Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2018, 11:46 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well they should due to people abusing the laws and protections. A lap dog isn't a service dog, it is a pet.
A company could get sued royally for asking that.

Even if the person being asked is abusing the service dog laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 12:02 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
This sound quite horrible and mean.......what about people who NEED to have their
emotional-comfort-animal with them????

The ADA covers Service Animals, not emotional support animals.

Q3. Are emotional support, therapy, comfort, or companion animals considered service animals under the ADA?

A. No. These terms are used to describe animals that provide comfort just by being with a person. Because they have not been trained to perform a specific job or task, they do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.

Old 07-29-2018, 12:05 AM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
A company could get sued royally for asking that.

Even if the person being asked is abusing the service dog laws.
They can, however, ask if it is a service animal required because of a disability.

Old 07-29-2018, 12:16 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
They can, however, ask if it is a service animal required because of a disability.
But they must make sure to ask exactly correct, or risk facing a ridiculous lawsuit over it. That means Publix will be relying on thousands of people of various skills, education, and ability, to ask a question that can result in a lawsuit against Publix.

While I am all for disability rights, I think it has gone way overboard in many areas.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:50 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'll see one or two most times I am in a store and see the cart based "service dog" people. The worst part is stores just ask if it is a service animal and don't ask for paperwork. If you need an emotional support animal, just use the click and go options or get food delivered, most stores have one if not both.

that is because the ADA does not allow people to ask anything other than

is that a service animal

what is it trained to handle disability wise.

beyond that they are not allowed to ask for papers on the dog, and they are not allowed to refused service to someone with a service dog.

i think that true service animals do need to be properly trained and certified, and should have a proper vest issued by the government when the animal passes its certification.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:59 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,902,831 times
I hope the airlines adopt the new Publix policy.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:04 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
When people abuse the rules, that’s when others have to suffer.

I have seen shoppers with Pitt Bulls at Publix and Target and I’m sorry but that were comfort dogs and not service dogs.

In Europe it is more common to bring a small dog to a restaurant and we brought ours too. The lay under the table and never bothered anyone.

Others did the same. No issue. Big dog owners usually sat outside with their dogs and no issues either. But it seems their is overhere an overwhelming increase of what now is a comfort dog and where they have to be brought.

A shopping cart is not for dogs. That’s just common sense.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:59 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
When did humans become so unstable that almost everyone needs a dog to keep them sane?

And I mean that not in a snarky way. WTH is happening to the general population? How have our lives become so flipping difficult we can't cope without Sparky???

And I don't mean veterans. Service animals are a helpful solution for PTSD.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:00 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,585,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Here is a really good video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gYGLBGuuX0
I gave this a listen, and was actually pretty much on board with her message, until around 9:25-ish, when she started ranting about "liberal snowflakes." At that point, she kind of goes off the rails, for a few reasons.

A. The big one. This is not a left/right issue. One thing I have noticed, on this board and others, if there's any topic that defies the usual political tribalism, it's pets. Do you see some sort of divide here, with conservatives on one side condemning fake service dogs, and liberals on the other, defending them? I don't. They seem to annoy everyone, except, of course, those who actually have one.

B. Tree has sort of contradicted herself. She seems to be anti-regulation, yet some of the actions she suggests that people take would lead to...more regulation. That's fine - it's probably the only way to stop people who want to pass off family pets as service animals - but you can't be both for and against something. Laws against fake service animals are useless until there is some kind of uniform definition of what a service animal is, and how the animal achieves that status. I know many people consider regulation a dirty word, but it's probably the only thing that is going to solve this problem.

C. Her argument that the way to tell a fake service dog from a real one is bogus. While it is true that all real service dogs are well-behaved, it is not true that all non-service dogs are badly-behaved. Some plain old pets have impeccable manners. That makes them a lot more pleasant to be around, but it doesn't make them service dogs.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:55 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
Last time I checked, if you have anxiety the RX is

Celexa
Lexapro
Prozac
Zoloft
Effexor
Tofranil
Neurontin
Lyrica

Not a French poodle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies