Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 08:20 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,129,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
Sorry, but I doubt Ron Paul would be electable anywhere without a voice transplant. Seriously. If you read his thoughts, they're plausible. Listening to him speak, though, is pure torture.

It's like listening to Ross Perot...and I am a former EDSer.
Oh, I know Ron is a terrible speaker. Rand is way better in that aspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
They are not looking at a normal person. They are profiling Muslim extremists. Yes I support it. If you don't then enjoy the ride into a building!!!

From the article:

Quote:
Federal air marshals have begun following ordinary US citizens not suspected of a crime or on any terrorist watch list and collecting extensive information about their movements and behavior under a new domestic surveillance program that is drawing criticism from within the agency.

The previously undisclosed program, called “Quiet Skies,” specifically targets travelers who “are not under investigation by any agency and are not in the Terrorist Screening Data Base,” according to a Transportation Security Administration bulletin in March.
I know police departments have caps on IQ levels, but still...

Old 07-30-2018, 08:52 PM

18,062 posts, read 27,516,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Born in '79. Parents are both lifelong Democrats.

Non-conformist conservative (hated Clinton and Newt) till 2000.

Anti-federalist (wanted all decisions left up to the states) till 2007.

Libertarian/minarchist (thanks to Ron Paul) till 2012.

Anarcho-capitalist (due to RNC outright manipulating and stealing the election from Ron Paul) ever since.

Doomsday prepper. I can't think of any other title.

I suppose you like movies like Snowden, Air America and such.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

Even though I'm not one, there's nothing wrong with being a prepper. I'd rather be prepared than depend on the government for anything.

Those are pretty good movies. Here's a few more:

-Braveheart (of course)
-Dallas Buyers Club
-The Castle
-Tucker: The Man and His Dream
-Ghostbusters (the original)--the 2nd most libertarian movie ever made
-A Bug's Life--the most libertarian movie ever made

Old 07-30-2018, 09:28 PM

25,934 posts, read 18,937,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post

No, I think "pro liberty, anti-tyranny" would be a better title.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:34 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,646,117 times
I can almost guarantee, we know very very little about the extent of govt spying done on regular citizens, the little details we do have, is probably just the tip of a much larger iceberg, Im sure most of it is highly classified too.

Edward Snowden tried to warn people, but he didnt expect the american people to care so little about this! Its pathetic and sad what we allow this govt to get away with today. The founders must be very disappointed.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:33 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,405,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I can almost guarantee, we know very very little about the extent of govt spying done on regular citizens, the little details we do have, is probably just the tip of a much larger iceberg, Im sure most of it is highly classified too.

Edward Snowden tried to warn people, but he didnt expect the american people to care so little about this! Its pathetic and sad what we allow this govt to get away with today. The founders must be very disappointed.
You need to take the final leap and come over to anarchy. Your distrust of the government and ability to see through b.s. is going to waste in the statist paradigm.

It's great over here. Free donuts on Wednesdays. Come on.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:48 AM

34,258 posts, read 18,638,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
I got no problem with this. Rather be safe than sorry. If doing nothing wrong don't have anything to worry about. Let them watch, observe etc.
I hear this a lot from people. It sounds reasonable at first. However, government often over steps its bounds. People's blind trust of government amazes me. The government are made up of PEOPLE. Sometimes flawed, fallible, sometimes greedy, and ill intended. It is made up of the same people that populate those evil corporations people talk about.

You are giving tremendous power to government over you for the IMAGE of security, and safety. Government plants evidence sometimes. I've had it happen to a friend who happens to be a physician, former Navy pilot, a CFI, and owns his own airplane on his way back into the country from Mexico. The only reason he's not in jail is he was able to videotape them doing it when they were ripping his plane apart.

Old 07-31-2018, 01:11 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,608,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The vast majority of those threats coming from those doing the watching.

This is the kind of surveillance that would take place in a dictatorship.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:03 AM

24,560 posts, read 17,308,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
It was sarcasm, bud. Jesus. It was a shot at the Russia paranoiacs.

The entire point is that Americans actually believe they're “free,” when the reality is that we're anything but. The American police state is real, and most of us would rather argue over inconsequential issues than acknowledge it.

And your submission to the will of the government is the root of the problem. You, like far too many people, are more than willing to relinquish your liberty for a little temporary safety. It's truly mind-blowing.

Of course we are Free. We are free to follow the laws or not.

Is it really submission? I have a choice to get on a plane or not. If I choose to get on a plane then I must accept the security procedures to do so.

Why is that mind blowing? Yes going through security is a pain BUT knowing that everyone else on that plane had to go through the same procedure makes me feel a bit safer that some idiot is not going to pull out a weapon and hijack the plane.

What would you suggest that we do as the world of privacy gets ever smaller?

Do you go shopping? I was in a Walmart a few weeks back and I walked past the baby formula section and a camera clicked on to record me. The same happened when I was in the hardware aisle of a Home Depot. I hate it but guess what those spots in those stores are areas of high theft and the store is trying to protect their merchandise.

So OP do you ever fly? do you ever go shopping? because in a way you are also relinquishing your liberty for a little temporary safety.

What do you suggest we do to fight "the Man" from spying on us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies