Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 09:29 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeleroo View Post
This board will call you racist but let me tell you other successful blacks do the same thing. They know not to live in all black areas either.

I think many of the people who claim to not be racist have never lived around blacks, or any minority. Someone from Vermont cannot really know if they're racist because they've never really been around anything but their own.

I don't think the fact that NE is rural holds up as an excuse.. Look at the chart posted on where blacks live and find the Missippi river. Explain rural to that chart.

Upper NE never went black because it never had raw industry and it's leaders didn't want them. Thats the hard truth. Come down to Greenville, Atlanta or Memphis if you want to see what NE would look like otherwise. Your politics kept you isolated but now Greenville and Atlanta are booming and NE is sort of in idle as are most all white areas as America changes andcwinners and losers trade places.

Most black people live in majority black areas no matter their income level.

FYI - on the bold, there are middle class black neighborhoods filled with professional, educated, bourgoisie black people in America and there has always been these sorts of neighborhoods and even entire towns/sections of cities filled with them.

A wealthier black person can always find a wealthy black neighborhood to live in if they reside in a major metropolitan area. And there are still majority black small towns in this country. I mentioned my family has been in Ohio since the 1840s - but I have a branch on my dad's side that has been here since the 1820s. They were granted land as a result of Revolutionary War service and they and other black people moved to a particular community that became an all black rural community. There were many all black rural communities in the Midwest in particular and there have always been all black communities in this country since the 18th century as black people often lived together for safety reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 09:31 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
So you regard Black people as a whole as dangerous? You would judge the average Black person based on the very worst of the Black population? Look, I'm not asking you to live in a 70% Black area. No one is asking you to do that. However, the message I'm getting from you that you regard all Black people as dangerous. And if that is what you think, then yes, I could call you a racist.
We all work by statistics. The chance that a young black male will be violent is 4 times bigger than white young male and 8 times than Asian young male.
I'm trying to reduce my chances to get hurt.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The intent of the group promoted in the article is:

That's the goal. Everything else is just rationalizations for doing that. And the core rationalization - that having lots more run-of-the-mill minorities in the population would attract talented minorities - is obviously racist, not to mention absurd.

Not asburd - see my post earlier. I know I wouldn't move to a 98% white town. Not because I think anything negative (or suprerior/inferior) of white people - but just because I like living around black people in general. My cousin moved away not because she hated or disliked white people but because she missed black people and our cultural activities, businesses, and in person relationships.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:39 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Not asburd - see my post earlier. I know I wouldn't move to a 98% white town. Not because I think anything negative (or suprerior/inferior) of white people - but just because I like living around black people in general. My cousin moved away not because she hated or disliked white people but because she missed black people and our cultural activities, businesses, and in person relationships.
That is understandable. It sounds like they learned something about themselves through the experience. It doesn't make the area wrong because it wasn't for them. In vast America there should be something for everyone.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 1,575 times
Quote:
Most black people live in majority black areas no matter their income level.

FYI - on the bold, there are middle class black neighborhoods filled with professional, educated, bourgoisie black people in America and there has always been these sorts of neighborhoods and even entire towns/sections of cities filled with them.

A wealthier black person can always find a wealthy black neighborhood to live in if they reside in a major metropolitan area. And there are still majority black small towns in this country. I mentioned my family has been in Ohio since the 1840s - but I have a branch on my dad's side that has been here since the 1820s. They were granted land as a result of Revolutionary War service and they and other black people moved to a particular community that became an all black rural community. There were many all black rural communities in the Midwest in particular and there have always been all black communities in this country since the 18th century as black people often lived together for safety reasons.
You may be correct about most. I've yet to see a black person make six figures and beyond and stay close to the "hood". Every last one has said Hell no I am not going back there. Your mileage may vary.

This has nothing to do with race but humans in general. The white folks at the Bank aren t staying the trailer park. Foolish to think they would.

The NE doesn't understand this because it has no blacks poor or rich, or very few with which to see this occur.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:53 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying. I have heard of black professionals who came to Vermont subsequently choosing to leave for the same reasons. They didn't realize beforehand what it would feel like being the only black people in town despite their white neighbors welcoming them. I have also read accounts of poor black families coming here so as to raise their kids in a safer environment than where they came from. They too had adjustment issues given the magnitude of the demographic change. That's something you can't fully know until you experience it.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:01 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
We all work by statistics. The chance that a young black male will be violent is 4 times bigger than white young male and 8 times than Asian young male.
I'm trying to reduce my chances to get hurt.
In short, because I am a young Black man, you will regard me as a threat. That is the message I get from you.

Personally, I don't give a crap about statistics. Statistics aren't inherently racist. What I care about are individuals I have to deal with.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:03 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
You may be correct about most. I've yet to see a black person make six figures and beyond and stay close to the "hood". Every last one has said Hell no I am not going back there. Your mileage may vary.

This has nothing to do with race but humans in general. The white folks at the Bank aren t staying the trailer park. Foolish to think they would.

The NE doesn't understand this because it has no blacks poor or rich, or very few with which to see this occur.
No Black person with a large amount of money is going to stay in a slummy area. It doesn't matter if that area is predominantly Black or predominantly White. I don't see any middle-upper class Blacks trying to live around the trailer park segment of the White population. And as you say, no White person with alot of money wants to be in the trailer parks either.

As for northern New England, it is what it is, and I don't care.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:09 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
It's quite obvious where the "array" of problems is located and it isn't caused by whites in the NE.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:

My husband and I together make close to or over 6 figures annually (he owns his own business so it depends on the year for him whether or not we make it). We live in "the hood" lol.

Blacks and whites in America are very different at times when it comes to the way we view "community" in particular. Both my husband and I grew up in what would be considered "the ghetto." Since we have been together (nearly 20 years now! ) we have lived in various places - including more rural "exurban" places, suburban places, and urban places. We prefer urban areas in black neighborhoods. We also prefer to not spend a lot of money on housing costs because we like to travel and do other things with our money. So for the past 10 years we've lived in predominantly black, urban, inner city neighborhoods.

There are actually studies that show that black families who make $75k or more annually are much more likely to live in a lower income, urban area than white families. This is due to a lot of factors but one of the biggest is actually a desire to "give back." Contrary to what many people believe, black people are very into giving back to our people and communities. This includes many of us who make a decent income. We want to be role models and show the youth that they do not have to follow or buy into a stereotype of what it means to be black (whether it is a ghetto stereotype or what black people call a "bougee" or "uppity" stereotype - and note that being "uppity" in attitude is something much more common with black America than non-black people would know).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies