Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 06:37 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I get that it's important that even our poorest folk have a decent standard of living, but it seems like raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour is going to hurt more people than it helps, especially the working class.

There aren't that many people making $7.35 an hour, or even $8-$9 an hour. There are a ton of people making in the $12-$14 an hour range that don't have a lot, but are making ends meet. Even more people are making in the $15-$17 an hour range, and will see no wage increases while a bunch of people who were making less are now in competition with what they can afford. This will raise rents significantly and make things much more difficult for the lower middle class.

Why can't we propose policies such as raising the minimum wage annually along with inflation, and providing housing subsidies for those who can't afford housing, instead of being reckless?
it doesn't happen all at once in most places and shouldn't. and yes there are many places where jobs start at minimum wage for adults trying to support their families. The ones that were already making $15 can take their skills and ask for a raise or find another job that will pay them more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 06:39 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,074,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
I think your thoughts are the reality of the $15 proposal. People say $15, but it’s sort of an arbitrary number. The minimum wage has not kept up with inflation since the 80s, so it’s a readjustment and then would be pegged to inflation.

The housing subsidies are also liberal, so maybe your beliefs are more liberal than you thought?
A lot of my thoughts are on the liberal side of things, and I pretty much am going to vote for Democratic candidates. I don't think there's anything wrong with this, but I want to make sure that such proposals are actually helpful. I worry that outside of the expensive areas, that a $15 minimum wage is going to do more harm than good for folks making anywhere from $12-$25 an hour. That's a lot of people! I also worry about free college or trade school, since people are immature and paying for classes helps keep them committed. I would like college to be how the Boomers had it though - they could pay tuition from working a summer job (maybe about $200 per credit at a four year public university?)

Old 07-31-2018, 06:47 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Liberals: why are so many of you supporting a $15 minimum wage?
I think a better question might be:

Neocons: why do so many of you so readily demonize the working poor, but are eager for the average taxpayer to subsidize billions of dollars in corporate welfare through entitlements and tax breaks and incentives to companies and industries already more profitable than any in human history?

Why do you support a CEO making literally hundreds of times more than their grunt workers?

Why and how can you support these things which cost taxpayers a fortune, but point your finger at a hardworking family who needs food stamp or Medicaid assistance and say "These lazy scum are going to be the downfall of our economy!!!"

???

Surely not every one of you can be that ignorant and mean-spirited.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I made $5 an hour in 1974 working as a laborer (unskilled) on a house framing site in TN. That would be a low-wage semi-rural area, right???

I made $3.50 an hour in the same place working temp jobs at Manpower..that is as low as you can go, right??

Well, use the inflation calculation (CPI) and you'll see that the $5 is over $25 now and the $3.50 is over $16.

No doubt the brainwashing has taken effect in this country for "the people" to fight against even a LOW wage. Congrats....how low can you go? I think some would approve of chains.
Dead right.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:51 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
I'm guessing you live in an expensive area. Here, a $1200 apartment would have granite countertops and other such luxuries.

I'm starting to be a bit concerned if 30 K a year is almost poverty level. I mean - maybe for a family of four, but for a single person? In a household with two people of working age, they would be making more than 30 K unless one person doesn't work.

I'm all for things such as free healthcare and daycare with slightly higher taxes.
Well...obvious a family of four is different than single!

Some very basic facts.....

Health care in this country costs 11K per person per year.
A child in school cost about 12K per kid per year.
The Military costs about 5-6K per year per household
Other services obviously add to this....

So, family of 4
44K in health care
24 in Schools
6K in Military
------
74K in premiums/costs and taxes need to be PAID to support this family.

A family of one
11K in health care
6K in Military
-------
17K in taxes need to be paid (actually much more - this does not include police, all federal state and local services and much more)....

The real truth is that very few people pay their way in life. It's not what people want to hear, but it's the truth and that is why we are adding a TRILLION dollars in deficit each year to debt...plus the 1.5 that Trump borrowed for a quickie cut....

We are borrowing from future generations...period. With no intention of paying it back either....

That is another good reason for higher wages - higher tax revenues. But given the news of the day, the King of Debt doesn't want to collect enough taxes to pay for what we use.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:53 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
The real minimum wage is $0. For business owners it's negative infinity.
Agreed...except you must add the word "some" when discussing business owners.

Many of us are human beings and make the choice to pay living wages and more. Only "some" would go to zero and negative.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
I would like college to be how the Boomers had it though - they could pay tuition from working a summer job (maybe about $200 per credit at a four year public university?)
That's over. Thanks to privatization and corporatization, everything from colleges and universities to hospitals and clinics now all run on a business model.

Reaping profits is job one. Things like actually providing education and health care are secondary at best in such institutions anymore.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:17 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
That's over. Thanks to privatization and corporatization, everything from colleges and universities to hospitals and clinics now all run on a business model.

Reaping profits is job one. Things like actually providing education and health care are secondary at best in such institutions anymore.
We seem to be at a point where big government and big business are competing to see who gets to screw us harder, and in some cases conspiring with each other to screw us together. I'd rather find a way to stop both of them than fight over which one I'd rather have screwing me.

Old 07-31-2018, 07:20 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Because we’re decent
Decent? In which way forcing people at gunpoint to pay for a service (labor) at above fair market rate is decent, moral or just?

Old 07-31-2018, 07:22 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,035 times
Quote:
I get that it's important that even our poorest folk have a decent standard of living, but it seems like raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour is going to hurt more people than it helps, especially the working class.

There aren't that many people making $7.35 an hour, or even $8-$9 an hour. There are a ton of people making in the $12-$14 an hour range that don't have a lot, but are making ends meet. Even more people are making in the $15-$17 an hour range, and will see no wage increases while a bunch of people who were making less are now in competition with what they can afford. This will raise rents significantly and make things much more difficult for the lower middle class.

Why can't we propose policies such as raising the minimum wage annually along with inflation, and providing housing subsidies for those who can't afford housing, instead of being reckless?
Minimum wage in Australia is 17 dollars an hour with a 5 percent unemployment. Clearly business is booming and working people don't have to take government subsides because cheapskate bosses want to pay as little as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies