Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 06:34 AM

4,252 posts, read 3,170,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
The news is that they are negotiating and that they have the same goals -- zero tariffs -- but guess what -- nothing signed, nothing agreed -- NO DEAL YET.

It's a good start? It's always good to start with negotiations. They could have done that in the first place.
Perhaps yes, perhaps no. Seems to me that europe was pretty happy with the way things were....why would they be inclined to change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 06:35 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
For some reason, I don't believe a word that Trump says, and will wait to hear the facts from the Europeans.
That's a very good point.

While I think it's aweful that our President believes Putin over the US Intelligence Community, I find it even sadder that our own sitting POTUS is so un-credible (based on objective fact and PROOF that he is a habitual liar) that someone can JUSTIFIABLY state that they can't believe our POTUS, and will have to wait to see what leaders from other countries say 'actually' happened.

That is just SAD. (And I'm in total agreement with OP, unfortunately, I'm in no position to disagree or be offended by the otherwise offensive thing you posted.)

Old 07-26-2018, 06:39 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Yesterday's news was encouraging, at the least. However, it is not like the EU will, itself, purchase tons of soybeans and then distribute them to a grateful public; rather, European corporations will have to do the purchasing, and they may be a little hesitant to enter into contracts with American soybean producers, at this time.

Likewise, European countries would have to decide that it is more economical for them to purchase liquid natural gas and have it shipped over, rather than have it piped in from countries within and/or bordering the EU.

I still don't understand the 'zero' tariff idea, meaning (I suppose) that goods may freely flow between the United States and the 28 members of the EU. Aren't wages less in many of those countries? Wouldn't it be cheaper for US manufacturers to move plants to Portugal, Spain, Greece, etc., and pay much less for producing products, and then ship them back over here? Perhaps a person knowledgeable about how such works can do a brief explanation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why not? They'll get them dirt cheap, because China and Mexico are not buying anymore, and the US government bails out the farmers losses.
Good point.

Will taxpayers be subsidizing Carl Icahn's LNG as well as corporate farmer's soybeans, and pork?

Old 07-26-2018, 06:45 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
So, Trump blinked.

Was it because the bail-outs made him realize he was playing a fools game?

Old 07-26-2018, 06:50 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Perhaps yes, perhaps no. Seems to me that europe was pretty happy with the way things were....why would they be inclined to change?
They have more to gain by changing than keeping things the way they are and running the risk of things getting worse by not cooperating with Trump.

Trump is executing a brilliant strategy that the status quo politicians never understood. They bashed him for taking on all the countries that were ripping us off on trade. They wanted him to allow our military allies to keep screwing us and take on China. They are wrong like they always are.
Trump takes on all of them at the same time and they are weaker than us and China. Trump brings them into agreement with him and then takes on China. A strategy that is consistent with a position of strength which is necessary to beat the big dog. "China"
Europe wins big b/c its a big check to Russian power also. Russia won't be able to hold the EU hostage with control of their oil and gas.
Japan, So Korea, Canada, Mexico will all fall in line like dominoes. The domino principal didn't work with communism but it will work great with trade. Its better than military conflict. Peace through economic strength is a good trade deal. A better deal for us and the EU. Naturally people who are for more useless MILITARY wars will disagree.

Last edited by phma; 07-26-2018 at 07:03 AM..

Old 07-26-2018, 06:52 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
No agreement. An agreement to make an agreement.

A nothing burger.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:04 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Shouldn't start popping those champagne corks just yet if one were some of you.

For those who haven't watched such great programs like "Yes, Minister" or "To Play The King", or "House of Cards", and or studied international politics, let me break things down like a fraction.

There is what leaders of nations stand up in front of media announce (shaking hands, back slapping, smiling, etc..); then there is what happens back home when civil servants/bureaucrats take up the thing and start dicing it to bits.

Soybeans? There isn't a EU or even French, German, or other member state have taxes, quotas, subsides a program for the stuff. If farmers want to buy US soybeans they will get them from suppliers. Key word there is "want" which translates into demand. It isn't as if the EU or a member country is going to be buying up vast amounts of American soybeans to distribute.

Liquefied Natural Gas? Russia has had a lock on that market and it's supply lines stretch deep into Germany and other parts of EU. Again the EU isn't going to build or expand LNG terminals nor have any member countries (yet) announced plans to do so. Why would they go through all that bother and expense when Russian LNG flows easily and cheaply through pipelines?

Politics behind trade deals is to get as much as you can for your country, without giving too much away to the other.

Having made this "deal" with DT, M. Juncker must now sell the deal to various EU members. That body of late is like trying to herd kittens. More so as far right/leave the EU wings of political parties have been gaining traction.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ith-trump-deal

This is certainly no victory, it's just an attempt to avoid a pointless trade war which would damage all involved.

LNG and Soyabeans are not that significant and before any discussions take place Trump will have to agree to scrap steel and aluminium tariffs.

Furthermore this is an agreement to merely talk, and is not a deal and it should be noted that the EU and US spent years negotiating a free trade under the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership which eventually was evetaually scrapped by Trump who was very critical of it.

Trump is merely going back to where the US was before it scrapped TTIP and is reviving Obama style trade goals - what a stable genius.

Of course the EU has agreed, as it knows talks can drag on for years and years by which time the US may well have a different President.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters Breakingviews) - European Commission boss Jean-Claude Juncker wouldn’t pitch it this way. But on Wednesday, he and U.S. President Donald Trump essentially revived trade goals dating from the Barack Obama era.

The European Union will buy more American soybeans and liquefied natural gas, while U.S. tariffs on steel imports from that region may be eliminated if the parties can agree. Other goals featured in negotiations about the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership, or TTIP, under Trump’s predecessor.

Trump and Juncker revive Obama-era trade goals - Reuters

Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership - Wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guardian

Experts urged caution. Bart Oosterveld, director of the global business and economics programme at the Atlantic Council thinktank in Washington, said: “The avoidance of a disaster is not a success.

What I think we saw is the resumption of some basic dialogue. Individual items like soybeans and LNG [liquefied natural gas] are not massively significant. I don’t think the EU would agree to a major revision of trade terms without steel and aluminium being taken off the table first.”

Trump and EU officials agree to work toward 'zero tariff' deal - Guardian

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-26-2018 at 07:15 AM..

Old 07-26-2018, 07:10 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
No agreement. An agreement to make an agreement.

A nothing burger.
Let me see if I have this right? You expected hours after the meeting that Trump and the E U would have in writing the trade agreement ready to be signed. I would guess that this new treaty with the EU is over a hundred pages, and that is a conservative guess. If I remembered correctly I saw the NAFTA treaty papers on a pallet and it was 3 ft high.

So let me ask you and other partisans:

Did you expect the trade agreement between Trump and the EU to be written, finalized and signed with in hours? how about with in days?

Or are you just angry that Trump is doing something on trade and looking out for workers that your party claimed to be doing?

Can you or other partisans answer the questions?

Old 07-26-2018, 07:11 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

This is certainly no victory, it's just an attempt to avoid a pointless trade war which would damage all involved.

LNG and Soyabeans are not that significant and before any discussions take place Trump will have to agree to scrap steel and aluminium tariffs.

Furthermore this is an agreement to merely talk, and is not a deal and
No one yet has put forward a better plan that avoids military conflict and strengthens the worlds economys.

If you have a better idea, lets hear it.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:13 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
They have more to gain by changing than keeping things the way they are and running the risk of things getting worse by not cooperating with Trump.

Trump is executing a brilliant strategy that the status quo politicians never understood. They bashed him for taking on all the countries that were ripping us off on trade. They wanted him to allow our military allies to keep screwing us and take on China. They are wrong like they always are.
Trump takes on all of them at the same time and they are weaker than us and China. Trump brings them into agreement with him and then takes on China. A strategy that is consistent with a position of strength which is necessary to beat the big dog. "China"
Europe wins big b/c its a big check to Russian power also. Russia won't be able to hold the EU hostage with control of their oil and gas.
Japan, So Korea, Canada, Mexico will all fall in line like dominoes. The domino principal didn't work with communism but it will work great with trade. Its better than military conflict. Peace through economic strength is a good trade deal. A better deal for us and the EU. Naturally people who are for more useless MILITARY wars will disagree.
Don't look now phma, but Trump's no better at "dominoes" than he's proven to be at playing checkers. He backed down on the car tariff thingy like everyone predicted. Junckers threw him a lifeline and he snatched at it like a drowning cat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies