Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2018, 06:46 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Uh... What?

Goodness people on this site are removed from reality.
Some one than others.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 12:01 AM

1,078 posts, read 936,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
This exactly. I know millennials who even home school their kids. So it does get me going when a young professional couple lives in an expensive city and complains they can't have kids. It just isn't true, they are making a choice to put their lifestyle first. I have no problem with people who are not cut out for parenthood. Two totally different things.
That would be us, I home educate the kiddos and we wanted that and planned it from the getgo

Old 07-28-2018, 06:29 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,934,145 times
Quote:
Who exactly are you talking to?
I was asked about 3 times by a specific poster how millenials can improve their finances. I ignored the questions because these seem obvious to me. After the poster claimed I was judgmental, and accused me of essentially being a blowhard with no suggestions and said that millenials have no options, I posted them. Again, these seem common sense. /shrug/

Old 07-28-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
That's a very good question, and you seem to be the first who asked it. There's a contingent of posters around here who think it's their job to lecture whether or not it's appropriate. A tremendous lack of empathy plagues C-D.
I was asked about 3 times by a specific poster how millenials can improve their finances. I ignored the questions because these seem obvious to me. After the poster claimed I was judgmental, and accused me of essentially being a blowhard with no suggestions and said that millenials have no options, I posted them. Again, these seem common sense. /shrug/

But, hey assume I have no empathy. I mean, giving suggestions that may be useful instead of patting someone on the back for choosing to live in victim mode = monster on these boards. /shrug/

Old 07-28-2018, 06:47 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,651,114 times
As the wage gap increases between the haves and have nots, it's no wonder why there are less children. They are expensive.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:13 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Bingo.

Staying home to raise the kids is becoming increasingly unaffordable. Parents now race around between day care, after school care, summer camp, ... always one sick child away from the whole deal falling apart.

Public schools in many areas are a mess, so day care bills and preschool costs roll into private school tuition and college costs. Unless you have a government pension, trying to pay for kids and save for retirement is a challenge.

As companies merge, fold, and lay off, parents are often just a paycheck or two away from the whole thing falling in on them.

No wonder folks are saying, "Not for me, thanks anyway.
"
Even in areas where public schools are good, you often need before and after care and coverage during all the days off.

We made it work, but of course it limited our careers because we wouldn't take jobs with extensive travel or ridiculous hours. Often one of us would do drop off and one pickup.

I wouldn't change anything. My son is the light of my life. A job is just a job, and there is no loyalty anymore. You can be working your ass off one day and be canned the next.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Uh... What?

Goodness people on this site are removed from reality.
Actually they aren't.

If people 30 years ago waited for everything millenials want in place before having kids, the millenials would never have been born.

Old 07-28-2018, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Even in areas where public schools are good, you often need before and after care and coverage during all the days off.

We made it work, but of course it limited our careers because we wouldn't take jobs with extensive travel or ridiculous hours. Often one of us would do drop off and one pickup.

I wouldn't change anything. My son is the light of my life. A job is just a job, and there is no loyalty anymore. You can be working your ass off one day and be canned the next.
What you love becomes your life.

Some people choose money first. Some people choose family first.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:12 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,860,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Actually they aren't.

If people 30 years ago waited for everything millenials want in place before having kids, the millenials would never have been born.
... you forget that it was easier to have everything in place 30-35 years ago, in terms of employment with a living wage, housing, and overall COL. Even daycare costs were significantly cheaper, even adjusted for inflation.

And as others have told you, our (millennials) parents weren't lumbered with the same extent of student debt.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:22 AM

3,315 posts, read 2,131,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
That is asking a lot for a young couple. Everything doesn't have to be perfect. You can live in a small apartment or condo and have a kid.

I agree that everything doesn't (and shouldn't) have to be perfect, but I also think folks are naive in believing there exists a sufficient supply of reasonably desirable and affordable rentals, let alone for those desiring to have children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies