Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 07:34 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You would rip them if they had kids they couldn't afford and ended up needing help from society, and you would rip them if they decided to be responsible and not have kids they cannot afford.

Basically, you just want to rip on millennials.

The only thing your post was missing was the obligatory, "Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!"
You might be onto something, here.

One is headed over the hill when one rags on younger generations.

One is wet behind the ears when one rags on prior generations.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 07-27-2018 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 07:37 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You would rip them if they had kids they couldn't afford and ended up needing help from society, and you would rip them if they decided to be responsible and not have kids they cannot afford.

Basically, you just want to rip on millennials.

The only thing your post was missing was the obligatory, "Hey, you kids, get off my lawn!"
Or they could plan their lives accordingly. Get educated in a field where they can get an income that will support the lifestyle they want and stop making excuses about it or asking others to pay for it. Marry a spouse that has the same value system to avoid divorce.

You know: be accountable. Have some self respect.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:38 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Just admit the decision to not have children is about selfishness. The millennial generation is all about themselves and their selfish pursuits. Hopefully when they reach the end of their lives and they are surrounded by all their money and toys on their death bed it'll bring them great joy. I can see it now millions of folks taking their last breath with an IPhone in one hand and a fist full of dollars in the other. What a legacy to leave behind!
Yeah, it is a about 'selfishness' not the fact that childcare costs $2000-3000 per month, college educations for a child cost $40-60k+ per year, starter homes cost $400k+,
renting while trying to save for a home costs $1400-2000 per month for a place big enough to fit a family, healthcare costs can drive you to bankruptcy, and the fact that we have to take care of a bunch of baby boomer parents who couldn't save enough of their money for their own retirement. Oh, did I mention you still have to pay for your own college debt that is still hanging on your bhead and still save for your own retirement on top of all of that? And here I thought the big problem according to CDs base that they constantly whine about were selfish deadbeats who couldn't afford children, have them anyway and make society foot the bill for their decision they could not afford...

Cantakerous posts like this from what is probably an old curmudgeon boomer fading away into the sunset just show how out of touch with modern society and the costs it takes to raise a family in the modern world your generation really is. Boomers, it isn't the 1970s, 80s or even 90s anymore. It was nice growing up in an age when you could go down and work at the local auto factory or lumber yard with just a high school education, buy a home and raise a family while the wife stayed home to take care of the kids. That really hasn't existed for the last 20-30+ years. Most people are a job loss or single health care complication away from financial disaster....and that is without kids.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Yeah, it is a about 'selfishness' not the fact that childcare costs $2000-3000 per month, college educations for a child cost $40-60k+ per year, starter homes cost $400k+,
renting while trying to save for a home costs $1400-2000 per month for a place big enough to fit a family, healthcare costs can drive you to bankruptcy, and the fact that we have to take care of a bunch of baby boomer parents who couldn't save enough of their money for their own retirement. Oh, did I mention you still have to pay for your own college debt that is still hanging on your bhead and still save for your own retirement on top of all of that? And here I thought the big problem according to CDs base that they constantly whine about were selfish deadbeats who couldn't afford children, have them anyway and make society foot the bill for their decision they could not afford...

Cantakerous posts like this from what is probably an old curmudgeon boomer fading away into the sunset just show how out of touch with modern society and the costs it takes to raise a family in the modern world your generation really is. Boomers, it isn't the 1970s, 80s or even 90s anymore. It was nice growing up in an age when you could go down and work at the local auto factory or lumber yard with just a high school education, buy a home and raise a family while the wife stayed home to take care of the kids. That really hasn't existed for the last 20-30+ years. Most people are a job loss or single health care complication away from financial disaster....and that is without kids.
Choose a field that pays well. No one forces people to want to write reviews for video games as a career.

Don't get into debt over student loans. No one forces people to take on student loans. There are many, many ways to get an education without getting into debt.

Move to a place that's cheaper to live, get some roommates, save your money instead of getting the latest phone every time it's released.

Instead of focusing on how much it costs to be sick, focus on staying HEALTHY.

Stop the excuses. Good gawd.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Or they could plan their lives accordingly. Get educated in a field where they can get an income that will support the lifestyle they want and stop making excuses about it or asking others to pay for it. Marry a spouse that has the same value system to avoid divorce.

You know: be accountable. Have some self respect.

Yeah sure, whatever you say. Several of my friends DID get educated in fields that are lucrative. They are now chief surgeons. Guess what, they're paying off $500,000 in student loans and don't have kids. I'm a professional engineer with graduate training and still feel the financial squeeze trying to eek out a middle class life. Just trying to buy a home these days is a major challenge with the starter home prices in many markets that you have to save for while paying rents that are at record high costs almost everywhere. Once again, boomers out of touch with modern reality.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah sure, whatever you say. Several of my friends DID get educated in fields that are lucrative. They are now chief surgeons. Guess what, they're paying off $500,000 in student loans and don't have kids. I'm a professional engineer with graduate training and still feel the financial squeeze trying to eek out a middle class life. Just trying to buy a home these days is a major challenge with the starter home prices in many markets that you have to save for while paying rents that are at record high costs almost everywhere. Once again, boomers out of touch with modern reality.
Sorry, not a boomer. Nice steroytype though.

I would never recommend anyone ever becoming a doctor. the debt/income ratio is horrific. To me it's a foolish, foolish choice. same with lawyer. Dumb choice.

If your market area is so expensive ... MOVE. Look at alternate career paths to see if you can increase your income. Take a second job and dump ALL that income on the debt to get rid of it.

Stop being a victim. Take control of your life. You too have choices.

PS> Schools are business. They want your money. It's up to YOU to get the best education that has the best ROI for YOUR income potential at the lowest cost. If you choose to go in blindly? Don't whine when the bills are due.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Sorry, not a boomer. Nice steroytype though.

I would never recommend anyone ever becoming a doctor. the debt/income ratio is horrific. To me it's a foolish, foolish choice. same with lawyer. Dumb choice.

If your market area is so expensive ... MOVE. Look at alternate career paths to see if you can increase your income. Take a second job and dump ALL that income on the debt to get rid of it.

Stop being a victim. Take control of your life. You too have choices.

Yes, so easy to just 'move'. Why didn't anyone think of that before!

Old 07-27-2018, 07:55 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Not all we boomers are out of touch. Many of us recognize the unfair hand millennials have been dealt.

But Newtovenice will tell you to just try harder. Why are you only an engineer? And your friends, sloughing it off by being only chief surgeons. Why are they not also rocket scientists and tech entrepreneurs as well if they want to buy a house and have kids?

Lazy, lazy, lazy!

Basically, Newtovenice lives in a little dream world of her own making. It has no connection to reality.

Old 07-27-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Yes, so easy to just 'move'. Why didn't anyone think of that before!
People don't. They would rather be victims than take control of their own lives.

There are always solutions. People choose not to look for them. /shrug/

Old 07-27-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
People don't. They would rather be victims than take control of their own lives.

There are always solutions. People choose not to look for them. /shrug/
So the chain of your logic is that people choose to be victims and don't want to take control of their own lives, thus resulting in the lower fertility rate we are observing in the US and basically in the entire western world....

Sound argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies