Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 11:41 AM

8,319 posts, read 4,292,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordin View Post
dock her up! Dock her up! Dock her up!
😀
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 11:52 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,779,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Said British loyalists in 1773.

Man, c'mon people, don't be such government sycophants just because "your team" is in charge that you get outraged by minor damage to the $40 million vanity toy of someone who used her family's wealth to buy a cabinet position.

I don't even know if this was tied to political motivations at all, or an accident or a random prank or a disgruntled crew member or a pissed off yacht owner...but this mock outrage on a complete non-story is kind of weird.
It's a revolution! All criminal activity is on the table! The rest of your post is just envy.

Old 07-27-2018, 11:58 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,418,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I wonder how many yacht-unmoorings they have had at that port in the last few years.

Umm, one, maybe?

Any chance it might have been done under cover of darkness by some Antifa-style RESIST thugs? People who figure that since they have convinced themselves that Trump officials are pure evil, it's OK to harass and attack them, damage and destroy their property any time, any place, as much as they can get away with?

The police aren't saying, and say they can't comment on an ongoing investigation.

Secretary DeVos is married to the guy whose father founded Amway Corp.

----------------------------------------------------

https://www.yahoo.com/news/betsy-dev...160101928.html

Betsy DeVos' $40 Million Yacht Set Adrift By Vandals At Ohio Dock

by Hayley Miller, HuffPost
July 26, 2018
13 hours ago

A $40 million yacht owned by the family of Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos was set adrift by vandals at a dock in Ohio last weekend, causing thousands of dollars worth of damage to the vessel, according to the Toledo Blade.

The SeaQuest’s captain said his crew awoke Sunday to find the boat had been untied from its mooring at the Huron Boat Basin and was floating away, according to a police report obtained by HuffPost.

The crew was “able to gain control of the ship, but not before it struck the dock with its Starboard forward section,” the police report stated. Damage to the yacht consisted of “several large scratches and scrapes,” which the captain estimated would cost between $5,000 and $10,000 to repair, according to the police report.

Huron City Police Chief Robert Lippert confirmed to HuffPost that the yacht belonged to the DeVos family. He said DeVos had not been aboard at the time, but could not confirm whether other family members had been. Lippert would not speculate on a potential motive, citing the ongoing investigation.
It s not the Boston Tea Party but the environment is right.
Motive: hmmmm......maybe someone thought it needed to be docked in a swamp.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:07 PM

34,935 posts, read 36,074,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
....he said, just before announcing that....
Claiming you're "not condoning vandalism" doesn't mean you're not condoning vandalism. It just means you're good at talking out of both sides of your mouth in the same post.
No... and I'm a "she."

Anyway... what I was saying was that I do not condone vandalism, but if vandalism occurred, I have no doubt that Mrs. DeVos has full coverage, so there's no need for anyone to be alarmed.

Where in there does it sound like I'm cool with vandalizing other folks' property?

It doesn't, because I'm not.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:09 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,548,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Thoughts and prayers.
/thread

Old 07-27-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Oh who cares! So someone’s boat was set adrift. Well that’s a bummer but why are you making this some catastrophic event? Do you really have nothing to fill your time but to rage about someone’s boat being unmoored? Get a grip.
That was pretty much my point. A woman of means with plenty of insurance having her boat set adrift just doesn't bother me. She's fine. Her boat is fine.

I'd find this a sad tale if it was a struggling fisherman who risked losing his livelihood due to someone tampering with his boat.

But, this is not such a tale.

Old 07-27-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
This post means you condone criminal behaviour.
That was quite a leap. I think that post means he doesn't care about it either way... the boat... not criminal behavior.

There's a difference.

I am 100% sure that Betsy DeVos doesn't give a crap about my property, so why should I care about hers?

Old 07-27-2018, 12:21 PM

1,048 posts, read 1,547,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
It's a revolution! All criminal activity is on the table! The rest of your post is just envy.
What a shot across the bow! If that floats your boat, captain. While you and poor Betsy navigate choppy seas over a paint scuff on her 9th yacht, it's all smooth sailing for me because I realize this story should have been dumped overboard along with the rest of the jetsam.

Last edited by Hendu; 07-27-2018 at 12:32 PM..

Old 07-27-2018, 12:24 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,360,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisphotographer View Post
Stop with the Leftist thug ****. Seriously. You look like an idiot. Again, this isn't a left vs right issue, unless you're delusional enough to think teacher in Oklahoma are now "Leftist thugs" because they disagree with for profit education.

Also, care the counter why the worst colleges are all for profit and are continuing to fail, be sold etc? DeVry, University of Phoenix, ITT Tech etc.

uhm

the best colleges are for profit.... Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Columbia etc,

Old 07-27-2018, 12:35 PM

1,330 posts, read 692,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhm

the best colleges are for profit.... Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Columbia etc,
No, they are not. They are private, non-profit universities.

Try again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies