Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 08:48 AM

19,388 posts, read 12,033,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
black culture doesn't sync with all white Noreaster states. When's the last time you heard of a black person from Vermont? lol... The liberal northeast supports the black movement as long as they stay out of their "areas". Odd how black people don't recognize that.
Who's stopping them? If you don't like their culture don't move there, same as anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 08:52 AM

13,611 posts, read 20,667,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Who's stopping them? If you don't like their culture don't move there, same as anywhere else.
Exactly.

Is this even an issue?

Old 07-31-2018, 08:55 AM

34,120 posts, read 18,368,689 times
The Progressive movement, including the Media, DNC, and their rich puppet masters are making a living at demonizing Whites, and anything traditionally American. They justify this punishment, and retribution for the perceived years of "advantages" White people, especially white MALES have had in Western society. This is why men have also been the brunt of media, and entertainment demonization for decades.

So if you are a White, Male you bear two versions of Original Sin in the minds of Progressives. These two sins can never be relinquished, but the narrative is that if you live your life in a constant apology, and Virtue Signaling for being born a White, Male you at least can still be allowed to exist in their perverted world. This is why we see many progressive, castrated, emasculated males led by the nose by their feminist counterparts.

Old 07-31-2018, 09:01 AM

9,208 posts, read 4,991,497 times
This "white privilege" meme is ridiculous. I had no choice being born white. Not only that, I have worked for every single thing I've acquired in my life. In other words, I earned what I have. Nothing was given to me.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:33 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,746,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
No. Living in a cold Northern city is not at all the same with living in a cold rural area where there is no public transportation and driveways need to be shoveled out after snowstorms.

Blacks moved to Detroit originally for the auto factory work, then stayed because it's a super cheap city to live in. And the same goes for the other northern cities you listed.

You really can't compare cities to rural areas.

You must have never been to Detroit or any Great Lakes state lol. Again, my family has lived in the Great Lakes region since the 19th century. We have always had a need to shovel lol. We have long driveways, we have suburbs that many black people stay in (there are pockets of black people in nearly every rural-esque suburban community where I live) and they have snow blowers and tractors just like our whit neighbors to get rid of snow. I personally love the look of snow and don't get cold at all. As green_mariner mentioned, it depends on the person - not the race. I'm black. I lived in the southeast for nearly 20 years. I'd never move back because it is too hot there for me. I know many people who plan to move out of the south (or already have) because they are from the Midwest or just think it is too hot. Summers down south IMO are worse than winters. I'd rather shovel than feel like I'm sweating to death or not be able to go outside. The current summer we're in - we've had about 2 weeks of "hot" weather (over 90 degrees). Down south that would have started in April lol. I get to enjoy the outdoors now. When I get older though, I do plan on being a "snow bird" and living somewhere else during the winter - I'd like to live somewhere different every year while I can but we are also looking at buying a condo somewhere cheap right now for this purpose and using VRBO or AirBnB or a real estate company to rent it out for us since we're not retired yet.

You don't seem to have any idea what it is like in the Midwest. We don't have great public transportation - where I live it is horrible. In Ohio only Cleveland has commuter trains - Detroit doesn't and they don't have good public transportation either. We shovel. We walk in the cold. We shovel. They have "lake effect snow" in Cleveland - which is a majority black city (over 50% black). Cleveland has some wealthier majority black suburbs as well. People who grow up in the Midwest are used to to dealing with snow regardless of race.

It is silly to think it is the snow/cold that is stopping black people from moving to New England. Snow and cold really isn't that big of a deal and it is fun to play in/sled on.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeleroo View Post
The hard truth these folks are going to have to admit is leaders in NE never wanted minorities up there. That is why they remain nearly 100% one demographic. And that's ok, this is America. Blacks and yellow purple people have lived elsewhere and will still do so.

But rural, city, lake shore and downtown excuses don't matter. Blacks went where folks wanted them. In the South that often mean clumped together. In the Midwest it meant in the factory.

I am positive many slaves would have went straight up to Maine. Maine made sure there was no easy way that happened. Just be honest, you can't make fun of TN but ME believed the same things when it came down to it.

Now that has effects because blacks are on the way up, hence Nashville rocking and NE losing population.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peeleroo View Post
I don't think all people up there are all one way or the other. Just like everywhere you have people with different ideas. Here is what NE did wrong as I see it.

In the 60s and 70s it did not welcome a newly freed population. CA did somewhat and many people point to the watts riots and said "oh hell no, keep them in the South." Even after 1993, those riots in LA had major effects where folks pulled out of LA and damn sure made towns white wherever they landed. but CA did open up even if it did not workout as they liked.

So in the 50s til 80s there was a debate on how to bring blacks out of the South. New england seems to have decided to skip bringing any up there. I don't know why but CA experience always resonates nationally. Perhaps they saw that and stuff like Birmingham and decided it was not worh the risk.

Second is that since 1990 the country has moved frantically and daramatically to multi ethnic communities including a rising in wealth black class. Overwhelmingly this black class exists in the South. So all that wealth is not distributed to Maine or California. All the Koreans in houston and Dallas and Atlanta are not branching out to places like New Hampshire. Silicon Valley and LA did bring on multiculturalism with mixed results. San Jose benefited quite a bit but LA has not really done much.

Then since 1990s white birth rates have started declining. So you have a situation where NE is in a bad spot. It didn't grab a share of the multicultural foundation laid down from 1990 on, abd now it's got a population with declining numbers.

Did it all happen because of racism? No. But the areas where people, and typically including elite new Englanders, think of as backward and racist are now exploding with goobal populations and wealth. Houston is one example. Charlotte is another. NE if it is really serious about confronting a declining future should reach out to its southern sisters for advice.

On this not sure where you are getting your info in regards to there being a "debate on how to bring blacks out of the south." There was no debate - the Great Migration of black people to northern/western states occurred because employers had shortages of workers in their industries so they went out and advertised for workers in the south and didn't exclude black workers. They lured a decent amount of black people to their areas. Once those black people were there - they were the ones who lured the rest to these regions by bringing their family, then encouraging their friends to join them.

I wouldn't say that New England was more racist or unwelcoming than the rest of the country - only that they didn't have the labor shortages then that other areas had because they were not areas where a lot of large scale manufacturing occurred - auto manufacturers and their equipment/supplier factories were huge draws for black people and even whites from Appalachia in the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic states.

Contrary to what you may believe, historically, black Americans have never really been wanted anywhere just because people liked us lol. Our ancestors moved to where the jobs were at.

The "Reverse Great Migration" occurring right now of black people moving to the south (including myself as I was in this as well) is occurring for the same reason - access to jobs in particular industries/fields. Once one of us moves there and it is true - there are a lot of jobs - we will encourage other black people to move there. I did the same thing and some of my aunts and cousins moved to metro Atlanta because I moved there and they came and visited, liked it, found a job easily so stayed. FWIW many of them are also looking to move to other areas because job opportunities aren't as plentiful in the metro. Many of my family members who moved to Atlanta have subsequently moved to the Dallas or Houston metro areas in Texas, to Phoenix AZ, to Charlotte NC, and some even have recently moved back to the Midwest, especially Detroit and Columbus OH.

If they seriously are having a job shortage in New England and there are a lot of jobs - they can advertise on minority media outlets/job boards and see about getting some people to move there and if it is a nice area - then the minorities will bring their friends/families. My cousin who moved to New England, she liked it there okay, but there wasn't a ton of jobs there that she could tell other friends/families about.

I'll also note that Boston actually did receive a large amount of black workers come to that area during The Great Migration (1910-1990).

Historically there actually have been black people in New England for many centuries. Most of the New England states had a system of slavery through the Revolutionary period (many beyond that - NY didn't abolish slavery until 1827). There were and are long standing free black communities there and cities like Boston in particular were bastions of where black American culture began to be formed in regards to the cultural tenet of activism in particular. Black activism began as a result of black people in New England, the Midwest (in smaller numbers), and the Mid-Atlantic (in larger numbers) being highly active in "community uplift," advocating for educational opportunities for free black children, and the total abolition of slavery - they actually started the underground rail road. So there is a long legacy of black history in New England that could and can be used to solidify the fact that black people "belong" and had a hand in the formation of those areas as well. I agree thought that there shouldn't be a "push" for blacks to move there just because - but if employers want to advertise to a more diverse population, I see no reason for them not to.

Old 07-31-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
black culture doesn't sync with all white Noreaster states. When's the last time you heard of a black person from Vermont? lol... The liberal northeast supports the black movement as long as they stay out of their "areas". Odd how black people don't recognize that.

What black movement? lol

See post above - there have always been black people in New England though in not as large a number as other places. Most who moved away did so for jobs/career opportunities.

Blacks will move to New England for jobs/career opportunties if they are available.

I'll note as well that if the cost of living isn't too high. I'd have no problem living in a diverse place in New England - like a suburb but it would have to not be super expensive. I have old college friends who live in the Tri-State area of NY and it is super expensive. Most live in Conneticut, also have some family that live in Providence, RI (which has a long black history - one of my ancestors fought in a RI regiment during the Civil War and they also had a RI regiment of all black soldiers in the Revolution).

Old 07-31-2018, 12:05 PM

I'll also note that where I live in Ohio - in 1900 the black population was under 2%. My family as noted has lived here in some form or fashion since the 1840s.

It wasn't until the Great Migration and a large amount of manufacturing jobs became available that black people moved here in large numbers. We are on Lake Erie and get VERY cold in the winter. I live 2 hours from Canada by car. Our population has remained in the 20-25% black category for decades - since around the 1960s.

Most of my paternal ancestors moved here due to job opportunities between 1910-1920. My first paternal ancestor came here in 1918. He worked for a car parts manufacturer - he told all the family in SC about the jobs here - he initially was planning on moving to Detroit - but felt that where we live was smaller and it was a better environment. All his children, their children and most of his cousins moved here by 1930. Same thing occurred with my maternal family who moved here from Tennesse. My 2nd great grandfather moved here for railroad jobs in the 1920s. He told his brother about jobs. His brother moved here too - his son my great grandfather was brought up for an education here as it was better than what he was receiving in KY where the family lived at the time. 4 of my 2nd great grandfather's cousins also moved here - they brought their wives/families and many of their friends moved here after that by 1940.

There is always a pattern for black people to move places - jobs, family member moves - reports on job opportunities, more family members move - tell their friends of opportunities, friends move - community develops.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:42 PM

25,740 posts, read 16,359,436 times
I’m sure our respect for the law, our lack of littering, how clean we keep our houses and yards is a big source of irritation for others. I hope they can deal.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:49 PM

72,814 posts, read 62,135,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Again with this garbage based on one experience. It's not about one example. It's about the truth. Which you don't seem to get.
My grandparents experience isn't just one experience. Millions of Blacks left the South to go north between 1910 and 1970. If cold is such a problem, Michigan wouldn't have 1.4 million Blacks living there. And the Detroit aren't isn't the only place they're living in either. Minnesota's Black population would not have jumped from 95,000 in 1990 to 275,000 in 2010, and counting. And it isn't just the Twin Cities seeing the increase either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies