Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2018, 07:19 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Again, I'm not jealous of those wealthier than me. You do not have to be super wealthy to live comfortably, and you really shouldn't be jealous of those with excess wealth as money doesn't buy happiness anyways. I have no intention on relying on any government programs. They'll be icing on the cake, but I'll live off my own accumulated assets.
Intention is one thing. Reality is something entirely different. Lots of people might think they dont have to rely on a public safety net but life happens. Disease, disability, old age nursing costs, getting scammed and/or ripped off by corporations (especially at old age when the brain changes), denied services from an insurance company etc etc. Lots of things can happen to you and you dont have as much control as you think you have. How many Americans are prepared if they lose their wife, they themselves get blind and cant work anymore and they have three kids to take care of? You claim you have everything under control but I think you are underestimating life.

When the public safety nets is destroyed to pay for tax cuts, you can praise yourself that you were not "jealous" but thats not much comfort when you live in misery and dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2018, 07:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Those who had 100,000 in excess income were very wealthy. So your argument is that it’s not that much, what exactly is the poin in an additional 8% tax cut on capital gains. This will once again benefit the wealthy by a large margin, not the small investor.

It’s not fake news, the fact that this will largely benefit the top brackets is not arguable. What is the problem they are attempting to address, was there a shortage of investment income.
Not that--
I think they know after the midterms they are going to be caught between rock and hard place in Congress if not in the Senate
They are just greedy
Want to get what they can while they can
The fact that Congress under Democratic majority is likely to take steps to put screws to Trump threatens them

Old 07-30-2018, 07:22 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
1 trillion in deficit spending this year alone.

No wonder the economy appears to be doing well, we're supercharging it with a credit card.
Yup. Same every time with the GOP, not to give the useless Dems a pass.

But with neocons (there ARE no actual conservatives in American politics anymore, for about 40 years) there seems to be this disconnect:

"Global warming CAN'T be real--it was chilly today!!"

"The economy is doing great! We may be screwing future generations and the working class, but my 401K is looking great!"

It's beyond asinine.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:25 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Not that--
I think they know after the midterms they are going to be caught between rock and hard place in Congress if not in the Senate
They are just greedy
Want to get what they can while they can
The fact that Congress under Democratic majority is likely to take steps to put screws to Trump threatens them
The people who fund these guys (and Mnuchin was the guy who went around and begged for money for Trump's campaign) suffer from a greed that is like cocaine addiction. Its never enough for these people. They have hundreds of millions, often billions but its never enough. Now they are ready to take some more while the elderly, the poor, the disabled and the sick will be the ones who will pay the price.

What if we for once hear a Treasury Secretary mulling to boost SSI so people born disabled no longer have to rely on only $700 a month to survive? Its sickening.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:31 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
Trump Proposes To Give Tax Cuts To Rich
Guess that means it's time to start filling out applications for employment, no?

Old 07-30-2018, 07:33 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
more tricks by the republiCONS. Always trying to stick it to the middle class. The wealthy are doing fine. Is this Trumps Trickle down part 2? Next step is to cut Medicare and social security. and that will help pay for it. they do that and that’s the final straw for most Americans.
Meaning what, specifically.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:02 PM

3,992 posts, read 2,458,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
It's proportional to your investments. I'm not jealous that people have much larger portfolios. I will still benefit and have more money. I don't see it as "crumbs". Inflation hasn't been much so it won't be a significant gain, but I will benefit. Stupid people who don't invest will be left (pun intended) in the dust once again, and I'm fine with that. Maybe they can go begging for "depreciation relief" on their flat screens, phones, and cars.
you know you can craft policies that benefit the middle class without giving a regressive amount to the 1%- that's actually possible..but you seem to be happy with the crumbs...so cheers.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:05 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The people who fund these guys (and Mnuchin was the guy who went around and begged for money for Trump's campaign) suffer from a greed that is like cocaine addiction. Its never enough for these people. They have hundreds of millions, often billions but its never enough. Now they are ready to take some more while the elderly, the poor, the disabled and the sick will be the ones who will pay the price.

What if we for once hear a Treasury Secretary mulling to boost SSI so people born disabled no longer have to rely on only $700 a month to survive? Its sickening.
Don't know if you read much about Trump but he had brother who committed suicide--Fred--
His brother's wife and children were promised they would always be provided with health insurance through the family's resources--
Trump screwed them over royally to get them out of the family estate by threatening to cut their health insurance off and one of the kids really needed it--
Trump is about as desireable a person as the gum you track on the bottom of your shoe...
And Mnunchin is just dumb as a post--but has been pretty lucky in his career because I can't believe he has gained all his success by brain power...
I just think of him a "numb-nut"...

Old 07-30-2018, 08:07 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Talking Trump Proposes To Give Tax Cuts To Rich... MAGA Baby!

His "base" demands it!

One more campaign promise kept.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:53 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
All I can say is that Trump must know his days are numbered. Why else would he slap the middle class in the face with his unilateral proposal to gift the wealthy with this tax cut?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...thy/ar-BBLhtZx

How about it Righties? Deficits don't matter as long as the 1% get theirs, Right?

I don't blame you for not admitting you were played for fools by Trump. His going behind your back to benefit his rich friends while you were bleating about a stupid wall must be very galling.

MAGA baby! MAGA!
Allowing people to keep their own money is “give”?

What in the world are you talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies