Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 03:49 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times

Advertisements

Man, they got beat up today. Zuckerberg probably has more spare change between his sofa cushions than I do in my bank account. He'll be fine, don't know about Facebook though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 04:02 PM

5,472 posts, read 3,225,328 times
Facebook, it is likely time for its run to be like many other sites before it... just like in the past MySpace had its run....

Facebook had done a lot of damage to people and damaged so much of the web, when all these sites 'gave them" people info, with the promotion of using a facebook log-in... for sites that had nothing to do with facebook.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:35 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Dennis Cao, a 24-year-old software engineer with a penchant for risk, just got caught on the wrong side of Facebook’s FB-18.96% historic plunge. He says it cost him $180,000, or almost 40% of his account.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/on...000-2018-07-26

Old 07-26-2018, 04:44 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Facebook will eventually turn out like Block-Buster Video...dust in the wind...
Yep. Young kids/adults barely use it now...

Old 07-26-2018, 05:02 PM

104 posts, read 60,403 times
Yawn, the stock fell lower with the Cambridge analytical scandal back in April

I don’t use their service but believe me, It’s far from over.

Facebook does not force anyone to use their services or share their personal info. If you do that, it’s your own fault. Facebook is not your mommy and zuckerberg is certainly not your daddy.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:03 PM

435 posts, read 176,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Facebook stocks went down after hour due to bad revenues.

Since all the biased handlings of Facebook came to light, I haven’t used Facebook much or only to check a few times. But usage went on my end down by at least 90%.

This morning I checked my ad status again and again my info was shared with unknown people and I had to “hide” another 40 companies/people from Allstate to unknown politicians and companies that I never heard off.

Disgusting to see that Facebook didn’t seem to change anything. Fake promises by Zuckerberg to Congress and we the people!
Is this Bill Nelson?

Their business model is selling data and targeted ads!

Old 07-26-2018, 05:05 PM

10,457 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Good.

Can't wait 'til that Zuckerberg has his entire fortune wiped out. He and his operation are evil.
I agree with this. They are definitely involved in with some shady stuff. I call my local plumber to empty my septic tank, and later on that night, I am seeing ads on FB about septic tank cleaning, and I never searched for the service online at all. I go to the doctors for a check up, and given a prescription, and I get home and the same medicine is being advertised to me on FB. The biggest eye opener is when my friend and I went to Barnes and Noble, and we looked at several CD's, and then bought some books, and then sat down at the Starbucks, and we did this all with cash, and used no store cards because we don't go there enough to bother with the hassle, and my friend started to scroll on FB with her phone, and they were advertising B&N, the actual CD's we were looking at, the books we bought and Starbucks. I can understand Starbucks and B&N, since maybe FB located us with our phones, but to know what we bought with cash and the CD's we were looking at got us both spooked. Are they like, watching us on camera?????

Old 07-26-2018, 05:14 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
but to know what we bought with cash and the CD's we were looking at got us both spooked. Are they like, watching us on camera?????
The algorithms are getting better, and could probably make suggestions based upon the sort of music it knows you like. They've begun to use more neural network based things that allow them to really get amazingly accurate guesses based upon data on you and others around you.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:19 PM

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
FB is undertaking the search for the white rhino. Fake news? I was talking to FB engineers (who were on the fake news team and were being worked nights, weekends) and they told me that it's excruciatingly hard developing a computer based algorithm to separate fake news from real news (cnn, msnbc etc). I laughed and told them their problem is they're assuming cnn et all are real news

Old 07-26-2018, 05:24 PM

104 posts, read 60,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I agree with this. They are definitely involved in with some shady stuff. I call my local plumber to empty my septic tank, and later on that night, I am seeing ads on FB about septic tank cleaning, and I never searched for the service online at all. I go to the doctors for a check up, and given a prescription, and I get home and the same medicine is being advertised to me on FB. The biggest eye opener is when my friend and I went to Barnes and Noble, and we looked at several CD's, and then bought some books, and then sat down at the Starbucks, and we did this all with cash, and used no store cards because we don't go there enough to bother with the hassle, and my friend started to scroll on FB with her phone, and they were advertising B&N, the actual CD's we were looking at, the books we bought and Starbucks. I can understand Starbucks and B&N, since maybe FB located us with our phones, but to know what we bought with cash and the CD's we were looking at got us both spooked. Are they like, watching us on camera?????
Yes. Did you ever watch that Black Mirror episode where a mother installed a chip in her daughter that allows her to see everything her daughter sees through an iPad?

If you ever drank coffee there, you probably drank a microscopic chip that allows Barnes and Noble to see what you see. They will eventually get sued through a class action suit. Each user will get $59 for the inconvenience, the lawyers will get millions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies