Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 04:39 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,117,194 times

Advertisements

Blame Putin and Russian bots, I guess.

Quote:
In an extremely troubling move three years ago, the Republican-controlled Congress handed the Internal Revenue Service the power to strip individuals of one of the most important and tangible rights possessed by American citizens – their passports. The Service is now starting to use this hammer.
Quote:
The US, of course, has long been especially contemptuous of potential emigrants, as "the United States is one of only two countries (the other being Eritrea) that taxes its citizens no matter whether they reside." This acts as a sizable disincentive to Americans looking to move abroad.
https://mises.org/wire/you-now-cant-...s-irs-lets-you

Quote:
The tool given to the IRS with which to pressure taxpayers into giving Uncle Sam his due, is found in the 32nd Title of the massive 2015 transportation infrastructure bill; it is simply an “Offset.” In other words, the IRS now can direct that the State Department refuse to issue a passport to an applicant, or to revoke one already issued, simply because that citizen owes some back taxes. The federal government can now “lawfully” do this because the Congress, in its zeal to implement thousands of pet transportation projects, needed to conjure “offsets” to help pay for them.
https://townhall.com/columnists/bobb...ports-n2499137

'Murica!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 05:58 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Quote:
And now, if you fail to pay taxes while living outside the US, the IRS can simply revoke your passport if you return to the states.
Every time I read something like this I think: "Ok, this has to be the last straw for a Statist or two. Can't they see how tyrannical this is?"

Then I stumble upon a Stormy Daniels thread which gets 5 billion posts for every one a topic like this gets.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Every time I read something like this I think: "Ok, this has to be the last straw for a Statist or two. Can't they see how tyrannical this is?"

Then I stumble upon a Stormy Daniels thread which gets 5 billion posts for every one a topic like this gets.

Dude, it's way past comical at this point.

THIS is why I drag so-called "conservatives" more than I do liberals. They're supposed to be opposed to this kind of BS. Liberals are naturally going to be 100% in favor of it.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:18 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
FATCA needs to be repealed.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:41 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,353,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Dude, it's way past comical at this point.

THIS is why I drag so-called "conservatives" more than I do liberals. They're supposed to be opposed to this kind of BS. Liberals are naturally going to be 100% in favor of it.
I have a soft spot for picking on liberals being that I'm in one of their pet groups but refuse to fetch and heel.

I see your point though.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:48 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Hey look, is that you Denise Rich?

Seriously, if you can't figure out that this is aimed at people seeking to ditch out and leave an unpaid tax bill aka "dine and dash" I can't help you.

We had a guy like this in my home town that made enough money at his restaurant, got it back to his home country and then finally....*poof*.

Guy heads back home and leaves creditors, IRS etc. all to burn as he was now out of their reach.

Explain to me EXACTLY why enabling non-payment of taxes is either partisan or a good thing? These are known in advance, you live here, you work here but then if you try to ditch on them...suddenly they're some sort of victim? WTF man.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:52 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
FATCA needs to be repealed.

You've got that right. I have a UK bank account, and the US government has its nose in it as they do for every bank account across the globe. Many banks wont even do business with Americans because they don't want to give the US government access to their files.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:08 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post

You've got that right. I have a UK bank account, and the US government has its nose in it as they do for every bank account across the globe. Many banks wont even do business with Americans because they don't want to give the US government access to their files.
All FATCA does for expat Americans is create a situation where the expat has to renounce American citizenship just to be able to conduct everyday banking business in their country of residence.

Frankly...it really needs to go. Or undergo a massive legislative overhaul, one or the other.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:17 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,665,994 times
Quote:
into giving Uncle Sam his due, is found in the 32nd Title of the massive 2015 transportation infrastructure bill;
This might be a republican controlled congress who passes the bill but who signed it?

Trump and Putin and his Russian bots.

But wait - Trump was not the president in 2015. It was the idiotic Obama. Was he colluding with Russian bots.

TDS is too much on this board, to the point of insanity.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
This might be a republican controlled congress who passes the bill but who signed it?

Trump and Putin and his Russian bots.

But wait - Trump was not the president in 2015. It was the idiotic Obama. Was he colluding with Russian bots.

TDS is too much on this board, to the point of insanity.
There's no way you can be that dense.

Ever hear of sarcasm? It was a shot at the Russophobes who see Putin's influence under everyone's bed.

Now that that's settled, would you care to attempt a coherent rebuttal of the post, or are you fine with the IRS having the ability to restrict the movements of American citizens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies