Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 09:48 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
I think a federal minimum wage of $15 is fair... if you consider the fact that wages has been stagnant for the past 40 years while all other costs have increased. Now if you consider your personal interests... "whether it's fair to pay this dude flipping burgers versus x", then we'll never solve the problem. Federal government is NOT interested in your own interests. It is interested in society as a whole (i.e. homelessness, poverty, education rates, etc..)
what makes you think wages have been stagnant

uhm

the median household yearly income 1970......$7600 …………..in todays (inflation )dollars ...$49,076.02
Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2018

yet:
the median household yearly income 2018......$61,770.... clearly not any type of stagnation

even the min wage has kept up with inflation
https://www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/chart.htm
min wage at start (oct 1938).. $0.25........ in todays dollars (2018) $4.44

min wage 1945....................$0.40..........in todays dollars .......... $5.57

min wage 1984...................$3.35.........in todays dollars...........$8.08

min wage 1993...................$4.25.........in todays dollars...........$7.37

min wage 1999...................$5.15.........in todays dollars...........$7.74
http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 09:51 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
A $15 floor on wages mean that people making $15 now have a much better bargaining position. A minimum wage hike lifts far more boats than simply the people making minimum wage. Unlike the "trickle down" scam.

bull... it means more people get laid-off

thousands of small businesses are facing situations like this:

Quote:
here is an example of what will happen with this 'raising'

minimum wage is for UNSKILLED currently at 7.20

I pay my UNSKILLED laborers (that clean the shop) over $9 an hour, the min wage is $7.2

an example:

I run a maintenance shop
I have a shop foreman...$24/hr
I have 3 mechanics.......$22/hr
I have a parts manager...$22/hr
I have 2 mechanic helpers...$14
I have 2 parts workers/drivers...$12
I have 2 labors (to clear the shop)....$9 (2 over min)

minimum wage is $7.2

the 'government' raises the minimum wage to 15

now I HAVE to increase the laborers wage to AT LEAST 15.. and he will WANT $17 (2 over min)....but If I give the "unskilled" laborer $17 then the driver (must maintain a clean license) will want more (hey boss, I was making $3 more than the unskilled guy) ...as so on, and so on...

either that or you will make what was 'above' min wage skilled worker to being min wage workers

thus RAISING THE COSTS of my SERVICE that I provide to the society.....
I would to raise salaries on mech helpers, drivers, and laborers...not to mention the actual SKILLED workers....meanwhile the business will end up failing, because it not is too costly to stay in business

so either costs will go up....or people will get laid-off......because as a small shop owner I cant afford to give any more than I am giving

this is just one example of what will happen, if we try raising the min wage anymore

as to raising it to a federal 15/hr remember this about raising a min wage and how it effect/affect other things
and let's not forget the COST of raising it to 15...those workers are NOT going to see much of a raise....

it also increases the taxes on EVERYONE who fell in that zone
increase of income taxes
increase of payroll taxes
loss/reduction of ACA/Medicaid/repub-care health care subsidies
increase cost of health premiums
increase of state income taxes (if any)
loss/reduction of social benefits such as welfare/food stamps
increase on the prices of EVERYTHING

so possibly half of that raise magically disappears into the pockets of the politicians

the problem with all the fools shouting raise the min wage, is they don't see the big picture

Old 07-31-2018, 10:00 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
What should a ambulance driver earn then? I am curious. They earn $12 an hour now. One dollar more than laundry and dry-cleaning workers. I just dont see why ordinary Americans who do a proper shift each day shouldnt be allowed to live with some peace of mind.
They should earn whatever the market deems their job is worth.

Ever heard of learned helplessness? Poverty is not caused by low wages. Throwing money at the poor will not make them less poor. It is like pouring water on someone's hand. It is not very helpful.

My family immigrated to the US with nothing. NOTHING. My parents worked minimum wage jobs and they were able to buy a house, send all 5 of us kids to college, and now have a comfortable retirement. We now have 2 executives in the family.

You really want to help low wage people? Teach them useful skills like how to manage money and the ambition to move up in life. If they think the minimum wage is too low, then improve their skills and move up the ladder.

I will concede to your point if you are willing to admit that people are indeed helpless and they are incapable of taking care of themselves. Admit that and then we will talk some more.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Posts like this only confirm my belief that the words “conservative” and “liberal” have become meaningless. They’re nothing more than stereotypes: liberals are rich coastal elites who drive a Prius, go to Starbucks and shop at Whole Foods. Conservatives live in the Midwest or South, drive big Ford F-150s, go hunting, and shop at Wal-Mart. On actual policy issues, the terms mean nothing.
You just realized the forums are dominated by caricatures and extremists on either side of the political spectrum? I drive a Chevy Silverado and my husband drives a Chrys 300.

We shop wherever we can find good deals for high quality stuff.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:11 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,621,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Nobody owes you anything. If you can't make a living on your own, you need to talk to your parents.

Expecting and forcing others to pay for your living is slavery by definition.
So instead of paying people a living wage you would rather they be a slave to a corporation?

Old 07-31-2018, 10:13 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
And this is millions upon millions of families. Many have two adults working at least one full time job apiece.

Of course, now the chorus will set in of...

"Yeah but they have all made poor life decisions and live beyond their means buying bling, otherwise they'd be millionaires because America!"

Which is utter nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
Adjusting for inflation, a $15 minimum wage is still not nearly enough to give most people a decent quality of life. It never ceases to amaze me how right-wing Americans can't stop licking the boots of billionaire thieves while mean-spiritedly seeking to crush any help for their fellow Americans.
If you want a decent life you MUST get the skills required to afford that. You can't expect to work a MW job and have a decent life and raise a family, it's NEVER been like that. MW jobs are for the unskilled who refuse to get a skill and kids entering the workforce, it's not for adults to raise a family and own a home on. If the extent of your skillset is to work a fryer, flip a burger, work a register, stock shelves, etc. you need to better yourself or you can't expect to live like you're middle class. It's just that simple.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
For the same reason that you Conservatives are supporting any and every proposal to make the rich even richer.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:18 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
They should earn whatever the market deems their job is worth.

Ever heard of learned helplessness? Poverty is not caused by low wages. Throwing money at the poor will not make them less poor. It is like pouring water on someone's hand. It is not very helpful.

My family immigrated to the US with nothing. NOTHING. My parents worked minimum wage jobs and they were able to buy a house, send all 5 of us kids to college, and now have a comfortable retirement. We now have 2 executives in the family.

You really want to help low wage people? Teach them useful skills like how to manage money and the ambition to move up in life. If they think the minimum wage is too low, then improve their skills and move up the ladder.

I will concede to your point if you are willing to admit that people are indeed helpless and they are incapable of taking care of themselves. Admit that and then we will talk some more.
Exactly, it's pretty simple if you ask me. I worked for MW when I was young then I wanted more so I got a skill. That's just how it works.

Old 07-31-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
So instead of paying people a living wage you would rather they be a slave to a corporation?
Then don't be a slave to corporations and start your own business. Or are you saying you are too helpless to help yourself?

Old 07-31-2018, 10:26 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
You just realized the forums are dominated by caricatures and extremists on either side of the political spectrum? I drive a Chevy Silverado and my husband drives a Chrys 300.

We shop wherever we can find good deals for high quality stuff.
You missed my point.

When you’ve got people saying, “I’m a liberal, and I think the poor should pull themselves up by their own boot straps” and othe people saying “I’m a conservative, and I think that we need good-paying manufacturing jobs to benefit local communities,” then the terms “conservative” and “liberal” have become meaningless. Why? Because historically, the idea that businesses existed to create good paying jobs was considered “liberal” and the idea that the poor should pull themselves up was considered “conservative.”

It seems that the terms are nothing more than team labels. They’re no more meaningful than the terms “Crip” or “Blood,” “Sharks” or “Jets,” or “Steelers” or “Browns.”

Team labels. Nothing more. Because humans like conflict for its own sake. Every sports stadium is a monument to that fact. And our politicians have learned to take advantage of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies