Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 02:18 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

The Lost Generation and the Silent Generation -- aka the "Greatest Generation" (snicker) -- got saddled with the 1925 Recession, 1928 Recession, 1930 Recession, 1935 Recession, 1937 Recession, 1946 Recession, 1949 Recession and three recessions during the Eisenhower Administration, and they managed just fine.

Lol, seriously? You're going to use the Greatest Generation as your example? They got hit with the great depression, yet at the same time got to live through the golden era of America after WWII when there was no international competition. The greatest generation also had strong labor unions and were the recipients of some of the most massive social programs in the history of the world. The US government spent massive sums of money subsidizing homeownership for Americans under the National Housing Act of 1934 and Housing Act of 1937.

Sorry, it isn't post WW2 anymore. No one can own home with a high school degree and raise a family of 4 working at the local factory while owning a home because it is heavily subsidized by the government. Using the Greatest Generation as an example of how you 'can make it' after suffering through catastrophic economic downturn shows that you need MORE government programs and stronger unions, if anything. Unlike the Great Depression, the only type of New Deal program after 2008 was received by corporations and not typical Americans even though 2008 wiped out $10 trillion in wealth for Americans, most of whom were middle class. Other recessions do not compare to the loss of what was incurred in 2008. 2008 was the worst recession in the history of the country besides the Great Depression.

Last edited by fibonacci; 07-27-2018 at 02:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 02:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I desperately want kids, but how do you do it when costs are rising so much faster than incomes? Despite raises and promotions that have doubled my income since I entered the workforce 8 years ago, cost of living has increased at an even faster pace!
That's the result of Demand-pull Inflation.

Your choices are simple: Stop consuming, or increase the Supply of goods and services to match or exceed Demand.

The purpose of Demand-pull Inflation is to stop the depletion, overuse or over-consumption of goods and services, so if you you can't afford things, then the Laws of Economics are working exactly as they should be working.

There's 2.5 Billion people without electricity in the World, and when they get electricity, they're going to start consuming at a rate even greater than Americans (and take lots of jobs from Americans), so the prices of things are going to increase.

Good luck with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
They have more kids but it is far from a financial boon.

Food Stamps, short-term TANF benefits, Medicaid, subsidized housing result in a bare bones life.
$520/month in SNAP benefits, plus $400/month to $2800/month in HUD Section 8 rent subsidies (depending on where you live in the US), plus $450/ to $750/month in Medicaid benefits (depending on the State in which you live), plus $5,000 to $6,400 in Earned Income Tax Credit is:

$21,400 to $55,240 a year plus their earned income.

Earning the federal minimum wage puts them at $15,080 plus their benefits puts them at $36,480 to $70,320 annually and for most of them, they make more than the median income for their State.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There are multiple valid reasons people wouldn't have them: they can't afford them, a totally selfless reason, the world is a violent, scary place and people would rather not have kids in this environment, climate change has caused the world to be unsafe due to natural disasters, their own health issues, financial insecurity for the next generation, the list goes on. . .
The World is not violent. When was the last time an army came through your town, took all of your crops, burned the rest, and killed people?

The 21st Century is less violent than the 20th Century, and even with two World Wars, the 20th Century was less violent than the Centuries before it, and the existence of the Law of Warfare (which didn't come about until the end of the 19th Century).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
I think its student loans. Hard to foot that 1k daycare monthly payment when you and your wife are paying 1,500 a month in student loans. Old people don't realize what student loan debt is doing to 40 and unders right now.
I went back to school earlier this Century and got two more undergrad degrees and two graduate degrees and I didn't use student loans. I worked full- and part-time jobs, and shared an apartment with four others to make ends meet and pay for school.

Of the four people I shared an apartment with, only one used student loans, but she only borrowed $2,000 to $4,000 a year, instead of borrowing $20,000 a year and getting breast and butt implants, and buying a new car and partying on Spring Break in Cancun or South Padre Island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Climate change has increased the rate of natural disasters exponentially.
No, it has not, and you can't support your silly claim with any evidence.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Of the four people I shared an apartment with, only one used student loans, but she only borrowed $2,000 to $4,000 a year, instead of borrowing $20,000 a year and getting breast and butt implants, and buying a new car and partying on Spring Break in Cancun or South Padre Island.
The limit for federal student loans for an undergrad is $5500/year.

Edit: I need to clarify that the amount rises with each year of college completed. It's $6500 for sophomores and $7500 for junior/seniors. These numbers are for dependent students. Independent students can receive more.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-27-2018 at 03:08 PM..

Old 07-27-2018, 02:42 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You would rip them if they had kids they couldn't afford and ended up needing help from society, and you would rip them if they decided to be responsible and not have kids they cannot afford.

Basically, you just want to rip on millennials.

The only thing your post was missing was the obligatory, "Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!"

Fo realzzzz my nizzle? I'm raising my 6 year old granddaughter. I don't water my grass so if the neighborhood kids wanna dig a foxhole in it and play soldier it won't matter. And I'm freaking old living on a fixed retirement income. I'd rather be doing this then worrying about what kinda rims I'm gonna put on my new black Escalade.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:49 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The limit for federal student loans for an undergrad is $5500/year.
Impossible. It doesn’t fit the narrative that millennials deserve economic hardship because of their own poor choices. Must be fake news.

Old 07-27-2018, 02:55 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Impossible. It doesn’t fit the narrative that millennials deserve economic hardship because of their own poor choices. Must be fake news.
Mircea is uninformed and needs to get a clue. The college students who are getting breast and butt implants or are buying new cars are doing it on their woefully inattentive parents' dime. I've had two kids attend university, one of whom is graduated and one of whom is still there. College students who take federal student loans are serious about school because those funds don't go very far. (One semester's tuition at the schools my kids' attended cost more than my entire Bachelor's degree program, and that's just tuition, not room & board.) The kids who party are coming from wealthy families or have parents who are willing to remortgage their homes but unwilling or unable to hold their kids accountable. I would cut my kids off in a hot second if they started screwing around in college, and they know it.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-27-2018 at 03:19 PM..

Old 07-27-2018, 03:01 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Quote:
According to a recent study the average student loan debt for Class of 2017 graduates is $39,400.

Found this multiple places. That's the avg in 1 class of 4-y graduates. How many have more? How many jump right into grad school and rack up more debt?

Old 07-27-2018, 03:06 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
According to a recent study the average student loan debt for Class of 2017 graduates is $39,400.

Found this multiple places. That's the avg in 1 class of 4-y graduates. How many have more? How many jump right into grad school and rack up more debt?
Do you have any idea what college costs? I don’t know what alternate universe you inhabit; it isn’t possible to get a living-wage job right out of high school anymore. Without higher education, one is doomed to a lifetime of low paid work in construction or service jobs.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:18 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Quote:
Do you have any idea what college costs? I don’t know what alternate universe you inhabit; it isn’t possible to get a living-wage job right out of high school anymore. Without higher education, one is doomed to a lifetime of low paid work in construction or service jobs.
Find in my posts -- because I inhabit reality, not any alternate universe -- where I said anyone can get a job out of HS without any further education or training.

Let me save you the time, I feel nice today. Never said that. Not once. Not twice. Not ever.

People need to learn to read what the words actually say instead of what they think they say.

And those trade and service jobs? My sister's friend has been a bartender for 25 years. He makes a KILLING. Why? Because he goes where the money is and works his butt off. He has a family and owns his own house. Smart guy too.

And trades encompass way more than construction. You are showing your LACK of knowledge there. Have you even investigated? Looked into what is available now? Priced out education, job availablilty and career options? The scholarships that are available?

No. You haven't.

You are stuck in "I must go to college I must get a 4 y degree I must go into debt so I can be unemployed."

Shocks you when people suggest that GASP other people do it differently and GASP are not living in a cardboard box.

People love to be victims. This thread really proves it.

Old 07-27-2018, 03:20 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,681,771 times
Quote:

Two of my brother-in-laws don't have a single college credit. They are both partners in their own residential plumbing company they started 5 years ago. They each took a salary of $150,000 last year. They have 4 employees besides themselves who make a minimum of $30.00 an hour. I'm their bookkeeper. This hoax that you need a college degree to make good money is baloney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies