Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 07:12 PM

5,039 posts, read 2,251,490 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I posted a bunch of straw memes somewhere, and got one person lecturing me about the danger and ecological damage they do. I get that, really I do, but can you just laugh at the damned meme while you stop using straws? Is it really that hard to find the humor here?

https://me.me/i/hey-kid-wanna-buy-so...47308f1236bc51
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 05:10 AM

58,749 posts, read 27,080,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoni View Post
Old people seem to have a thing for Blazing Saddles. I saw it for the first time recently and I thought it was really lame and boring, it was something that I would expect my grandpa to watch while everyone else just rolls their eyes.

I thought it was like watching 1.5 hours of fart jokes, it was like a real life version of the fake movie from Idiocracy that just showed butts for a couple of hours. If you have the mentality of a 10 year old boy, you might like it.
"Old people seem", " it was something that I would expect my grandpa to watch"

So you base you "opinions" on 1 possible indecent.

I NEVER liked Blazing Saddles. And I am probably as old as your grandpa.

In "our" day, we had REAL comedy from the likes of Red Skeleton, Bob Hope, Jack Benny, Tim Conway, etc. The list is VERY long of TRUE comedians.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:21 AM

10,650 posts, read 4,280,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
He hasn't been funny in 30 years.
I find everything Letterman says funny because his voice is so unique and he's able to make a simple sentence sound hilarious just by altering his tone or changing his facial expression.
He's the #1 comedic genius in the world.
Everybody else is below him.
And he is anti-Trump, and is still able to appeal to me, because he doesn't sound hateful about it.
Actually Trump's sense of humor is also brilliant.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't disagree that he was simply mailing it in for a good while but he was at one time really good at what I noted.
In fact when Letterman was "mailing it in" he was hilarious, because its funny to see someone speaking in such a careless and lazy voice.
Letterman's last 10 years were the best years I've ever seen.
Its the opposite of the manic Colbert, a disgusting and unfunny "goon" as Letterman would say.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:30 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,762,552 times
The problem we have is that comedians who used to be funny, including doing political humor, have gone over the edge so to speak and are now doing rants rather than being funny. Colbert is a great example. He used to be hilarious doing his political comedy and could give it to both sides with great wit and perfect delivery. Now he is just an angry bitter man. He has no humor in him anymore. The wit is gone. There is no comedic delivery. The same can be said for most of the others.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:35 AM

In addition to being hateful, Colbert has shown that he has no idea how to do Trump's voice.
Its incredible how WAY OFF Colbert is with the imitation.
Its like he's trying not to do Trump's voice, and has just made some other character with no connection to Trump's voice.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:41 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,180,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Pc killed comedy"

I guess you don't watch late night TV!

But, I don't think much of what they is "comedy" even though THEY think is funny and the libs soak it up.
What liberals call comedy these days is nothing more than a bad case of TDS.

Old 08-01-2018, 06:46 AM

19,649 posts, read 9,192,474 times
I still think that comedy CAN exist without offending anyone. I think Bob Newhart was a master at it, although I am sure that there are people who could find fault with some of his monologues. Here is my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1KbtLrBZ0k

And do I ever miss the Smothers Brothers -- although they definitely did offend some people!

Old 08-01-2018, 07:07 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,563,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I didn't get that he was saying you had to find it funny, I understood him to be saying that you don't need to find offense in every little thing that someone says - that people are too uptight now and never understand when something is satire anymore.

On the one hand, I get that, because we do have people who say things that you might think is satire but is how they really feel, so it's hard to distinguish the difference anymore.

On the other hand, if everyone would get the hell over themselves, we might get back to the day when we could all laugh at the absurdity that is the human being and what humans do and say.
I understand your point, and agree with much of it. The thing is, the guy in the video seems to me to be viewing the past through the rose-colored glasses of nostalgia. He's yearning for some kind of golden age when everyone appreciated the same comedians, and I am not sure that age has ever existed. There have always been people who liked - and disliked - certain kinds of humor.

Old 08-01-2018, 07:11 AM

13,564 posts, read 4,871,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
People have a different idea of what comedy is and while Seinfeld was never my favorite I think having one of the biggest comedy sitcoms ever probably trumps what I think.
I'm a big fan of the Seinfeld show, but that was all Larry David. If you watch Curb Your Enthusiasm you will see that David is still funny, and not exactly PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies