Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2018, 11:43 AM

30,157 posts, read 11,789,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Medicare isnt perfect, and the GOP tax cuts will make sure that the out of pocket expenses will be much higher in the coming years as Medicare spending is cut back to "balance the budget after the tax cuts". A Medicare-for-all system would be an improved Medicare system with ideally only a small co-pay per use, like $10 or $20 up to a certain annual limit.

A tax funded system is far superior to paying that money to an insurance company for the majority of the population. Just as the super rich pay plenty in Medicare taxes and little in health insurance premiums, the same would be true in a Medicare-for-all system. A tax funded system can raise a lot of money in a progressive way, a privatized insurance system does not take into account ability to pay. The privatized insurance systems means the billionaire pay the same dollar amount as the elderly widow trying to survive.

What?

An elderly widow gets medicare. They would not pay the same as a billionaire.

Unless the billionaire is also elderly. Which in theory they could also get medicare.

Which would mean both would pay the same under the government run plan today.

Reality is a elderly billionaire could afford to pay for better private care, which is the case in Europe where wealthy people pay for private insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 11:46 AM

88,998 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
What? Just add a small doctor visit fee. Do you think the problem is that some people would still visit the doctor 100 times a year for the kicks?
People on Medicaid call an ambulance just for the free rides instead of paying for a taxi or uber. Medicaid foots the bill, so they believe it's part of their "benefits."

Woman accused of using ambulances for free rides - Live5News.com

Old 07-30-2018, 11:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
People on Medicaid call an ambulance just for the free rides instead of paying for a taxi or uber. Medicaid foots the bill, so they believe it's part of their "benefits."

Counterpoint:

Woman Dies After Medics Assume She Can't Afford Ambulance Ride | The Source

Old 07-30-2018, 11:53 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
What?

An elderly widow gets medicare. They would not pay the same as a billionaire.

Unless the billionaire is also elderly. Which in theory they could also get medicare.

Which would mean both would pay the same under the government run plan today.

Reality is a elderly billionaire could afford to pay for better private care, which is the case in Europe where wealthy people pay for private insurance.
I am talking about a privatized system. A billionaire has paid a lot of money into Medicare. In a privatized system, the billionaire doesnt need to pay anything, just pay out of pocket when treatment is needed. Insurance sure isnt needed. Thats for the peasant classes. A tax funded system can raise money from the well heeled which a privatized system can not. So when you say that you will just have to pay more in taxes so no benefit for you, then you are ignoring that currently, the rich are not paying millions of dollars into the health insurance premium system that make your premiums lower. A tax funded system ensures that people making millions pay more into the system than a poor elderly widow even though they both have the same health care needs.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:53 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,616,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIMgrad View Post
Ridiculous!
Exactly. Well said. I wish I could rep you more for this comment.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:54 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Wrong. My adult daughter was uninsurable before ACA because of a preexisting condition. That is an access issue since doctors would not treat her without proof of insurance. Even when I offered to pay cash.

After ACA was enacted I was able to put her on my policy.
its STILL about insurance. ACA played around the margins with things like pre existing conditions changes. (I agree with that by the way)

but ACA didn't do anything to change the structure. Please note, I said "congress in 50 years). That was no attack on one party or the other.

we have all been sold down the river by those we elected as it relates to healthcare. The answer isn't fixing insurance companies. The answer isn't replacing insurance companies with government insurance (which really is the same thing)

The answer is moving it all back to Doctors and patients. It can be done and should be done but thus far, there are very few people talking about what is right.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:

I guess we need to privatize it then. Just like they've done in every country in the world. Oh wait, they havent. No country has. This is as silly as your obesity and diabetes rant regarding New Zealand. This is just silly distractions.

Old 07-30-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post

The answer is moving it all back to Doctors and patients. It can be done and should be done but thus far, there are very few people talking about what is right.
I can only think of the witch doctors in the Congo having such a system as their health care system. Do you know any other societies where this is the case, absent examples from medieval Europe?

Old 07-30-2018, 11:59 AM

88,998 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:

Here she is (includes mug shot):

https://www.postandcourier.com/archi...da14a1a0c.html

Old 07-30-2018, 12:00 PM

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Yes, a third have it:

https://www.otago.ac.nz/diabetes/otago059631.html

https://www.oecd.org/gov/New-Zealand.pdf

This constant focus on obesity is just a common tactic used by right wingers to distract people from the issue of the corruption, greed, inefficiency and price gouging taking place in the most expensive health care system in the world by a wide margin. Because some people benefit immensely from that corrupt system.
PCALMike, I hate to break it to you but democrats have driven the VAST majority of the changes to laws related to Healthcare since 1970 and the corruption, greed, inefficiency and price gouging are baked into the laws passed.... including ACA which has driven costs up instead of down.

Now, as willing as I am to say that, let me also say Republicans haven't offered up much of anything that does anything different.

As far as I am concerned this isn't a "they are wrong we are right" issue. where Healthcare is concerned both the republicans and democrats have picked very terrible paths that do more harm than good.

We need to change our paradigm and start thinking about the subject differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies