Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 10:23 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I'm surprised you went to such great lengths to respond. So you can make a gun out of scrap metal. Good for you, but most people wouldn't have the knowledge, time, etc. to do so. This is push a button and print, something a 5 year old could do. No comparison in my book. And this just shows what lengths humans will go for profit. Sad IMO.
That is the issue I see. A 3-D wouldn't even need to be owned, more or less in access (whether a friend loans it or theft) and access to the internet. Much easier barrier. And with the technology that can come from a 3-D printer revolution (which has long been bandied about but not much has come from it due to economies of scale). The issue I see is we are on the verge where science fiction can become science fact very soon with the use of a ghost gun that can get through modern security measures...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 10:25 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Lol won't happen.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:37 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,279,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
That is the issue I see. A 3-D wouldn't even need to be owned, more or less in access (whether a friend loans it or theft) and access to the internet. Much easier barrier. And with the technology that can come from a 3-D printer revolution (which has long been bandied about but not much has come from it due to economies of scale). The issue I see is we are on the verge where science fiction can become science fact very soon with the use of a ghost gun that can get through modern security measures...
Why can't people who love guns just be happy with going out and buying them the "correct" way, registered ewtc. Any idea that circumvents this, and I am not talking about extreme legislation taking guns away, is simply nonsensical.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,019,001 times
Quote:
This is push a button and print, something a 5 year old could do. No comparison in my book. And this just shows what lengths humans will go for profit. Sad IMO.

The first issue is you are trying to apply two set of rules simply based on ease of use. The second issue is you can not prevent the spread of information and technology, in particular information. You might as well ban .mp3's because they may be used for illegal purposes. If that were the case how difficult do you think it would be for someone to obtain an .mp3 that has no regards for the law?

You are trying to play the world's largest game of whack-a-mole and you cannot possibly win no matter what you do.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
It will be taken down behind the scenes by the NRA.

The only way this tech can be taken down is by the government severely restricting access to the technology, not going to happen. Even if you did it won't work if you have someone determined to use it.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:42 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,904,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
If you're lucky it might fire once. You would have to have very expensive 3D printer and very expensive material to make it really work. They mentioned $5,000 to $600,000 for a printer ... There was a discussion on NPR last week and even the anti-gun Tech person said no way that the average Schmo can 3D printed gun and have it work. He also cited the extremely expensive cost of hardware and material.
For now that is true. Many decades from now? Hard to say.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:43 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The first issue is you are trying to apply two set of rules simply based on ease of use. The second issue is you can not prevent the spread of information and technology, in particular information. You might as well ban .mp3's because they may be used for illegal purposes. If that were the case how difficult do you think it would be for someone to obtain an .mp3 that has no regards for the law?

You are trying to play the world's largest game of whack-a-mole and you cannot possibly win no matter what you do.
Actually there is something like this on the books to control and suppress technology.

The Invention Secrecy Act of 1951.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:46 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,309 times
Quote:
Why can't people who love guns just be happy with going out and buying them the "correct" way, registered ewtc. Any idea that circumvents this, and I am not talking about extreme legislation taking guns away, is simply nonsensical.
There is nothing wrong or malicious about making your own guns.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:47 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
^what he said. 3d printing guns is just for ****s n giggles, has no real use except to say you 3D printed a gun. They still have metal parts. The cartridge is still metal. Some of you guys obviously don't understand guns and ammo.

It is an interesting engineering challenge, I always liked those classes where you had to solve a problem with unconventional means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Because that's illegal.

And that's gonna stop someone whose goal is an 'off the books' gun?

Old 07-31-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Why can't people who love guns just be happy with going out and buying them the "correct" way, registered ewtc.

There is no registration for guns where I live, there will be paper trail for the original purchase but that gun can change hands numerous times through private party sales. If my neighbor owns a gun and wants to sell it to me I hand him cash and he hands me the gun. He may require me to go through background check if he wants and it would probably be wise of him if he doesn't know me but it's not required of him to do that. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies