Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 05:03 PM

57,369 posts, read 26,285,929 times

Advertisements

EPA indicates the changes proposed to mileage requirements will lose in court, DOT selling point is more deaths due to smaller car size to achieve the new standards.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Senior administration officials are clashing over President Trump’s plan to roll back a major environmental rule and let cars emit more tailpipe pollution, according to 11 people familiar with the confrontation, in a dispute over whether the proposal can withstand legal challenge.
The rollback, one of the most consequential proposals of the Trump administration, not only would permit more planet-warming pollution from cars, it would also challenge the right of California and other states to set their own, more restrictive state-level pollution standards.

On one side is the Environmental Protection Agency’s acting chief, Andrew Wheeler, who has tried to put the brakes on the plan, fearing that its legal and technical arguments are weak and will set up the Trump administration for an embarrassing courtroom loss. Mr. Wheeler inherited the proposal from his predecessor, Scott Pruitt, who resigned on July 5 under a cloud of ethics investigations.
On the other side are top officials at the Transportation Department, Jeffrey A. Rosen and Heidi King, two of the proposal’s chief authors.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/27/c...-rollback.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 05:06 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,286,221 times
This is literally sickening.

Why would we want to bring back all that brown haze hanging over cities?

Trump is truly a man set on destroying our planet (because Obama was for saving the planet). Must reverse Obama--the welfare of the country be damned.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:43 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,630,780 times
Top Trump Officials Clash Over Plan to Let Cars Pollute More

The usual Fake News headline of lies.

Trump's proposal will not let cars pollute any more than they already do - and that's a LOT less then they have in the past. Apparently some leftist feels he can slip the lie past us - that cars will pollute more if Trump has his way.

Obama put a draconian law into place some years ago for eventual enactment, which would turn cars into underpowered, tinfoil skeletons in an attempt to make them pollute even less than they already do. Trump's plan is to simply keep pollution at the extremely low levels they've been for several years.

I guess the headline writers thought they could snag a few ignorant readers into believing yet another lie. Looks like they've already hooked a few on this forum. There's even one hysteric screaming that Trump is set on destroying the planet or something. Trump Derangement Syndrome has turned these nuts completely maniacal. Fortunately there are very few such nutcases, mostly hiding out in internet forums where they can keep gibbering away while doing no actual harm.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:45 PM

57,369 posts, read 26,285,929 times
The DOT study looks more like an excuse to defeat the mileage standards, should we go back to larger more inefficient cars for purely safety reasons. There are many complications in rolling back the standards and there is even criticism from the car manufacturers due to the instability.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:48 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,124,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Top Trump Officials Clash Over Plan to Let Cars Pollute More

The usual Fake News headline of lies.

Trump's proposal will not let cars pollute any more than they already do - and that's a LOT less then they have in the past. Apparently some leftist feels he can slip the lie past us - that cars will pollute more if Trump has his way.

Obama put a draconian law into place some years ago for eventual enactment, which would turn cars into underpowered, tinfoil skeletons in an attempt to make them pollute even less than they already do. Trump's plan is to simply keep pollution at the extremely low levels they've been for several years.

I guess the headline writers thought they could snag a few ignorant readers into believing yet another lie. Looks like they've already hooked a few on this forum.
Ever hear of cars having a crumple zone? Front receives the full impact while the cabin is more enforced.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:00 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,505,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
This is literally sickening.

Why would we want to bring back all that brown haze hanging over cities?

Trump is truly a man set on destroying our planet (because Obama was for saving the planet). Must reverse Obama--the welfare of the country be damned.
So... we're getting carburetors back?

Old 07-27-2018, 10:14 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,505,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Ever hear of cars having a crumple zone? Front receives the full impact while the cabin is more enforced.
LOL yeah. Right up until that engine lands in your lap...

Here's an idea...

Lift regulations placed on auto manufacturers, make them optional features. Keep the prices the same they are now, just discount accordingly.

I can go without airbags. Keep that. Save $1200+
I can go without ABS. Keep that. Save another $1500 between ABS pump and ABS control module.
I can go without traction control.
I can go without stability control. Save another $1200+ in modules wiring and software programing.

I could save alot of money with the non driver BS removed.

I would run a 5 point harness, that's it. No air bags. No ABS. No traction control. No stability control.
Not my problem others didn't grow up racing stock cars and can't drive in the rain or snow. If you couldn't do 70 in a snow storm that's your problem. Not mine. I could do it and not wreck. Others couldnt. Be it poor choice in vehicle. Tires. Or poor skills.
When winter came, I'd unplug the air bag and pull the ABS fuse. I could stop in snow. And if I got hit by someone head on, I didn't have to worry about an irreversible brain injury from getting smoked in the head with an airbag.

And vehicle size and construction has a significant role in occupant protection.
Simple physics. He whoever has the heavier vehicle or faster traveling vehicle wins the kinetic energy challenge.

I'll take a full frame rear wheel drive sedan like a Cadillac Fleetwood over a Fiat any day of the week if I had to get rear ended T boned or hit head on.
Whoever thought unibodies were great deserves a kick square in the ass.
Unibody construction and feeble wheel drive = throw away car.

Bring back the vehicles you could smoke a telephone pole with and replace a headlamp bezel pull the bumper back out and throw a new grill in and pound the hood back out. You can keep those chit boxes that fold up like a beer can that are throw aways upon impact.

Well. Since Cadillac doesn't make Big full perimeter framed land yachts... fully loaded crew cabs it is.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:33 PM

32,108 posts, read 15,101,787 times
Why don’t we all just buy electric

Old 07-27-2018, 10:38 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,070,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why don’t we all just buy electric
Theyre just coal fired steam powered.

Maybe this forum should be called the obsessed with Trump forum.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:45 PM

32,108 posts, read 15,101,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Theyre just coal fired steam powered.

Maybe this forum should be called the obsessed with Trump forum.
No. You just plug them into an electrical outlet because it’s a battery that needs to be charged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies