Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 07:35 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'll see one or two most times I am in a store and see the cart based "service dog" people. The worst part is stores just ask if it is a service animal and don't ask for paperwork.

There's no requirement for service dogs(yes,real ones) to have paperwork. It's illegal for a business to ask for this nonexistent paperwork for service dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 07:35 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
It's about time something is done. It's bad enough seeing all the phony service dogs and the 'emotional support' dogs walking around in a food store but I don't want to take a cart that last had a dog in it. Liking the inside of the cart, drooling spit and it's ass rubbing on the metal. And then you have to place your food in the cart?
I can honestly say, I've never seen a dog in a grocery cart. That's not a service dog so why would any store allow that. I have seen many service dogs in stores though, but they walk next to their owner

Old 07-28-2018, 07:37 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
There's no requirement for service dogs(yes,real ones) to have paperwork. It's illegal for a business to ask for this nonexistent paperwork for service dogs.
Well they should due to people abusing the laws and protections. A lap dog isn't a service dog, it is a pet.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:05 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,493,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene1999 View Post
I haven’t seen dogs at supermarkets. Is it really that common?

I guess they don’t want their stores to be like Petsmarts. It is obvious those animals relieve themselves in the stores because those stores always look and smell dirty.
In Florida? Hell yeah it was common...

You'd see boomer retirees with their toy designer breed punt mutts that fit in a purse being toted around (pomeranian Yorkie etc), 20/30 something "dog moms" the same...
Rarely would you see an actual seeing eye dog or service dog. Be it a lab, golden, or shepherd.

Designer mutts that are fluffy dropping hair in produce due to shedding in the heat and humidity. Nothing like going and getting a bag of tomatoes cucumbers onions etc and have dog hair in it.

I stopped going there and go to local farm markets. You can get 10 ears of sweet corn for a buck. The tomatoes are enormous get a vine with 5 mutant sized ones for 5 bucks. And no pets allowed. Spend 20 bucks at a farmers market you'll have fruits and vegetables for 2 weeks.
Publix. They're good for the orgasmic fried chicken and the salads... and do they have a variety of fresh made salads... 5-10 different types of potato salad, 5 different coleslaws, macaroni salads etc. Mmmnomnom...

That and if they don't have something you want, they'll get it for you.
If only they could get Stewart's Coffee and Lemon Iced muffins.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:12 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
This sound quite horrible and mean.......what about people who NEED to have their
emotional-comfort-animal with them????

We have become such a screwed up society that people now need to carry around a dog, cat, snake , or bird to let them function ? It has gotten crazy out of hand.

Yes, people who are blind or have some body problem that requires a dog ON A LEASH to function is one thing, but a weak minded person who thinks they will fall apart without their animal sitting in the same grocery cart I put my food in is bizarre and needless.

These snake carriers are ruining it for people who legitimately need a service animal. Bet if I told my boss I needed my cat to be with me to function at work I would find out real quick what his answer would be.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:16 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We have become such a screwed up society that people now need to carry around a dog, cat, snake , or bird to let them function ? It has gotten crazy out of hand.

Yes, people who are blind or have some body problem that requires a dog ON A LEASH to function is one thing, but a weak minded person who thinks they will fall apart without their animal sitting in the same grocery cart I put my food in is bizarre and needless.

These snake carriers are ruining it for people who legitimately need a service animal.
It's not a matter of "falling apart" as you so insensitively put it. There are certain mental conditions where having an animal does legitimately allow the person to otherwise function normally, just as you are so fortunately able to do without help. Yes, there are some people that abuse the system, but oh well, that's the price we pay. There are some people who "abuse" the speed limit and go 70 in a 65, should we bnow crackdown hard on cars?

Old 07-28-2018, 08:23 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pbs...e-service-dogs

Unfortunately I think it is time for handlers to carry an ID that states their dog is certified to be a service dog.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:39 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,618,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
About time, there's always gotta be someone that ruins it for everyone else.

Publix announces new service dog policy - Story | WOFL
Here is a really good video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gYGLBGuuX0

Old 07-28-2018, 10:35 PM

324 posts, read 270,917 times
From ADA website:

Q31. Are stores required to allow service animals to be placed in a shopping cart?
A. Generally, the dog must stay on the floor, or the person must carry the dog. For example, if a person with diabetes has a glucose alert dog, he may carry the dog in a chest pack so it can be close to his face to allow the dog to smell his breath to alert him of a change in glucose levels.

Q32. Are restaurants, bars, and other places that serve food or drink required to allow service animals to be seated on chairs or allow the animal to be fed at the table?
A. No. Seating, food, and drink are provided for customer use only. The ADA gives a person with a disability the right to be accompanied by his or her service animal, but covered entities are not required to allow an animal to sit or be fed at the table.

Old 07-28-2018, 11:41 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I can honestly say, I've never seen a dog in a grocery cart. That's not a service dog so why would any store allow that. I have seen many service dogs in stores though, but they walk next to their owner
Ive seen it. It didn’t really bug me so much more than roll my eyes. But remember when service animals were large dogs, often labs, wearing a vest and working? I’m pretty sure that designer pup cant tell you when to cross the street safely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies