Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 07:57 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Again, I am aware of a lot of crazy published in papers.... in general. So another crazy paper is just that.

BTW..... why are you reading all of those?
Where in the world did I sat I read all those? The ones I do read are hilarious. Do you like to be entertained. They're tenfold funnier than anything Hollywood cranks out these days. Have you seen those remarkably unfunny stiffs doing late-night TV, too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 07:58 PM

2,448 posts, read 893,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Agreed to the point of why even bother posting nonsense about what some attention seeker is yammering about?
By that standard, this entire forum should disappear.

Old 07-31-2018, 02:18 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Agreed to the point of why even bother posting nonsense about what some attention seeker is yammering about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43
Exactly.

Why post it? First of all, it's entertaining. Secondly, your tax dollars go to support this kind of 'educational' activity. Thirdly, it shows what happens when liberalism is pushed to its logical consequences.

Lastly, it could be asked: why respond if you don't think it should have been posted in the first place?

Old 07-31-2018, 03:18 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Why post it? First of all, it's entertaining. Secondly, your tax dollars go to support this kind of 'educational' activity. Thirdly, it shows what happens when liberalism is pushed to its logical consequences.

Lastly, it could be asked: why respond if you don't think it should have been posted in the first place?
Kindly cite the tax dollars source. Does not appear to be one.

Old 07-31-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Kindly cite the tax dollars source. Does not appear to be one.
This is why I specifically said "this kind of educational activity."

This study is said to come from the Portland Ungendering Research Initiative, which as the Reason link notes, does not have a web site. So I can't tell you where they get their funding. But generally, if it's higher ed, it's probably at least partially funded by tax dollars (except for Hillsdale College).

Here are some examples of how tax dollars go to this kind of educational activity.
https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/m...rs-are-funding

Old 07-31-2018, 03:40 PM

Quote:
This is why I specifically said "this kind of educational activity."

This study is said to come from the Portland Ungendering Research Initiative, which as the Reason link notes, does not have a web site. So I can't tell you where they get their funding. But generally, if it's higher ed, it's probably at least partially funded by tax dollars (except for Hillsdale College).

Here are some examples of how tax dollars go to this kind of educational activity.
https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/m...rs-are-funding
You are citing generalities which have no bearing on this particular publication which looks to be a phony with no tax support. So your point is simply irrelevant.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
You are citing generalities which have no bearing on this particular publication which looks to be a phony with no tax support. So your point is simply irrelevant.
I cited examples of how taxpayer dollars are wasted in academia. This was a paper published in an academic journal. I'm surprised you can't see the connection between the two.

The Reason writer looked into the paper and found that (contrary to the writer's expectation) it was NOT a 'phony.' As far as I know, no one has refuted that conclusion.
https://reason.com/blog/2018/06/11/d...n-wilson-study

As I said before, I don't know whether this particular project got tax support. But you say that it "looks to be a phony with no tax support." Can you cite a source showing that there was no tax support?

Old 07-31-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
I cited examples of how taxpayer dollars are wasted in academia. This was a paper published in an academic journal. I'm surprised you can't see the connection between the two.

The Reason writer looked into the paper and found that (contrary to the writer's expectation) it was NOT a 'phony.' As far as I know, no one has refuted that conclusion.
https://reason.com/blog/2018/06/11/d...n-wilson-study

As I said before, I don't know whether this particular project got tax support. But you say that it "looks to be a phony with no tax support." Can you cite a source showing that there was no tax support?
There are no real indications that the cited organization or the author's PhD actually exist.

None existent organizations generally do not have government support.

And it still appears the whole thing is a put up job.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=11158

Old 07-31-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
There are no real indications that the cited organization or the author's PhD actually exist.

None existent organizations generally do not have government support.
From the Reason piece:

Quote:
The study was recently published in Gender, Place and Culture, a peer-reviewed journal. It is not, as I first suspected, a Sokal-esque hoax, though author Helen Wilson makes clear that it is "mostly qualitative in nature and did not make use of rigorous statistical analysis," casting doubt on its overall scientific merit. Wilson describes herself as a full-time researcher and part-time diversity activist. The only affiliation she lists is with the Portland Ungendering Research Initiative, which doesn't even have a website. Nevertheless, there are some actual data in the study, and plenty of academic citations.

The journal and the paper indisputably both exist. Again, cite your source showing that there was no tax funding involved, since you make the claim.

Old 07-31-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
From the Reason piece:

The journal and the paper indisputably both exist. Again, cite your source showing that there was no tax funding involved, since you make the claim.
see edit above.

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=11158
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies