Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 12:02 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I had earlier written that the defense went first, then state, for closing arguments. I obviously got it backwards. Hence, at the sentencing, the defense goes first, followed by the state.
It was reported that for this trial, the prosecution went first, then the defense, then the prosecutors have one more turn before it goes to the jury.

In most trials, the prosecution goes last. That has been my experience, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 12:08 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
Please, Donald. Pardon Manafort. Do it!
He won't.

If Manafort is found guilty, there's really nothing the cheeto can do. Sure, he could pardon him but everyone knows how that will look. Also, if he is pardoned he still will have to answer questions under oath and will not be able to plead the fifth.

Besides, Manafort still has to answer to state charges, and the cheeto can't pardon him from them.

So, it's basically useless for him to pardon Manafort.

...actually, that's probably why he will! We're getting closer to the cheeto shooting someone on Fifth Avenue and getting away with it! Who knows what an angry cheeto will do!

Old 08-15-2018, 12:22 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Unless Manafort becomes a credible threat to talk, there would be no reason for Trump to pardon him.

Manaford is well aware of the risk of talking.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:28 PM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
Trump could claim that Manafort was convicted wrongly.

However with his defense being nothing, I doubt Trumps lawyers would allow him near a pen.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:31 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,373,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
It was reported that for this trial, the prosecution went first, then the defense, then the prosecutors have one more turn before it goes to the jury.

In most trials, the prosecution goes last. That has been my experience, anyway.

I've been following trials live streamed for a very long time.. and always been Prosecution goes FIRST, then Defense..and Prosecutors always get a "Rebuttal Closing" to rebut important points Defense Closing suggested. It's usually much shorter than first closing by Prosecutors.

Following that, the Judge then"Instructs the JURY" with guidelines on how to conduct their deliberations, admonishing any attempts to do OUTSIDE research, discussions with anybody about the case. This includes family, friends, media, either side of case attorney's. Etc

It appears in this case, Jury Instructions MAY not occur until tomorrow morning, since they had a fairlyLONG lunch break.

Rationale ~~ Prosecution has very high bar for burden of proof.. so is allowed rebuttal to Defense.

BTW~~ Yesterday's delay in getting started most likely was due to ironing out with the Judge what both sides desired for instructions by the Judge. Doubt very much there was any Juror/Juror's issues that caused such a long delay. IMO anyway

Old 08-15-2018, 01:37 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Interesting strategy.

Quote:
Westling is also reminding jurors that Manafort is presumed innocent. The attorney says the evidence against Manafort has been selectively chosen by special counsel Robert Mueller’s team and doesn’t show jurors the full picture.
No lawyer I, but wouldn't it have been smart to introduce some evidence when it was the defense's turn? To show a fuller picture, as it were. "The prosecution didn't include the stuff that made our client look good" kinda makes you wonder - what's the job of the defense?

Old 08-15-2018, 01:41 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
^ Good point. the defense had a chance yesterday, they did nothing.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:44 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,227,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Interesting strategy.

No lawyer I, but wouldn't it have been smart to introduce some evidence when it was the defense's turn? To show a fuller picture, as it were. "The prosecution didn't include the stuff that made our client look good" kinda makes you wonder - what's the job of the defense?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx32b5igLwA

Old 08-15-2018, 02:05 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Interesting strategy.

In this case, all the defense had was to try to raise doubt in the jurors even though they had no defense.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:17 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Westling is also reminding jurors that Manafort is presumed innocent. The attorney says the evidence against Manafort has been selectively chosen by special counsel Robert Mueller’s team and doesn’t show jurors the full picture.

"SELECTIVELY CHOSEN"--you better believe it---
That is their job--to pick the evidence that points to GUILT
Why would they waste their time AND OUR MONEY to show a Manafort who was not doing criminal activities???

I get the "presumption of innocence" but let's be honest
Guilty. As. OJ.
So he better go down vs get hung jury--there is no way acquittal is happening...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies