. But she has no idea how he is running the country because she doesn't follow politics She voted against her own best interest because she wasn't informed
I voted for Trump because I knew that Hillary and her Democratic party would be too soft on illegals, DACAs and increase government handouts like free daycare for working mothers.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:52 PM

1,329 posts, read 831,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. Not a whole country or all the countries of impoverished people. We can't afford to take in billions of people who are unhappy with the conditions of their home country. Instead, they should pull together and together with the help of First World countries, ask for help in fixing their broken country.

As it is, most of their problems would be solved if they could practice birth control for a few decades. Most of these impoverished people are due to their countries being unable to support the numbers of people living on it.

And if we took in all the billions of people fleeing from poverty, it'd rapidly sink the good ship that is the United States of America.

Instead... why don't you and your church members move to South America to help these people fix their own country?

Guess which party opposes funding for international family planning?

Old 07-25-2018, 09:58 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
Hello Iowans, I live in Texas, I am a liberal moderate with many conservative traits. Texas has a lot of Hispanics and in the cities lots of liberals. In the country areas it is more conservative. When you read that "Texas has a lot of Hispanics " being so far from here, I bet you will assume I mean illegal Hispanics, I don't, we have tons of legal Hispanics who have been US citizens for many years, I am married to one. We have illegals too, I was just trying to make a point. We are diverse. I am unsure if Iowa is diverse, I assume perhaps wrongly that you aren't.

As I watch the news I am absolutely horrified by the GOP's cart blanche support of the President and I keep hearing Iowa is part of the "fans of Trump".

I see articles like this:
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...idterms-667171

and this
https://www.mail.com/news/politics/8...8-stage-mmm1-1

and I want to understand.

How can you all be so horribly unethical?

I mean you all go to church right, some of you? Some of you are probably humanist? Are you so "away form others" you just can't see a bigger picture?

How does your voting and your values influence your moral decisions day to day?

Thank you.
Waa! Not My Pwesident! Waa!

Watching "God-fearing" moderate progressive humanist diversified homogenized pasteurized liberals try to bonk Conservative Christian types over the head with shame makes me laugh my balls off.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:06 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
Guess which party opposes funding for international family planning?
Why should that be paid for with my tax dollars?

Otherwise, the Democratic party cares nothing for the middle class citizens. All they do is focus their attention on the poor and illegals. And DACAs need to go back to their home country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies