Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 09:30 AM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
This sound quite horrible and mean.......what about people who NEED to have their
emotional-comfort-animal with them????
Yes, just as I imagine there are some grown adults who are also dependent on pacifiers or dolls for emotional support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 09:33 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Hopefully, the new clarification will stop some of the abuses but if not, I'm afraid the day will come when a government issued "license" will be required.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:38 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'll see one or two most times I am in a store and see the cart based "service dog" people. The worst part is stores just ask if it is a service animal and don't ask for paperwork. If you need an emotional support animal, just use the click and go options or get food delivered, most stores have one if not both.
It is against the Americans with Disabilities Act to force customers to provide paperwork proving their animal is a service animal. I worked for a company that was very strict on this issue. We could ask a customer if the animal was a service animal and that was it.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:45 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Hopefully, the new clarification will stop some of the abuses but if not, I'm afraid the day will come when a government issued "license" will be required.
Agree. When a few more faker dogs hurt someone it will likely gain traction. Especially if it's a viral video.

Disabled people with service dogs might actually push for licenses too, so they can distinguish themselves from the fakers.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:48 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
I would posit that these are likely to also be the folks who sometimes leave their dogs in the car when it's 90 degrees and they crack the windows one inch. Selfish people, precisely the sort who see an opportunity to abuse a privilege extended to people with true disabilities.
Yes, I've seen people who leave their dogs in cars in 90 degree weather.

My dog goes with me everywhere. He thinks its his dog given right to do so. As long as I stay in the car with him (like trips to post office, drug store and bank drive up windows, etc), it doesn't matter what the temperature is as I can always turn on the A/C.

However, going to places like the grocery is a different matter. Of course he normally goes with me there and sits in the car while I'm inside the store. Unless its over 80. Then, despite his objections, he stays home. No exceptions.

Old 07-29-2018, 03:37 PM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Yes, I've seen people who leave their dogs in cars in 90 degree weather.

My dog goes with me everywhere. He thinks its his dog given right to do so. As long as I stay in the car with him (like trips to post office, drug store and bank drive up windows, etc), it doesn't matter what the temperature is as I can always turn on the A/C.

However, going to places like the grocery is a different matter. Of course he normally goes with me there and sits in the car while I'm inside the store. Unless its over 80. Then, despite his objections, he stays home. No exceptions.
And what happens when the AC suddenly stops working, as it did for our car last week? Leave your dog at home. I've confronted people who've had their dogs in oppressively hot cars with the windows up or nearly all the way up where the temperature does not drop. Brain damage happens in a matter of minutes. I'm putting a metal bar in my vehicle now. I'd dare a DA to bring charges against me for breaking the window to save a pet. Dare them. There'd be an public campaign the likes of which had never been seen in these parts if he/she was stupid enough to proceed. It goes without saying that with a child in the car, I wouldn't even hesitate to break the window.

Old 07-29-2018, 03:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Grocery stores where I live absolutely, positively do not allow animals into the store. If you are blind or otherwise, a store attendant takes you around and assists you. Otherwise, park the mutt outside.
That is against federal law. And from my quick glance at Montana's law, it is against the state law as well (which the state law is actually more liberal than federal law).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I agree with what many others have already stated: I have no problem with people who are blind or otherwise legitimately disabled bringing their service dogs into the store.

For all others: Leave your damn dogs at home!!

I have a co-worker whose wife got a doctor to write a note that she "needs" her dog with her at all times for emotional support so they can bring the dog with them on airplane flights. Totally a "fake" note as she just was looking for a way to be able to have the dog sit with them when they fly. People are selfish a-z-z-h-o-l-e-s.
Dog and cats have generally always been allowed on flights, just as long as they fit under the seat.

Old 07-29-2018, 03:39 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
And what happens when the AC suddenly stops working, as it did for our car last week? Leave your dog at home. I've confronted people who've had their dogs in oppressively hot cars with the windows up or nearly all the way up where the temperature does not drop. Brain damage happens in a matter of minutes. I'm putting a metal bar in my vehicle now. I'd dare a DA to bring charges against me for breaking the window to save a pet. Dare them. There'd be an public campaign the likes of which had never been seen in these parts if he/she was stupid enough to proceed. It goes without saying that with a child in the car, I wouldn't even hesitate to break the window.
The poster you responded did say "as long as I am in the car with him..."

Old 07-29-2018, 03:40 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
We have become such a screwed up society that people now need to carry around a dog, cat, snake , or bird to let them function ? It has gotten crazy out of hand.

Yes, people who are blind or have some body problem that requires a dog ON A LEASH to function is one thing, but a weak minded person who thinks they will fall apart without their animal sitting in the same grocery cart I put my food in is bizarre and needless.

These snake carriers are ruining it for people who legitimately need a service animal. Bet if I told my boss I needed my cat to be with me to function at work I would find out real quick what his answer would be.

Would you say the same if you some some poor person, who is shivering, terrified and falling-apart, because they were not allowed to have their emotional-comfort-animal with them????

Old 07-29-2018, 04:33 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Last time I checked, if you have anxiety the RX is

Celexa
Lexapro
Prozac
Zoloft
Effexor
Tofranil
Neurontin
Lyrica

Not a French poodle.

perhaps people dont want drugs forced down their throats, and find that a trained service dog works better without the drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Grocery stores where I live absolutely, positively do not allow animals into the store. If you are blind or otherwise, a store attendant takes you around and assists you. Otherwise, park the mutt outside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It's against the law in the USA for any business to deny entry for a legit service animal. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Maybe you saw a store employee in MT helping a blind person which doesn't have a service animal and assumed the service animal was denied entry. Not every disabled person has a service animal.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...t-animals.html
Montana state law and federal law requires service dogs and animals to be allowed in public places.

sware is right, that is a violation of state and federal laws across the country. if the animal is declared to be a service animal then the store cannot block the animal from entering the store, BY LAW. if they do the store can be sued under the ADA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post

perhaps licensing would not be such a bad thing to prevent everyone from claiming their dog is a proper service dog when it isnt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies